Foods to avoid at the start?

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Foods to avoid at the start?

Postby Wig2415 » 14 Sep 2015, 00:49

Hi, just wondering if there are foods I should be avoiding while bub is little (almost 6 months)... I know to avoid sugar, honey and excessive salt, but are things like egg and fish ok? If there is a clear guide as to suggestions of what to offer when, I'd love to see it!

So far I've offered roast/steamed carrot, potato and sweet potato, puree pear (to get the poop happening!), avocado (fail - too slippery!), banana (again, too slippery), zucchini, strawberries in mesh feeder and strips of chicken breast.
Finding the only thing she can hold successfully is carrot! Really struggling with slippery foods.
Wig2415

Re: Foods to avoid at the start?

Postby Marrow » 14 Sep 2015, 07:55

You've got the list of things to avoid right. The only thing to add is hard round choking hazards (like whole nuts/grapes/cherry tomatoes).

Slippery is difficult! Ideas: leave some skin on as a handle, roll in oats or breadcrumbs, mash it onto a rice cake / oat cake / loaded spoons, or roast it so it gets a bit more structural integrity. Bananas you can push a finger down down the middle, and they fall into three long triangular pieces which are easier to hold.

Any particular reason you are using a mesh feeder? My DD loved strawberries as soon as she tasted them, and couldn't get enough in! She's July-born, so they've always been a big part of birthday celebrations.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Re: Foods to avoid at the start?

Postby Riotproof » 14 Sep 2015, 13:03

How about roasted potato wedges? I find I need the bigger potatoes to make it long enough for her fist and to shove in.
Breadsticks? Be careful with those and check the sodium. I found the normal ones have much less than the super organic, special baby ones.
Round rice crackers broken in half
Long strips of roast chicken
Avocado works well on crackers/toast but even if you leave the skin on or spoon with loaded spoons (as in hand the spoon over to her with the food in it)

I think carrot is excellent though, because even though it's tender, it stays together so well.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Return to New to BLW?