Encouragement Needed

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Encouragement Needed

Postby samjohill » 02 Sep 2015, 14:13

My daughter is 6 months and 2 weeks old (with no teeth in sight) and we started BLW 2 weeks ago. She is VERY interested in putting everything on her tray in her mouth. She really enjoys sitting at the table with her mom and dad and she LOVES vegetables, especially broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, and bell pepper. Our problem is not her, it is us. I bought the BLW book and feel confident while reading through it and while reading posts on this website. We also have taken an infant CPR class. However, while we are sitting with her and eating, we are so nervous about her choking we are taking years off of our life with all of our self-imposed anxiety and stress. She is doing everything she needs to be doing, spitting out big pieces, gagging, and has even thrown up a couple times and been just fine. She is acting exactly like the book and the website suggests, but every time she tears off a big piece of bread, or gets a big piece of banana stuck to the roof of her mouth, or chomps down on a potato cake, our hearts stop until she spits it out or swallows it. I am not sure how much more of this stress we can take. I have not read any restrictions on food except the obvious round ones like hot dogs, grapes, nuts, etc., but at this age is there anything we should avoid? Bread, bananas, etc.? Can someone please give me some encouragement that we should not stop, that we are doing everything right, that we would have to go through the introduction of solids eventually anyways? Thank you so much for your time and support!
samjohill

Re: Encouragement Needed

Postby Lily » 02 Sep 2015, 19:04

You are absolutely doing everything right! Babies can gag on anything, including purees, and the only way she will learn how to manage food in her mouth is by practising. It sounds like she's doing brilliantly, and you will probably find that her skills develop very quickly.

Bread can be quite a gaggy food, as it tends to stick to the roof of the mouth. You could try replacing it with toast, crackers or rice cakes until she's a little older.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Ali70 » 02 Sep 2015, 20:18

You're absolutely doing the right thing. I saw it as my job to provide her with a safe environment within which to experiment with learning to eat. That's what you're doing. You're giving her the right stuff and you know how to cope if anything goes wrong. Now your job is to sit back and let her learn (whilst taking lots of photos to take your mind off things).

I hope you manage to relax and enjoy it soon. I honestly have so many fond memories of watching Sproglet working out how to eat and enjoying new things.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Kate888 » 02 Sep 2015, 21:55

This was me 3 years ago! Our son is now 3.5 and the possibility of him choking isn't something that bothers me any more. I just wish he'd now eat even a fraction of the veg variety you describe (and which he ate as a baby), the worries just change with time!

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, just hang in there. The way I thought of it which helped a bit was that gagging was a good sign that his defence mechanisms were working so a sign that he was less, not more, likely to choke. I also spoke to a health visitor at the time who had been an A and E nurse. He said he had never seen a case of a choking baby. Plus if you really want to go down that way of thinking I actually remember looking up the number of babies who died per year from choking, cases were practically non existent. But I know that gagging is instinctively disconcerting to watch, whatever the statistics say. Might it help if you feed baby with friends who are also feeding their babies but seem more relaxed about it. That helped me as their calm vibes rubbed off on me. I also bought the BLW cookbook. I know the idea of BLW is that you can feed them anything you're eating, but actually having a book of "recommended" ideas to follow also reassured me that I was doing it safely.
Kate888

Postby Cofa's Tree » 03 Sep 2015, 06:15

Yep, as the others have said, it sounds like you and your daughter are doing everything right...it's just the 'sit on your hands and breathe' phase! As Lily suggests, Daniel couldn't handle bread or pastry for ages as it would just end up stuck to the roof of his mouth, so I stuck to toast and rice cakes for the first few months (he didn't actually eat the rice cakes, which I can't blame him for as they are pretty tasteless things, but he just used to lick the toppings off - hummus, cream cheese, banana, etc).
Cofa's Tree

Postby samjohill » 03 Sep 2015, 15:51

Thank you all so much. I appreciate all of the kind and helpful words. Hanging in there! It is actually very fun and rewarding once we calm down and enjoy the meal time.
samjohill

Return to New to BLW?