Off to a good start! With a couple noob questions

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Off to a good start! With a couple noob questions

Postby MrsKChicago » 27 Sep 2015, 20:25

We started BLW with my 6.5 month old about a week ago and it's going really well. So far we've done sweet potato, avocado, mashed potatoes and egg. He loved the sweet potato, couldn't seem to figure the avocado out, was not a fan of the mashed potatoes, and is still making up his mind on the egg. Apparently my son is a bit of an overachiever. I was surprised to see that he actually managed to eat a little of the sweet potato, and I just watched him grab a piece of egg yolk, bite off a chunk, chew it up, and swallow it without even gagging.

For slippery foods like avocado, I've heard you can coat them in crushed cereal so they're easier to grip, but nobody has been specific about what kind of cereal. Are we talking regular cereal like Cheerios? Some kind of special baby cereal?

I don't mind the mess, but is there anything good at this stage that isn't a total disaster? I wouldn't mind giving him a cracker or something to entertain himself while I drink my coffee in the morning, but I don't want to have to hose him and the high chair down three times a day yet.
Mama to Teddy, born March 2015
MrsKChicago

Re: Off to a good start! With a couple noob questions

Postby mamapup » 27 Sep 2015, 21:57

Embrace the mess for it will embrace you. Sorry to bring the bad news! Full sleeve bibs are your friend for the next six months.

I'd never bother coating avocado. If he gets it he gets it, if he doesn't, well, he'll get it soon enough!

Easy breakfast foods are porridge fingers, dry cereal, yoghurt (although really very messy). Rice cakes and hummus is good, toast and avocado smashed on it, or banana too.

Really just pick out a few bits from what youre eating and chuck them in front of him. Don't bother making special meals as the painful rule.of thumb is that the more effort you make the less he'll eat.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. You made a great choice to start blw and an even better choice to sign up here, we're very friendly and full of helpful, and sometimes.sarcastic, advice.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby MrsKChicago » 27 Sep 2015, 22:34

The bibs only make it worse. He gets himself good and dirty and then flaps the bib all over the place. It's the world's greatest toy :D We just strip him down to his diaper for meals and wash the high chair straps now and then.

What exactly is a porridge finger? I don't think we have them here, or at least not by that name, but I've seen them mentioned in the context of BLW a lot.

I'm not going to too much trouble making him meals, but my lunches are... uh... slightly less than healthy at times. Hopefully BLW will get us on the right track there, but until then, I'm guessing jalapeno cheetos and a sippy cup of coffee aren't ideal ;) Our dinners are usually a bit better. Maybe I'll give him a few noodles tonight.

And you're right, everyone here has been very welcoming. I joined a Facebook group as well and it moves faster, but isn't half as pleasant. I speak sarcasm as a second language, so I shouldn't have any trouble there.
Mama to Teddy, born March 2015
MrsKChicago

Postby Lily » 28 Sep 2015, 18:22

An easier way to deal with slippery foods like avocado or mango is to leave the skin on, as a sort of grippy handle. Then he can gum the good stuff off it and still have something to hold.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to New to BLW?