7 month old big boy not getting enough calories?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

7 month old big boy not getting enough calories?

Postby Belleinfidele » 23 Oct 2015, 12:56

Although he's been on BLW almost 2 months now, it is dawning on me he might not be getting enough calories lately. A couple of weeks ago he started to crawl and is going faster, longer, further each day. And although he is getting better and better with BLW, 1/3 of the food still ends up in his "pocket" (the pocket in the apron). So I thought maybe I should feed him a sturdy puree just once a day to be sure he gets the calories?

OR, maybe you can comment/criticise his menu:
he eats 2-3 times a day with us. A typical meal is:
1/3 banana
3 steamed zuccini / carrot sticks
3 oven sweet potato / rarely regular potato sticks

Sometimes porridge fingers, fresh tomato pieces, very rarely bread+pate.

Actually, it does seem like a lean menu, doesn't it? I haven't given him any meat yet. Perhaps I should start?

I think the problem is that I don't seem to know how to incorporate him in our lives food-wise - either we forget to make salt-free food, or it's too spicy, or... And we've maybe still not got over the 'freshness' of him eating, thinking it's still just a 'show' while it should be more and more about calories.

Ok, I'll stop rambling.
Belleinfidele

Re: 7 month old big boy not getting enough calories?

Postby Marrow » 23 Oct 2015, 13:16

First thing, milk (breast or formula) is going to be the main source of calories for a little while yet. So as long as you aren't restricting that, then you're fine.

What do you mean by sturdy puree? What would you put in it? Why can't you just feed him that without pureeing it?

It does look like he is getting lots of low fat stuff. How about roasting the veg in oil instead of steaming it? Make chips in the oven? Hummous, peanut butter and avocado on bread-like product (or rice cake) are all good high calorie foods.

But if he's healthy and active, then I wouldn't worry - spend your effort trying to remember to leave the salt out of your cooking until you've taken his out! And unless it's really hot (as in painful), don't worry about spicy. My daughter went mad for lemon wedges and spring onions when she was that age - they like the strong flavours.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Belleinfidele » 23 Oct 2015, 13:24

Oh, I forgot to say why I am worried - it's because he is still waking up in the middle of the night erratically and from hunger. That's why I was thinking he may not be getting enough calories.
Belleinfidele

Postby Lily » 23 Oct 2015, 13:24

Breastmilk or formula will be supplying most of his calories at this age. But yes, that menu does look excessively low-fat! Try roasting veg in olive oil instead of steaming, and offer high-fat dips like Greek yogurt to go with the veg sticks. Make sure to incorporate plenty of butter or cream if you're making something like mashed potatoes, scrambled egg or porridge. Spread nut butters or mashed avocado on toast. And there's absolutely no reason to delay offering meat.

Obviously salt is a no-no, but he might surprise you with his tolerance for spices. Babies don't all prefer bland food! You might find it easier to cut the salt levels in your family meals if you replace salt with herbs or aromatics, so the result is still tasty as well as being baby-friendly.

X-posted with Marron

ETA night waking is (sadly) totally normal at this age and not necessarily anything to do with hunger. It may be a development spurt or just a matter of habit. You could night-wean if you want to.
Last edited by Lily on 23 Oct 2015, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Gizmo » 23 Oct 2015, 13:24

WSS^

Except the peanut butter. DS is allergic and we found out by him going into anaphylaxis. I would take him down the doctor or hospital and then give him a bit so you're there if he does have a reaction. Luckily our childrens hospital is at the end of our road so I was able to run him there and in screaming where they gave him meds that saved his life. Don't want to scare you and obviously loads of kids are fine but if I had my time again this is what I would do.
Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » 23 Oct 2015, 13:26

Apple wedges in a frying pan with butter and cinnamon so it's softened was a favourite.
Gizmo

Postby Lily » 23 Oct 2015, 13:28

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten how much Izbiz loved those! Will have to make some for Bee. Thanks Gizmo!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Gizmo » 23 Oct 2015, 13:29

Mine still love them at 4yo :)
Gizmo

Postby emzit » 24 Oct 2015, 00:25

mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Return to New to BLW?