From puree to BLW. HELP!!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

From puree to BLW. HELP!!

Postby laurenstacey1985 » 18 Oct 2015, 21:01

Hi,

My LO is currently 6 and a half months. We started him on purees at about 4 and a half months (agree or not thats not the reason for my post, we had our reasons). I am very interested in BLW and how it works. But I am petrified of the thought of it with the whole choking thing. We have already experienced it and it is etched in my mind, and now since then he seems to be a gaggy baby. Even gagging on his sick etc (Dont like it, its scary).
Also though I have no idea how to get started now? Can someone please help me and give me some advice on how to start and what to do.
In all honesty do people think its worth it now that hes already had to start with purees?? If its not worth it, how do I slowly increase him the more solid food as he isnt going to be on purees his whole life??
Can you tell im a new mum.
Sorry.
laurenstacey1985

Re: From puree to BLW. HELP!!

Postby EnigmaFish » 18 Oct 2015, 22:14

Yes, and don't be sorry.
Of course it's worth starting BLW now. As you said, he won't be on purées his whole life. BLW is just a way of introducing your baby to grown-up food. It really doesn't matter what path you took to get there.
Honestly, the easiest thing to do is to give him some of your meal next time you are all sitting down together. Give him big pieces - chip or finger sized. Just put a couple of things on the tray of his high chair and let him play with them while you eat. He is unlikely to ingest anything this soon, but he gets a chance to explore food and learn about different tastes and textures.
Do you usually give him his purées before or after your own meal? Go ahead and give him the purées at the normal time. For now, consider the times that he has "real" food to be play or learning times. Plus, it's better that he is not actually hungry when he's playing with his food, since he will be more relaxed then.
The best thing you can do, both for your peace of mind and for your baby, is to do a first aid course. They can teach you how to help your son if he chokes again. Next to that, make sure you give him big pieces (bigger in circumference than a sausage) and avoid whole grapes, cherries and nuts. Some children are gaggier than others, but gagging is okay. If someone is gagging (making noise), they're getting air in and they'll likely be able to work the problem out themselves. It's hard to explain this part over the internet, which is why a first aid course is so helpful.
I hope that answers some of your questions. :) Your first paragraph seems a bit defensive of your choice to do purées. Don't worry about that. We're not judgemental here. You did traditional weaning, and you might continue to do TW, but you came here looking for information on BLW and so that's what we're going to give you. If you want a lot of trolls yelling at you, you'll have to find a different corner of the internet for that. :wink:
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby emzit » 18 Oct 2015, 23:13

All of what EF said, especially about how nice we are. :D

I just wanted to ask if you've read Gill Rapley's book? It's really good, I found it really helped me make sense of BLW so I felt much more comfortable doing it.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby laurenstacey1985 » 19 Oct 2015, 06:49

Sorry to come across all defensive some people can be very judgemental and guess I just wanted to cover that aspect first.
Thank you do much for your replies they have being very nice and helpful.
I haven't get read the books but they are currently in my Amazon shopping cart.
I will definitely be looking at a first aid course think it'll settle me a bit like u said.
Thank u
laurenstacey1985

Postby emzit » 19 Oct 2015, 08:48

That's OK - there are a lot of trolls out there, but luckily not here.

Good luck with it!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Oct 2015, 08:57

No, I completely understand. The Internet is full of people who say things they wouldn't dream of saying to a person in real life, and that's just not on. That's the main reason I've made this forum my internet "home": here, we agree, or we disagree, but we do it without being nasty to each other. Welcome. :)
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby DandelionFrosting » 19 Oct 2015, 09:32

Have you by any chance been reading the Facebook group? There are a few extremists in there. Don't mind them; we're not all like that! Good luck on your BLW journey!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Return to New to BLW?