'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Re: 'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Postby Aitch » 02 Mar 2012, 20:20

do people who think their babies need to eat a certain amount really do BLW, though? i can't see the attraction.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 02 Mar 2012, 20:39

Aitch wrote:do people who think their babies need to eat a certain amount really do BLW, though? i can't see the attraction.

has it simply become 'fashionable' to say one's doing baby-led weaning i wonder?
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby VanillaPickle » 02 Mar 2012, 20:43

S_N - I think you're absolutely right there.
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby Aitch » 02 Mar 2012, 20:49

probably, but again i can't see the bother, really. it's all about moving the window of something or other... <goes to look up windows thing that means you shift parameters of discussion>
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 02 Mar 2012, 20:59

Aitch wrote:probably, but again i can't see the bother, really.

nor me? but recently i've definitely sensed a change in peoples attitudes! when i weaned arch and said 'i do blw' i then had to explain it and was looked at like a total nut job! nowadays people say 'oh yes i do blw and a bit of spoonfeeding'.

i nod and smile.each to their own and all that.

obviously once anyone realises the ages of my children i'm considered a nut job all over again...... well that and in very grave need of more contraceptive advice. lmao.

sorry i'm utterly hopeless at sensible debates!
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby Aitch » 02 Mar 2012, 21:02

i do get the difference between 'BLW' with a big b, if you like, and 'blw', though. like conservative with a small c. and personally as a former hardcore blwer i do think people are best off doing it that way... but then i think every little thing i did was the best way, so i guess i have to allow everyone that feeling. ;)
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 02 Mar 2012, 21:16

i have always felt that as long as the mother is happy and relaxed, the baby will thrive. some mothers simply do not have the right attitude for BLW 'proper'. i have a friend in that camp. she is a control freak and needs to *know* what's going in etc. she is happier that way so her baby is happier. it works for them.

a little common sense is all that's required. if people want to mix, what does it matter? it's better than shovelling rice in from 4mths and it's little baby steps in the right direction. i would rather be positive about the efforts people are making that negative that it's not true blw?
Seriously_Nutty

Postby sparkling » 02 Mar 2012, 21:23

Super_Noodle wrote:
Aitch wrote:do people who think their babies need to eat a certain amount really do BLW, though? i can't see the attraction.

has it simply become 'fashionable' to say one's doing baby-led weaning i wonder?

I think so - I've definitely met people who say they're doing a bit of both, when they're actually just doing puree with some finger food, but say they're doing some BLW as it's fashionable... Whereas others say they're doing a bit of both but are essentially doing BLW but delivering certain foods with a spoon, mostly ones that we as adults would eat as a spoon.
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby Eleanor » 04 Mar 2012, 11:40

Would I be right in thinking you don't see as many of those revolting mesh feeder things around these days? They were quite common for a bit.
Eleanor

Postby Riotproof » 04 Mar 2012, 11:44

Eleanor wrote:Would I be right in thinking you don't see as many of those revolting mesh feeder things around these days? They were quite common for a bit.

No. At least not here. :o Apparently they are great for teething. :?
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Riotproof

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 04 Mar 2012, 11:48

Eleanor wrote:Would I be right in thinking you don't see as many of those revolting mesh feeder things around these days? They were quite common for a bit.

I saw a mum using one the other week in Crumpet's baby yoga class. Strangely the new set of mum's coming through to that class seem to be really keen on shovelling baby rice into their 4 month olds. I couldn't cope and decided (instead of saying anything) it was time to graduate Crumpet to mobile babies yoga where the mums are generally more crunchy (lots of baby wearing, extended BF, BLW, co-sleeping, etc).
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Aitch » 04 Mar 2012, 11:54

I HAD ONE OF THOSE! bought it online, pre-having heard of BLW. put it into the dishwasher to give it it's first clean and it melted. was GUTTED.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Aitch » 04 Mar 2012, 11:55

i think there has been, btw, a bit of vindication for the 'early' weaners because of that Mary whatsername woman and the BMJ. thing is, 4-6 months - no damage done, so whatever... but it does look like a faff to me.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Riotproof » 04 Mar 2012, 12:08

Aitch wrote:i think there has been, btw, a bit of vindication for the 'early' weaners because of that Mary whatsername woman and the BMJ. thing is, 4-6 months - no damage done, so whatever... but it does look like a faff to me.

I will ask DS's allergist what he thinks prior to "weaning" our next child. But yes, if he tells me he thinks the chances of allergies will be reduced if I do purees earlier, I will. I don't think that's what he'll say, but if he does, I trust him. My plan in that case would be to somehow wean from purees to hand foods at 6 months or wheever readiness is shown. :?
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Riotproof

Postby Aitch » 04 Mar 2012, 12:36

oh i think all bets are off if doing things in a particular fashion will reduce chances of allergy in a child who already comes from an allergic family, or reduce pain from reflux etc. which goes back, i guess, to never wanting to be dogmatic. there is no one way, any more than there is one generic child.
Aitch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New to BLW?