Baby's Enthusiasm is Waning!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby's Enthusiasm is Waning!

Postby Shannon » 28 Aug 2015, 04:24

Hi All!

My son is almost six months old, and we started BLW a few weeks ago. He was VERY interested in everyone's food when we started, and it seemed to go well enough. Then about 10 days ago he had a pickle. He loved that pickle. I mean, LOVED IT. Now he is not interested in any food that isn't a pickle. I decided after the first pickle not to give him any more, because I didn't want him to decide he was only going to eat pickles. Since then, he sits in his high chair and has a grand time being sociable with us, but he hasn't showed any interest in picking up food at all. He's also stopped watching us eat and being really interested in what we are doing. After about 10 days, I gave him another pickle, just to see what would happen, and yes, he loved it.

So, right now I'm continuing to put him in his high chair and put some food in front of him and let him take it from there. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there an argument for just giving him a steady diet of pickles?

Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon

Re: Baby's Enthusiasm is Waning!

Postby Lily » 28 Aug 2015, 07:27

He's not yet 6 months - just give him a little time! Lots of BLW babies don't eat anything at all until they're 8 or 9 months, or even closer to a year old. Any interest in food is great at this early stage, so yes, I'd just keep on offering a variety of foods and try to be patient.

When my son was tiny, he was often more inclined to eat something new if I also offered an established favourite alongside it. You may not want to go down this route with pickles, though, as the salt levels are likely too high for a little baby to take on a regular basis.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Baby's Enthusiasm is Waning!

Postby Shannon » 28 Aug 2015, 14:27

The salt and acidity is definitely something I worry about!
Shannon

Return to New to BLW?