Confused: Eat & Don't-eats different in BLW?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Confused: Eat & Don't-eats different in BLW?

Postby Belleinfidele » 23 Oct 2015, 12:43

As far as I've understood, in BLW you can give your baby almost anything you are eating (within reason, of course), but whenever I mention things like pate, egg (scrambled eggs, omelette), cheese, the not-BLWs go tst-tst-tst, you can't give it, because pate is too full of vitamin A, egg white causes whatnots etc. Please explain!
Belleinfidele

Re: Confused: Eat & Don't-eats different in BLW?

Postby Marrow » 23 Oct 2015, 13:07

With so-called traditional weaning, you usually start before six months, when there are restrictions.

If you wait until six months, there are many fewer restrictions - the NHS official guidelines are .

I think there's also quite a lot of confusion about what you can eat while pregnant vs what you can give a small baby (e.g. pate is best avoided in pregnancy because listeria is particularly bad for the placenta - not an issue for a baby).
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby DandelionFrosting » 23 Oct 2015, 13:20

You're right that BLW people tend to be a lot more relaxed about stuff like that. I don't know if it's specific to BLW, or just that more relaxed people tend to gravitate to BLW . . . . There have to be SOME relaxed people doing TW somewhere, right? Or maybe it's something that comes with the TW territory, all those charts that say how much of what you have to feed your baby and when and in what order. I don't know.

For what it's worth, the most recent research says that it's safer to introduce high-allergy foods like peanuts, eggs, milk, shrimp, etc. BEFORE 1. Up until recently, though, they'd been advising after, and a lot of TW advice hasn't been changed yet. As for things like too much of whatever thing (vitamin A, cholesterol, things like that), it's probably just that BLW lets the babies control how much they eat. We believe that babies know what nutrients they're getting and stop wanting that food when they get too much, so there's less chance of accidentally feeding them too much of something that's bad for them. (Except for salt and sugar, because those keep tasting good even long after you've had too much!) If I were spoonfeeding purees, though, and feeling totally responsible for my kids' nutrition, I'd probably worry, too. Or maybe I'm just not a worrying type of person, and that's what freed me to do BLW. Either way, don't let them talk you into panicking!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby emzit » 24 Oct 2015, 11:48

Egg needs to be well cooked up to a year, but cheese? What's wrong with cheese?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 24 Oct 2015, 12:22

Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 24 Oct 2015, 18:59

Cheese is as addictive as crack so perhaps that's it?
I'd rather have a huge chunk of gorgonzola than a manky old hit any day, personally. And, come to think of it, I'd give the cheese to my kids but probably not the crack.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Ali70 » 24 Oct 2015, 20:44

Sproglet has adored cheese from the start, even though it was the first think she gagged on spectacularly. The only reason id be wary of it is the high salt content, but in the early days we were just conscious of that and made sure she didn't have loads of I with other high salt stuff.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Return to New to BLW?