What to do before baby is ready for solids?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

What to do before baby is ready for solids?

Postby Julianne8 » 18 Oct 2015, 15:05

My son is 4 months old today Oct 18th, he all of a sudden has become a super fast feeder (EBF) and seems to want more after Im completely emptied out? I def am going to do BLW but my son isnt ready, he cant sit up at all on his own and I dont believe hed know how to hold food and chomp/suck whatever? So Im wondering should I do very liquidy rice cereal in bottle/cup, once or twice a day?

Thanks!
Julianne8

Re: What to do before baby is ready for solids?

Postby Marrow » 18 Oct 2015, 16:18

BF works by demand and supply - if he's feeding frequently, you will produce more to meet the demand.

I wouldn't give him anything except milk (breast or formula) until he's ready for solids (i.e. sitting up etc). If you don't want to BF as frequently as he is demanding, I would go for formula over rice cereal - much more nutritious.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 18 Oct 2015, 17:09

Remember too that there's no such thing as an 'empty' breast. As long as your LO is nursing, your breasts will produce. As Marron said, keep feeding, your supply will adjust to his demand.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 18 Oct 2015, 21:24

I think there's a growth spurt that happens around four months - I'm terrible for remembering the timelines on these things. So, if he is due for a growth spurt, his body tells him that he needs to suck at your breast more, before the growth spurt happens. This then tells your breasts to make more milk, so that when the growth spurt hits he will have plenty of milk to drink.
Extra sucking doesn't mean the breasts are dry. It means more milk is coming.
And yeah, if you want to give him something else to give yourself a break (completely understandable), then go for a bottle of formula rather than that "rice" "cereal" wallpaper paste.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to New to BLW?