Funniest Reactions by others

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Funniest Reactions by others

Postby Tealsmama » 09 Oct 2015, 02:34

I have just started blw with my 6 month old :) she is loving it sooo much. I am amazed at how easily she is figuring it out !
Other people's reactions are very interesting but the one that makes me laugh the most is "don't you want her to learn how to use a spoon?", haha like letting my 6 month old eat with her hands is going to keep her from learning how to eat with a spoon someday hahaha! I have heard it from more than a few people, I have a hard time not laughing at them :? Let's hear your stories :)
Tealsmama

Re: Funniest Reactions by others

Postby emzit » 09 Oct 2015, 08:01

Because spoon feeding teaches her how to hold the spoon and guide it to her mouth herself! :)

Glad you're enjoying it!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby DandelionFrosting » 09 Oct 2015, 14:11

Ha ha, the most common reaction I've gotten is slowly backing away from the mess . . . .
Although I've been known to bait people by giving my baby ridiculous things to eat in public, like handing the six-month-old a whole crab leg at a barbecue, or letting the toddler wander around the park clutching a peach the size of his own head, or bringing two whole bell peppers for their snack at the children's center. And I thoroughly enjoy the looks of panic and the chorus of, "Oh no, she can't eat THAT, can she?" and "Oh my gosh, he's going to choke!" Followed by disbelief when the whole thing gets devoured. (Although Zilla didn't eat the crab leg, she just had fun bending it around, and got mad when I eventually cracked it open and spoiled her game.)
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby mamapup » 09 Oct 2015, 20:26

We had some disbelief on the eurostar today when our kids sat and ate sushi. The American couple opposite us couldn't believe what they were seeing.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ickleeric » 09 Oct 2015, 20:34

Yes the whole spoon issue was definitely the funniest. My mother, who was actually quite accepting of blw did say on more than one occasion "but in polite society they will have to use cutlery". I'm not sure what kind of society my mum thinks I mix in, and can't believe she actually thought that I wouldn't be introducing cutlery. Anyway both of mine self fed with spoons before the age of one. My dad went down the whole "I worry about the iron intake" route, understandable as it's something most seem to worry about but considering I have a degree in nutrition I do think he could have trusted that I wouldn't neglect the vitamins and minerals! Best reaction the other way was when my little one was eating cucumber and sandwiches at 8 months old and some very jealous grandparents said that they weren't allowed to give their 9 month old grandaughter anything that wasn't mushed to oblivion but we're longing to give her some real food!
Mum to the wee man (April 2010) and the little lady (Sept 2013) both connoisseurs of the BLW cookbook.
ickleeric

Postby emzit » 10 Oct 2015, 00:00

I've never really had negative comments. My mum thought we were insane but changed her mind by the time I found out how anti it she was. PIL didn't see muncher eating until 11 months so didn't have much to say, by then he was a pro and they thought it was great he was eating better than his 9yo cousin who had to have everything covered in sauce.

I've had a few looks with sushi too - squish has loved it since 6 months - but they were oh my, look at that sweet little boy eating sushi looks. He can eat a hand roll without dropping a single piece of rice now!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby emzit » 10 Oct 2015, 00:00

And also, yay for grandparents who listen to their kids - even though it was about only feeding mush.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Tealsmama » 10 Oct 2015, 01:35

Thanks Everyone :) Great stories, Looking forward to the Sushi :D
Tealsmama

Postby Riotproof » 10 Oct 2015, 12:41

Mum said "what about just a little mashed pumpkin?" And then bragged to everyone about how well her grandson ate after her mil commented on how he only eats healthy food, and enjoys it so much. She's a lovely old lady.
My sister couldn't get her head round it, and fed him mashed peach at 12 months old while I was indisposed.

Fil thinks it's weird. We ignore him.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Mummamac » 10 Oct 2015, 19:26

When I explained the concept to DH he asked what sort of hippy crap I was subject our son to! Lol! He also mishear me say 'baby led weaning', and thought it was 'baby linguine'. To this day we often say, "Time for linguine" when it is mealtime and when he does a poo, it is a linpoopy. Lol! For the record, DH was 100% on board, just likes to call me weird. :wink:

I also have had a lot of people impressed with how well he handles 'real' food. Makes the mess way worth it!
Mummamac

Postby yorkshirepudding » 10 Oct 2015, 20:14

Oh god this just reminded me of my mum going on and on about baby rice, aaaargh! She phrased it in so many ways, she really wanted to shovel it in him but knew I would kill her! She read the intro to the book, and said oh yes, this is what I did... But mashed it up and spoon fed us, think you've missed the point there mum. Wonder if she'll try again this time round...
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Return to New to BLW?