Salt/sodium

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Salt/sodium

Postby Antje » 10 Apr 2012, 03:14

Hello everyone!

So, at what point does it become less critical to limit baby's sodium intake? DD is going to be turning one soon, and she's eating loads of solids as well as still BFing a fair bit. She's healthy as a horse and big for her age too! I think we've been quite successful at limiting sodium so far, but it would be nice to be able to relax our standards a bit on that front.

Any advice?
Antje

Re: Salt/sodium

Postby Mini B's Mummy » 10 Apr 2012, 04:36

The recommended daily amount of salt doubles at age one from 1g a day to 2g a day until they're three, and then gradually increases - more info here (see halfway down the page for babies and children): http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/salt.aspx

Since Mini B turned one, I'm less strict about salt - he has more food with salt in it (meals out, more bread, cheese, bought hoummus, ham, etc), especially as he now seems to be reaching the 'living on air' stage some days, so he's not consuming the same volume as before, IYSWIM. I still don't add salt when cooking at home, but do use bought stock for cooking more than I did previously. He mostly eats fruit at the moment anyway!
DS Mini B born Dec 2010
DD Micro Beans born Dec 2012
Mini B's Mummy

Postby sully » 10 Apr 2012, 08:07

i just wanted to say good question (i was thinking the same, Pumpkin is 1 tomorrow)...and good answer too!
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby Chicken's Mummy » 13 Apr 2012, 02:06

Why is salt/ sodium not good for babies under one? And if it's not good for them, then why is bread, bagels, cheese etc ok to give them? My LO is 7months and she really enjoys her pancakes, (I make from scratch), tcheese and toast with a bit of butter, is it ok to be feeding her that? She gets her fruits and vegetables as well...
Chicken's Mummy

Postby CherryPop » 13 Apr 2012, 09:12

Chicken's Mummy wrote:Why is salt/ sodium not good for babies under one? And if it's not good for them, then why is bread, bagels, cheese etc ok to give them? My LO is 7months and she really enjoys her pancakes, (I make from scratch), tcheese and toast with a bit of butter, is it ok to be feeding her that? She gets her fruits and vegetables as well...

Their kidneys can't cope with too much salt. So the recommended amount is 1g a day, and bearing in mind that some breads/crumpets etc can have up to half a gram in each slice, it's worthwhile keeping an eye on it! Making bread from scratch (and leaving the salt out) is useful, otherwise just keep track. It's not necessary to strictly limit to 1g a day, but even it out over a few days or a week. So if they have a particularly salty day one day, give very little the next etc.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Chicken's Mummy » 13 Apr 2012, 12:18

Thanks CherryPie, I've realised I need to make a concious decision to eat healthier, so I'm hoping that this forum can help me make that change... I was watching a CBS interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta about sugar as a toxin and it made me realise that we really do eat too much processed foods and I have to break that habit now while the kids are still young...
Chicken's Mummy

Return to New to BLW?