'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Re: 'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Postby chelseatash » 05 Mar 2014, 17:48

I feel I have had to resort to this. My baby was doing blw and I thought he was doing great. He was eating all sorts by himself, breastfed in between, very active and playful and achieving his milestones early. However, he lost a lot of weight and I was made to feel like was doing everything wrong and not looking after him properly.
As a result I had to stop his blw dinner and fruit pudding, and spoon feed him it instead.
I feel I have had to take a massive step back to keep with his stupid generic charts and bits of paper
chelseatash

Postby GHJingle » 05 Mar 2014, 18:10

What are you spoonfeeding him? could you offer loaded spoons instead?
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Postby chelseatash » 05 Mar 2014, 18:19

I spoon feed him our meals - like bolognese, mashed potatoes or puree lumpier foods
chelseatash

Postby chelseatash » 05 Mar 2014, 18:22

I offered him spoonfuls/finger foods/he ate by himself before. Now I have been told to buy him jars of stuff
chelseatash

Postby Nix » 05 Mar 2014, 18:40

So healthy and thriving and active and they wanted you to stop/change what you were doing? Sounds daft to me. I would put the weight loss down to being more active and keep doing blw and bfing. Purée veg etc doesn't contain more calories than breast milk anyway!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby StJuniper » 05 Mar 2014, 18:44

Who is telling you to spoon feed him? Would the same purposes be achieved by giving him high-fat yogurt, avocado, buttered toast, veg roasted in oil, etc? Purée is not very nutritionally dense and certainly isn't high fat! Is your son losing weight or just percentile points? It seems strange to me that a happy, milestone-achieving, breastfeeding child would need purées to be healthy.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 05 Mar 2014, 19:27

I'm also curious how old your son is? It is totally normal for weight gain to slow way down from 6-12 months, and yes, some babies may even loose a bit of weight when they become mobile. If he has started crawling/walking/whatever early that means he may start to thin out sooner than some other babies as well.

As long as he is healthy, happy, and reaching his milestones I think I would disregard what you were told by whatever health professional and continue as you had been with the breastfeeding and BLW. The growth charts are only there to show averages and trends, they are not a set-in-stone guideline that your baby needs to follow. Every baby is different and will have their own pace of growth. It's also best to look at growth over a long period of time, rather than just the number at one weigh-in, since it can vary significantly and he will have growth spurts, periods where he stays stable, etc.

You seem to want to continue with the BLW, and I think you should trust your Mommy-instinct on that!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 06 Mar 2014, 08:54

Sounds like you, and he, were doing great before as you said he was eating fine. Babies go through phases of eating loads and then not eating much at all. I know it's hard but I'd try not to worry and keep doing what you want to do. If he is otherwise healthy and active then it all sounds good to me.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby chelseatash » 07 Mar 2014, 13:51

He's 7 and a half months. I put it down to him being so active (crawling/standing/bouncing etc) and achieving all his milestones early. I was so proud of him and his progress, but when I took hin to the clinic to get weighed, and found out he had lost a lot of weight, they made me feel awful for having a healthy happy fast developed breastfed baby who was doing blw and said to spoon feed him purees/or buy him jars of baby foods and give him finger foods as snacks
chelseatash

Postby chelseatash » 07 Mar 2014, 13:56

I don't really know what to do now. They made me feel like I should sack off the breastfeeding and blw and just force feed him jars of baby food etc to ensure he was eating so many meals and all the right things
chelseatash

Postby fourweewonders » 07 Mar 2014, 14:07

chelseatash wrote:I don't really know what to do now. They made me feel like I should sack off the breastfeeding and blw and just force feed him jars of baby food etc to ensure he was eating so many meals and all the right things

Waterey veg and rice power is not going to help your baby or any baby gain weight snd that what jar food is if you read the label

If your baby wasnt getting enough they would soon let you know about it....loudly
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby issi » 07 Mar 2014, 14:08

Is there any other HV or breastfeeding support group you could go to for a 2nd opinion? It's so sad that this one weigh in has destroyed your confidence in everything you were doing {{{chelseatash}}}
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby chelseatash » 07 Mar 2014, 14:20

If they had said something like "he's lost a bit of weight, probably down to his quick development and new found mobility skills, but keep up with what you're doing and maybe try incorporating xyz to his meals/let him blw, keep blw but help guide his spoon/fork to his mouth and feed him the odd mouthful what's left or spoon feed his main meal" then I might have found it easier to take

But it was more like "omg. I can't believe he's lost weight. Are you actually feeding him? Tell me your routine. I'm going to send someone round to your house. Terrible mummy. Shame on you. You're not breastfeeding him right. Your a terrible evil person" - ok, a little exaggeration, but it is how they made me feel
The person even wrote in his notes "mum claims baby is feeding"
chelseatash

Postby sabrina fair » 07 Mar 2014, 14:24

chelseatash wrote:I don't really know what to do now. They made me feel like I should sack off the breastfeeding and blw and just force feed him jars of baby food etc to ensure he was eating so many meals and all the right things

What do YOU want to do? As a parent I believe that my job is to do my research, listen to what health professionals tell me, and then do what I feel is best for my child. Professionals often know what they're talking about, and sometimes don't. Sometimes they know about illness, but not wellness, if you see what I mean - they look for problems where they don't exist, or they're simply blinkered by what was taught to them right at the beginning of their training.

Basically, you're the one responsible for your child, not them. If you feel more comfortable offering some mushy food on a spoon for a while then go ahead. If you feel more comfortable continuing with blw and reassessing after a month or so, then do that. It honestly sounds like your baby's doing just fine, and will continue to be fine whatever you do (since you're obviously a loving parent who will seek help if you see a serious problem). Also, there's no reason why you can't choose one route and then reassess next time he's weighed - raising children is never black and white. Good luck!

X-posted. I recommend getting a second opinion, either from a hv or a gp.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby issi » 07 Mar 2014, 14:27

chelseatash wrote:The person even wrote in his notes "mum claims baby is feeding"

Oh FFS! That's so rude and unnecessary. I think they deserve a complaint.

Is there a baby cafe near you? Their website seems to be broken at the moment unfortunately. But they provide breastfeeding support and are generally staffed by lovely people who won't make you feel crap. I'm not saying you need to get your baby weighed again, but it seems like you could do with hearing from a proper real life person that you're doing just fine.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

PreviousNext

Return to New to BLW?