Feeling a bit discouraged :(

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Feeling a bit discouraged :(

Postby MrsMath » 10 Sep 2015, 12:13

Hi All

My little girl turned 6 months on 21 August and we've introduced a variety of fruits and vegetables (sweet potato, mango, broccoli, cucumber, red capsicum, frozen mango, zucchini, banana, avocado, stewed apple) but I've decided to give her a break for a couple of weeks as she was showing zero interest in her food - even if I was eating with her. She's just cracked her first two teeth (both at the same time - yikes!) so I'm thinking maybe it's all just a bit much for her at the moment (she's even less interested in the boob at the moment as well) and she might just need a little break to let the teeth settle. What do you think? :?:

I was talking to my best friend who has a 2.5 yr old and a baby who is 9 weeks older than my girl and she asked today how Frankie was going with solids and I told her what I was planning and she - in a very subtle way - said that I should be putting her on purees and that she won't be getting any nutrients from BLW blah, blah, blah and it's been bugging me ALL! DAY! LONG!!! :oops:

Her toddler was screaming in the back ground so I didn't feel like shouting over the top of her to explain that she is getting all of her nutrients from breastmilk and that "food before one is just for fun" but I know when I speak to her again she's sure to bring it up. Any suggestions on short, to the point responses that will stop her from thinking I'm starving my child!? :o

Thanks in advance :D
MrsMath

Re: Feeling a bit discouraged :(

Postby junglewonderland » 10 Sep 2015, 12:26

Hi there,

Junglebaby is 6 days older than your little girl! How lovely are 6 month olds....awwww.

Is your little girl generally interested in things, grabbing at toys, putting them in her mouth etc?

I wouldn't give her a break as such. If she is awake when you are eating, I would put her in her high chair with a little bit of what you are eating (so you are not doing lots of prep, as long as it is not a choking hazard) and enjoy the mealtime together. Forget about how much she is eating and think of it as highchair playtime with food. Even if she is not getting anything down, it will still be great for her hand eye coordination, fine motor skills, social skills, etc.

If she is asleep or you skip a few meals, don't worry about it.

As for your friend, the best response will be getting together in a few months time when your baby is masterfully feeding herself. Til then she probably won't get it, just nod and smile! And I know plenty of spoon fed babies at this age who aren't eating anything, they just spit it straight back out.

Good luck!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby StJuniper » 11 Sep 2015, 02:44

BM is way better nutritionally than watery purées-- it's jam packed with the good stuff. At first they tend not to digest them anyhow, it's just hard to spot purées in the diapers because they blend in with the poop! I agree with jw's suggestions but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby gallicgirl » 13 Sep 2015, 13:15

To me weaning isn't about adding nutrients but about learning to explore tastes and textures and learning to eat.Milk is full of the nutrients they need at this point whereas purees are watered down. Milk is also far more calorific than any food they might ingest so you're certainly not starving her.

However it's all individual choice so try the line "this is what works for us". In addition BLW is recommended by the NHS so it's not dangerous or a passing fad.

As for the teething, babies do go off their food for a bit. Keep perservering and don't overwhelm her with too much food. She'll pick it up in her own time.
gallicgirl

Return to New to BLW?