Vomiting/Pooing undigested foods

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Vomiting/Pooing undigested foods

Postby asnyder11 » 02 Sep 2012, 03:47

I'm having a problem with my girl... she started BLW about 2 weeks ago. And is LOVING food... she can't get her hands on it fast enough... Today I gave her a baby carrot to munch on. She was on my hip while eating it and i didn't pay much attention to how much she actually ate... She was throwing up all of her milk all day today, but no fever, she was acting her happy self all day. Then tonight she threw up again and a large piece of carrot came out! So two questions... when will her body start to digest the food i give her (I often find whole piece of food in her poo) and is giving her hard foods like carrots safe to feed her without steaming, or softening them first? I've kind of gone about this BLW thing with the mentality that I can give her pretty much any food, that is in any consistancy... but am I wrong?
Thank you!!
asnyder11

Re: Vomiting/Pooing undigested foods

Postby PicNic » 02 Sep 2012, 13:03

I think generally the advice is to give foods which can be squished onto the roof of your mouth with your tongue to start with because of the choking hazard while they get used to chewing etc. Undigested food in nappies can be quite normal at the beginning too and just means they're still at the playing stage and not getting calories from food yet. Just keep offering plenty of milk feeds and a variety of foods until things click. Good luck.
Very proud mummy of our adventurous little man 09/09 and our cheeky little lady 11/11
PicNic

Postby ches » 02 Sep 2012, 13:14

Definitely nothing hard or choke-shaped while they're so little and still learning to move through their mouth! Regards starting to digest, in my experience it took both my boys about 2 months. Hence, milk is the only source of their nutrition so don't give food in preference to milk. It's the same for puree, by the way, only puree tends to be light brown in colour and people don't notice it's undigested puree in poo as much.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Armadillo » 02 Sep 2012, 14:44

I agree there's no need to worry about food getting digested - that will take time, but it will come. However, I definitely would not give raw carrot, especially those baby carrots - they're basically shaped like perfect little throat-plugs. On the bright side, they're very quick to cook - a few minutes in a covered saucepan with a small amount of water steams them in no time.

Also, as I understand it, one of the main (and only) rules of BLW is to have the baby sitting upright (i.e., in a chair, or on your lap), so I would say feeding tidbits while carrying her on your hip is not such a good idea. They're supposed to be sitting up and having an official mealtime because: (1) that way when they gag, their position is such as to help the food get safely spit out, and (2) you'll be in a position to notice when something is not getting swallowed properly.
Armadillo

Postby asnyder11 » 03 Sep 2012, 00:37

Thank you guys for he responses! Very helpful! I feel bad that I've been trying to make her eat those foods!! :( She's loves em though! What do you think about breads? My mom is freaking out because she thinks that she will choke on the bread and if it gets lodged in her throat we wouldn't be able to get it out because it's so sticky... thoughts?
This whole process has been awesome, and I'm loving this resource!!!
asnyder11

Postby Armadillo » 03 Sep 2012, 11:52

My baby loves bread and he hasn't choked yet. He does stuff a scary amount in at once, though, I have to admit. What I did was toast it for the first few months, since he seems best able to handle crispy things that crumble away easily when he chomps down. (Early on, slices of rice cake were good for the same reason.) However, now that he's 9 months old, I give it to him straight up sometimes.

But I don't think you need to feel bad. She's still breathing, right? And it's not like you MADE her eat those things. It sounds like she's enjoying it. We all have our own rules of what we think is safe, but I suppose babies survived before there were discussion forums, too.
Armadillo

Return to New to BLW?