8 Month Old Not Interested in Food

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

8 Month Old Not Interested in Food

Postby BabyMama123 » 28 Aug 2015, 00:50

I started BLW when my baby was 6 months. He really couldn't grasp the food and wasn't interested. So I tried again a few weeks later. He did start to grasp the food, smoosh it up, sometimes bring it to his mouth and a couple of times even seemed to eat some.

But now at nearly 8 months, he basically picks up the food (carrots, banana, avocado, sweet potato etc) and drops it.

He is cutting another tooth, and has been very interested in crawling and standing up.

Someone please reassure me that this is normal. Do I simply keep offering and let him do the rest?

I'm very uptight about this b/c with my older son I did purees - he wasn't interested in food until closer to 18 months, all he wanted to do was nurse. He was completely healthy and gained weight but wasn't into food and has always always always been a picky eater.

It left me with a complex that there was something I failed out. Now I'm thinking, "great here we go again, another kid who will be a picky eater".
BabyMama123

Re: 8 Month Old Not Interested in Food

Postby ches » 29 Aug 2015, 11:18

My eldest didn't eat every day until he was closer to 2. He finally deigned to eat during growth spurts at 11 & 13 mo. He was huge and very mobile and curious, so it wasn't a problem. Blw took the pressure off because I knew it was my job to offer and let him do the rest. ... But, when he was several years older I discovered he has severe tongue and lip ties, which made it harder for him to eat. If those had been snipped perhaps nursing would have been less painful and he might have eaten sooner. I had started him on purees and he didn't want those either. He's a strapping 8yo now and outgrowing his picky ways. His picky habits are definitely personality (fear of change) and not how he was weaned.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Re: 8 Month Old Not Interested in Food

Postby Kate888 » 01 Sep 2015, 17:21

My son barely touched solids until between 8 and 9 months. I think there's a huge range of "normal" when it comes to the age that they start recognising food for the lovely stuff that it is. My son's now 3.5 and I've no concerns about his food intake. That said he's not really into fruit and veg. I did wonder if the fact that I'm not a big fruit eater either might have affected him, but I love veg and salad and he's not into them either. I don't know how old your eldest is, but my understanding is that "picky eating" to some degree is completely normal in children. Have you read this;http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9305723/Fussy-eater-or-food-neophobic.html
Kate888

Return to New to BLW?