Baby eating too much? 9 month old being sick!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby eating too much? 9 month old being sick!

Postby Minicrinkle » 18 Oct 2015, 22:55

Hi

I'm looking for advice please!

I would have said a few days ago that blw was going great, our nine month old has always been a good eater from the start and has started eating lots, she can sometimes eat for an hour and a half.... and I mean eat, she isn't playing with her food....but twice in the last three nights she has been sick after she has been put to bed. It's happened every now and then before, but now I'm wondering if it's too much to eat, or too much variety in one day, or something specific? I'd be surprised if it's an allergy, she was sick tonight but she didn't have anything new introduced into her diet...and it doesn't seem like food poisoning as its a one off and she isn't even that upset once she's been sick, she sits there smiling while we clean and towel her off and redress her and then has more milk (she's still breast fed) and off to sleep....

So today she had the following:
- milk feed at 5am
- breakfast at 9am: weetabix, yoghurt, lots of blueberries
- milk feed at 10am
- lunch at 12:30pm: mostly home made risotto with courgettes, tinned tomato and mixed peppers and cheese, plus chicken and broccoli from yesterday thrown in (all kept refrigerated), a few strawberries, then bits of what we were eating in a restaurant being a calamari ring in batter, some bits of pasta (not much more than a strand or two as it was spaghetti/linguini and she throws it around), a slice of mushroom and ham pizza (she can easily finish an adult slice)
- attempt to give formula at 4.30pm (she didn't ignore it but she didn't have much.....she's never taken milk from a cup or bottle so we are trying again as she is off to start nursery in six weeks)
- dinner at 5pm : half an advocado, spinach and green beans, a slice of toast, a piece of mango, kiwi and a few blueberries, two strawberries, a bit of a white bread roll with butter
- milk feed at 6.30pm (she drank loads)
- pre-bed milk feed at 8pm

Thanks xx
Minicrinkle

Re: Baby eating too much? 9 month old being sick!

Postby emzit » 18 Oct 2015, 23:15

She sounds like a poster BLW baby!

To me that just sounds like a coincidence. Who knows what these little bubbas are up to?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Oct 2015, 18:03

When my girls are sick in the night they don't seem to care. Now that SM is a bit older it worries her a bit more I think but she's usually fine pretty quickly afterwards. Also, when she picks up a bug she's often sick for several nights but seems absolutely fine during the day, luring us into a false sense of security lol. Maybe she just has a bug.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Minicrinkle » 19 Oct 2015, 20:40

Thanks! I won't change anything for now, I was starting to think I had to limit her on what she eats even though I really didn't want to, especially as my MIL stayed this weekend and kept saying she was overeating even before she was sick!
Minicrinkle

Postby mamapup » 19 Oct 2015, 22:06

Wow. Great guns. I thought my little Croc was an amazing eater as a baby but that is impressive!

I wouldn't have thought she's over eating exactly but she might still be learning how to regulate her own intake. If she really enjoys the process of eating then she will need to figure this out for herself. Limiting on her behalf won't help as you don't know how or when to say she's full and get it right necessarily.

My.puppy had a few spectacular vomits in the early days. He'd eat whatever he was eating and then not realise he needed to cut down the milk intake so everything would come up. He'd be fine, as you said your little one is.

So, my view is that she'll figure this out without any change from you, she might not have learned that food fills her up the same way milk does.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Oct 2015, 22:20

Wtas, especially with regards to what mp said about learning to regulate how much she eats. It's not really something you can do for her...
I'm also wondering if she might be getting sick due to wind. We all swallow air when we eat. It's natural. That's why we burp after a meal. When small babies burp, they bring up a bit of their milk along with the air. Maybe she's still doing a bit of that.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Minicrinkle » 22 Oct 2015, 20:30

Thanks again everyone! It's a good point that she's learning at the moment, and I guess her digestive system is still immature even if her appetite isn't! I've decided I'm going to make sure she gets at least half an hour of active play after her final meal and make sure there's at least two hours before her meal and bed to help her digest and I'm hoping that the play sessions will also sort the problem if it is wind! No more sick incidents yet!
Minicrinkle

Return to New to BLW?