Choking/gagging/whatever

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Choking/gagging/whatever

Postby cappuccino » 10 Oct 2015, 20:55

This past week, my son (7.5 months old) choked on soft fruit, twice. The first incidence on Wednesday was with a soft, steamed piece of apple, the second on Friday was with a ripe, chip-sized piece of pear. In both cases, he all of a sudden put way too much into his mouth, and began gagging really, really hard, but then managed to spit out the piece of fruit that had been blocking him. He's been gagging and coughing on occasion before, but never anything like this; his eyes became wide, he had a panicked look on his face, and I was really worried I would have to perform CPR on him (I did a First Aid Course a few months ago, I just don't want to (need to) perform it). Since this happened twice within just three days I am now TERRIFIED of giving him anything to eat. In addition, I really don't know what went wrong - it was soft fruit, cut into sticks the size of my pink, he fed himself - if he'll choke on that, then what can I give him that he won't choke on?

In short, I really need some perspective, and also some ideas what I can give him safely. I'm wondering if maybe the apple and the pear were too soft, in the sense that they were so slippery that it was too easy for him to put a too big piece into his mouth? So maybe I need to give him less slippery stuff - but what?
Espresso, born Feb 2015
cappuccino

Re: Choking/gagging/whatever

Postby Lily » 11 Oct 2015, 15:17

There's a very big and important difference between gagging and choking. Gagging can look alarming but it isn't dangerous - it's your baby's way of protecting himself from swallowing things he can't manage. He will gradually learn how much to bite off, if you let him continue to practise.

You can always recognise choking because it's silent. As long as your baby is making a noise, you know he's okay because air must be passing through his airways. If he were truly choking, the airways would be blocked, so he would be silent.

Try not to panic. If you seem anxious, your baby will likely pick up on that, and he'll be panicky too. The gagging is just a phase, and the more opportunities you give him to learn, the sooner this stage will be over!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby ches » 11 Oct 2015, 15:55

Both were big learning occasions for him. I agree, he didn't choke, he gagged. My eldest had a couple occasions of vomiting after a big gag. The first was on pear I thought was ripe enough, but really, it wasn't for where his eating skills were. Admittedly, also, in hind sight, he has a pretty severe tongue tie, which restricts how he moves his tongue and controls food. At 7.5 mo, my eldest ate nothing. Literally nothing. My youngest was just getting started. I'd stick with ripe bananas, pieces of peanut butter sandwich, twisty pasta noodles (rotelli?), and cheerios. A month from now he'll have better fine motor skills and more practice at moving and controlling food in his mouth.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby cappuccino » 11 Oct 2015, 21:00

Lily, ches, thank you for your kind words. It probably was gagging and not choking, but because it looked so much more severe than anything he had done before, I wasn't sure. I made a short list of foods I think he can manage easily (omelette, steamed carrots, French toast, maybe roasted pumpkin), and for the next week or so I'll probably feed him solids at the end of the day when my husband is at home as well. This morning he actually already had a banana without any problems... thanks again!
Espresso, born Feb 2015
cappuccino

Postby smileykel » 13 Dec 2015, 21:31

Hi Capuccino,

I was wondering how you are getting on since this post? I am new to BLW and we had a very minor choking incident today (it was like 2 seconds but still scary) so I'm very interested to see if things improved for you.

K
smileykel

Postby cappuccino » 13 Dec 2015, 21:49

He's doing really well! He's actually doing so well that I worry more about whether he'll like what I cook than whether he'll be able to eat it. We had lamb tagine tonight, and even though the meat wasn't as tender as I had hoped, and even though he only has just a millimetre of a single tooth, he ate it (and chewed!), no idea how. If you're unsure, just go back for a while to the foods you know he/she can manage for sure. Also, for my assurance just as much as his, I always praised him for coughing and spitting out as a way of learning how to manage the food in his mouth.
Espresso, born Feb 2015
cappuccino

Postby smileykel » 13 Dec 2015, 22:18

Thanks! That's great to hear and good to know. I think the mistake I made today was making the toast finger too long. Looking back at the (copious) pictures pre-incident, the bit sticking out of her first was about 3 inches long and was begging to be broken off in one big piece, so it's a lesson learned really!
smileykel

Return to New to BLW?