Soy milk...

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Soy milk...

Postby 2boys1mom » 03 May 2014, 13:15

hi all!!! I am fairly new to BLW... we have one 7 year old, Alexzander, and one 10 month old, Elliott... I was introduced to BLW by a friend after I saw a photo of her baby eating broccoli... I want Elliott to not be afraid to try anything and I want him to eat anything we give him... Elliott is currently breast-fed.

My question is, our pedi said we can start introducing 2% milk to Elliott at 12 months but my husband doesn't want to introduce him to cow's milk, he wants to introduce him to soy milk. Is there anyone else that did this, or has advice about introducing him to soy milk!?

thanks!!!
:D
Alex and Elliott's momma
2boys1mom

Re: Soy milk...

Postby junglewonderland » 03 May 2014, 14:46

Hi there, and welcome! is there any reason your dh wants to avoid cow's milk? History of allergies or anything?

Are you keen to give up bf at 12 months or earlier? If so, well done on making it this far. If not, keep breastfeeding and introducing other milk is less of an issue. If they like it, great, but if not, no need for it.

Koala is allergic to dairy so we would give him soy milk on his cereal, as an occasional drink etc. But we noticed lots of gut problems, and think he has a soy intolerance.

I would prefer to give K cow's milk over soy milk because nutritionally it is better (calcium) and it is more available and cheap. The thing that concerns me about soy milk is the processing, the other ingredients in it, and gm crops.

We make our own calcium enriched almond milk now instead.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby 2boys1mom » 03 May 2014, 19:24

We dont really drink cow's milk... he was a vegan for many years and just recently came to the dark side... so I think that might be why he doesnt want him drinking that. I am fine with him having it, it's not an issue for me; I gave Alexzander cow's milk when he was a baby. I plan on stopping boob at maybe 11 months to a year but I plan on giving him breastmilk still. Alex went for a year and a few months. I dont plan on rushing him to regular milk!
Alex and Elliott's momma
2boys1mom

Postby junglewonderland » 03 May 2014, 23:03

Fair enough if you don't drink cows milk. What do the rest of you have? Soy? I would probably just offer a range of healthy calcium rich foods and avoid introducing a special milk drink altogether once he is over one, if no-one else in your family has one.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby WishingBone » 04 May 2014, 09:15

Soy is one of the most allergenic foodstuffs IIRC (along with shellfish, nuts etc). DD1 is growing out of a lactose and fructose intolerance, but trying soy milk was a disaster - a rash and diarrhoea. I understand concerns about industrial dairy practices, but turning soy into 'milk' doesn't seem especially preferable. I'd be more inclined to focus on calcium from other sources after 12m, so incidental milk consumption is less of a burning issue.
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby 2boys1mom » 04 May 2014, 12:51

thank you so much for your input.... I can confidently tell my DH that we ARE doing cow's milk... thanks!!
Alex and Elliott's momma
2boys1mom

Postby Treeb » 04 May 2014, 13:38

I find it curious that you have been told to give 2% milk. I have always heard that babies should have whole milk until they are two or three years old, as the fat is important for brain development and general growth.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby 2boys1mom » 07 May 2014, 15:14

Treeb, I don't know! I believe I started my first on whole... But that's what MD said! 2% first.
Alex and Elliott's momma
2boys1mom

Postby Valley_Girl » 07 May 2014, 16:13

Isn't soy milk particularly a problem for boys?

I think a little soy milk in cereal is fine because it is like food, but to use it as a regular drink would be a problem IMO. Almost and rice milk is much healthier, but they don't have enough calories for a baby. I would do not do soy milk.
Valley_Girl

Postby Michaelcoleman » 25 Jan 2016, 11:22

Soy milk, also referred to as soymilk or soya milk, is a plant milk produced by soaking dried soybeans and grinding them in water.
Michaelcoleman

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Jan 2016, 17:53

You're like a Walking encyclopeadia aren't you Mr Coleman lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to New to BLW?