Baby's weight and BLW

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Baby's weight and BLW

Postby VivaLaMama » 26 Aug 2015, 22:01

Hi everyone, I'd be grateful for your advice and insight. My LO is 8 months and we've been BLW for 2 months - offering a variety of food groups, textures etc.

My LO has been receptive to BLW and enjoys mealtimes which has been a good start. She tries everything and attempts to munch it, although isn't swallowing much just yet. She is taking 4 x 7 oz bottles and has been gaining weight well until her weigh in yesterday when her weight was the same as 3 weeks ago.

The health visitor advised dropping one of her feeds to the 'recommended' 20oz guideline amount to increase her appetite for solids (she actually referred to milk as just a side drink, which I don't agree with). My instinct is that dropping a feed may not improve her appetite as she is very interested in food, but rather it is her skills that are developing. I understood with BLW that she would drop her feeds naturally over time as she starts to take in more solids, but I am obviously keen for her not to lose weight as a FTM have no previous experience to reassure!

Does anyone have any experience of this? Equally, I'd appreciate any advice on how to incorporate more protein and carbohydrates into my LO's diet, as she finds meat, breads, pasta etc difficult to munch at present!

Sorry for the long list and thanks for your help!
VivaLaMama

Re: Baby's weight and BLW

Postby CJWelch » 27 Aug 2015, 05:27

Hi

My 10 month old twins have also slowed down dramatically in their weight gain but I think that's normal and am trying not to worry. Both enjoy food but don't have a massive appetite at the moment. They are offered 3 bottles a day of 200-240 ml and often don't even finish that so they are obviously both in a less hungry phase. This is the point of BLW right? We listen to our babies. I think 8 months is an age where really everything is about exploring and discovering and not necessarily getting lots of nutrition or calories from food. Regarding protein and carbs - at that age my twins didn't manage much more than meat juices in stews (bread dipped in) and from sucking on a bit of steak. Minced beef/pork etc. was the first (and remains the easiest) type of meat for them to handle and eat. We make little minced beef patties (like mini burgers) as well as the standard bolognese and lasagne which are enjoyed by all the family. We also give them very thinly sliced roast beef which they now manage too (they wouldn't have at 8 months though). Carbohydrates we offer are pasta, potatoes (slices of jacket potato in particular), bread, rice (egg-fried keeps it together, or risotto). If you LO doesn't eat those things yet, just keep offering and as long as they are having fun and exploring it's fine. They will be getting nutrition from their milk anyway. I wouldn't drop a bottle if they are drinking all 4. They will reduce what they take from those bottles over time and then you will know whether it makes sense to leave one out. I hope this helps! I worry too but try to just have faith in my babies and offer them good and varied food!
CJWelch

Postby Raktajino » 27 Aug 2015, 07:22

Firstly don't stress! She hasn't lost weight, she just hasn't gained. And when they're small the differnce between a weight gain or not can be a big wee or poo right befire weigh-in! Or badly calibrated scales. Babies weight gain does slow down after 6 months-ish anyway and I'm sure because of this there is a recomendation not to weight them too often. Have a look in the red book, it gives you a guide to how often to get them weighed in there.
If she is happy and meeting milestones then just keep on as you are and don't worry about dropping milk and upping food at all. Sometimes I think HV just like to have something to say, regardless of the sense behind it!
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby VivaLaMama » 27 Aug 2015, 08:32

Thanks for the replies - that is very reassuring and I will keep persevering as we are, as my daughter seems to be doing very well exploring and is very enthusiastic. I am not sure the health visitors are experienced in BLW, as suggesting dropping a bottle contradicts the whole point of it! It is good to hear some more suggestions of foods to offer my daughter, though Ias you say I wouldn't expect her to be able to manage these just yet! Thanks again.
VivaLaMama

Postby ChristmasGift » 27 Aug 2015, 18:36

Agree definitely wouldn't cut down on milk just keep following her lead. Not sure where you are (UK or otherwise) but when my LO was very little she got on well with a large type of fusilli pasta. It's the same shape as normal fusilli but much bigger so much easier to hold. I found it in the 'Extra Special' range in ASDA. Avocado is another good one for protein - can be a bit slippy so maybe dunk it in a few bread crumbs.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby EnigmaFish » 27 Aug 2015, 21:58

I think the tendency amongst professionals is to see the chart and not the baby. They like to have things to measure and tick off. Remember the obsession with baby's poo colour and frequency in the first few days? Then after that, it's frequency or amount of milk. My HV always seems to have an obsession with solids right after six months: what have you introduced, how much has she eaten, etc. It's just another measurement!
Sorry, not sure if that's helpful or just me having a rant.

Helpful stuff: since both my girls were small, I tried to add in healthy fats whenever I could. For instance, I made porridge pancakes with cream instead of milk. Avocado is great for this as well. Avocado is just generally great. Tahini is also a great source of nutrients. I always add that in to porridge as well.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby lisbeth » 28 Aug 2015, 00:03

Three weeks seems quite a short time. I went back and checked my red books for A and R, and found that A didn't gain between about 8 and 9 months, and R actually went down a tiny bit. In the overall picture though - on the graph of their weights over 2 years, those points don't really stand out from the scatter. A had a step change up at 10 months, when she figured out that food filled her up when she was hungry, and R just caught up to his line. A dropped almost all her milk at about 11 months, R cut them down more gradually, but it was really sudden change when he made the realisation that he wanted food for hunger, not milk.

Sorry - that's a long-winded way of saying that one measurement might not turn out to mean much in the end. However, I weighed them myself, so I didn't have a HV to worry me, and as they seemed to be doing ok, and we're interested in tasting and trying food, as well having lots of milk, we just let them get on with it.

R didn't really swallow anything significant for ages, and gagged a lot, but I still think that him tasting and exploring was a good thing, even though he probably didn't get much nutrition from it until nearly a year. Early on we had some success with a corkscrew shaped pasta, toast fingers, strips of meat, like in a stir fry, or minced meat, and, once he could pick them up, beans - butter beans or kidney beans for example. He also liked fish - I guess it was soft but not gloopy, and he still loves porridge!

Good luck - it sounds like your little one is doing really well, and I hope her next weigh in is reassuring.
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Postby CJWelch » 28 Aug 2015, 05:47

Btw I just read some WHO guidelines that says between 6 and 9 months babies gain a kilo every 3 months (2.2 pounds) and 9-12 months a kilo every 4 months!!!! That's really very little (almost unnoticeable particularly when you think that makes the average monthly gain not much more than a big bottle of milk or a big poo!) I think what I am trying to say is that weight gain isn't such a brilliant indicator of health as they get older because it's so minimal. It should be more about whether your baby seems happy and healthy to you. I think these figures kind of put things into perspective. Anyway, what can you do? I spoon fed my big boy (who is now a strapping 7 year old) and when we had unhungry phases, I did the whole force feeding 1 spoon for mummy, 1 for grandma, here comes the airplane rubbish. Sat him in front of toys so that I could feed him without him noticing. I did not want that for the twins. It was horrible. So now, with BLW and having started it, thankfully I never could (and the babies wouldn't let me either). I do worry but I think the most important thing is to develop faith in our babies that they know what they are doing and what they need.
CJWelch

Postby VivaLaMama » 29 Aug 2015, 13:20

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your experience - it is very reassuring to hear and lots of useful points for me to take on board. My daughter is doing very well and I agree that sometimes the health professionals make recommendations without considering the individual baby. I did refer to the red book and saw that babies at this age shouldn't be weighed more frequently than every 2 months, I suppose for this very reason! A good lesson for us anyway to follow our daughter's lead :) Thanks again!
VivaLaMama

Postby somerandomchick » 02 Sep 2015, 19:48

If you're worried about weight gain, the answer is probably to ADD milk instead of decreasing it, anyways! At this age baby is still much better at digesting (actually absorbing all the fat & calories) out of milk anyways
somerandomchick

Return to New to BLW?