'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Re: 'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Postby Riotproof » 06 May 2013, 14:14

Ameliasmummy, if you need help there are lots of allergy mums here. I can help with df, and there s generally an easy soy free version too. Please ask.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Ameliasmummy » 06 May 2013, 17:33

Thank you Riotproof! I've posted a few times on the allergy threads. DF isn't too bad although df and sf together are hard. Luckily my cheeky monkey LOVES food and will eat anything and everything!
Ameliasmummy

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2013, 05:55

I've never had much to add here but now my puppy is a real eating boy I have mental space to look at the last five months and consider. We always wanted to blw but Mr.C persuaded me to also offer pouches when the puppy was six months or so and not eating. Luckily that only lasted about a week before I decided to put my foot down and refuse.

Watching friends who claim to be 'doing a bit of both' now really winds me up. They think because they're giving the kid real food it's blw even if they've torn said food in to teeny tiny pieces and then practically forced it in the kids ' mouth and then decided its a choking hazard and forcibly removed it again.

So although I didn't want to be dogmatic and do still offer the puppy loaded spoons (now he actively asks me to.fill forks or spoons for.him when we have something complicated like couscous) , I think I have become so. But it's not my fault, it's other people doing it wrong, right??
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby angiecapps221 » 12 Sep 2013, 21:43

Is it safe?

If in BLW they learn to chew before they learn to swallow, and if in spoon-feed they learn to swallow before they learn to chew.... then, if a person decides to do a combination of the two, do we have a safety issue?

(In other words, if baby learns to swallow through spoon-feeding, and then in a non-spoon fed meal sticks something larger in her mouth??)

I would like to do a mix of the two, but analyzing the theory of the process of learning makes me nervous!
angiecapps221

Postby raw-pink » 30 Oct 2013, 20:59

angiecapps221 wrote:Is it safe?

If in BLW they learn to chew before they learn to swallow, and if in spoon-feed they learn to swallow before they learn to chew.... then, if a person decides to do a combination of the two, do we have a safety issue?

I don't think it's a safety issue at all, they just learn all the skills at the same time! I didn't think you could every do a mix but I think it depends how you do it. If by a mix you mean puree at every meal with finger food on the side, then not so much because what reason have they to take an interest in the finger food? They are still relying on you to feed, control quantity etc. However I know people who sucessfully do a mix by offering one meal blw, one meal puree. Or offering both by giving the finger food first, letting them play and offering something after. Or giving easier foods as finger foods and pureeing things which are tougher to make sure they get the nutrients.

I know I might get slammed on here for mentioning 'getting nutrients' but I do think it's important. I think the food is fun before one is sometimes taken in the extreme, I don't think it means food doesn't matter before one and at one they can start eating. They do need to eat something, just the quantity is not important!
Mummy to little bear, a famous gymnast in the making.
raw-pink

Postby Nix » 31 Oct 2013, 06:35

angiecapps221 wrote:Is it safe?

(In other words, if baby learns to swallow through spoon-feeding, and then in a non-spoon fed meal sticks something larger in her mouth??)

I would like to do a mix of the two, but analyzing the theory of the process of learning makes me nervous!

Yes I think it would be safe. Traditional weaning encourages baby to have puréed food spoonfed from six months alongside finger foods. They all are ready at different times though so baby led weaning allows babies to get it at their own pace. And yes that might mean some babies aren't ready until nearer the 12 month mark, they're not lacking in any nutrients because breast or formula milk is nourishing them. Choose finger foods that aren't too much of a choking hazard if you are worried: if they can be squished on the roof of your mouth with just your tongue then that's perfect.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby catkin » 31 Oct 2013, 09:07

Didn't think anyone was saying it was unsafe (but also no more safe which is a lot of people's argument against BLW). I thought the point was that purees plus finger foods is traditional weaning not really "the BLW Thing". Which is not to say that purees plus finger foods can't be done in a baby led way, it's just not a Thing, or a different Thing.
And not to say you're not very welcome here, we might just not be so good at answering your questions!
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby raw-pink » 17 Nov 2013, 09:08

Gill Rapley said that it's never too late to start blw and you can do it even if you started another way. However, given that blw babies need milk for longer, if you switch you would have to start offering milk again. How would this work from a supply and demand point of view? Would you not end up having to do a mix anyway?
Mummy to little bear, a famous gymnast in the making.
raw-pink

Postby Trisha_8 » 21 Nov 2013, 05:22

Thanks for being me a part of your wonderful and informative website.
Trisha_8

Postby saffm » 22 Nov 2013, 23:02

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site.
My LO is 7 months old. I heard about BLW from my HV, she was all for it, and she got me all excited about it as well, but NO ONE I knew was doing it. From when my baby was 3 months old my mum was pushing for me to give her jars of food, she even went and bought some and then was disappointed when I didn't use them. I really struggled with resisting weaning LO till she was 6 months old and I'm so glad I did because I can see now that at 6 months she's actually ready to eat and properly interested in food.
I started off with really good intentions and was giving her finger foods, same as what I was eating and just letting her get on with it, she was good with bread and pasta, she tried fruits too but she didn't seem to be eating much of them.
But last week I started giving her baby rice and baby porridge from a spoon so I've slipped off the bandwagon. Today I blended some pear into a puree and fed her that. I didn't force her, she was guiding the spoon into her mouth, and she was leaning forward and opening her mouth to show me she wanted more.
I was just worried that she might not be eating enough of a variety of food and I'm especially worried that she might not get enough iron if I do BLW, because my HV really banged on about how babies can become anaemic by 9 months. Basically, I'm sooooo confused about what's right for my baby! All I do is trawl websites trying to get information about what I should be doing. First I was worrying that she wasn't eating enough and now I'm worried that I'm giving her too much solids!
Does anyone else find weaning this confusing?
saffm

Postby StJuniper » 23 Nov 2013, 01:38

It can be very confusing all the contradictions and mis-information floating about. Your instinct of BLW being the right choice for you LO may have been clouded by popular opinion and conflicting information, but there are a lot of healthy, non-anemic babies here who speak volumes about how well BLW works.

As long as you're offering a good variety of foods, one of the principles of BLW is that your child is the best person to judge what types of food she needs. Her body offers her cues of what food groups to focus on and her cues haven't been clouded by junk foods. I've seen my son eat fruits and veg while fighting an illness (extra vitamins) or lots of carbs to fuel a growth spurt, and many others can say the same: babies are good at eating what they need. Bear in mind also that her milk (breast or formula) will give her most of the nutrients she needs so a balanced diet for her looks a lot different than for an adult. You can always give a multivitamin if you're worried.

They are also great at eating til they're full and stopping when they are, it really doesn't have to be your problem trying to judge what's a good amount! Trust your baby and your good instincts for your daughter's readiness and try not to get too bogged down in the avalanche of information!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Nov 2013, 13:20

And dont worry about spoon feeding your baby. It sounds like it is still baby led from what you've said. There is no rule that says BLW babies must not have purées or spoons. The emphasis is on them telling you what they want, whether from a spoon or by picking it up themselves.

It is veryc infusing, but it sounds like you and your lo are doing fabulously.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby saffm » 25 Nov 2013, 12:18

Feeling a lot more reassured by your replies.
Yesterday LO finished off a whole bowl (well baby sized bowl) of pasta with me just watching and trying to keep my sofa as clean as possible.
Took her to a restaurant yesterday where she joined in with bread and salad which was not to her taste!
Going to make her some butternut squash today and see how she gets on with that. Think I'll try finger sized first and if she doesn't like that, see if she prefers it puree style! :)
saffm

Postby salski » 28 Dec 2013, 10:54

Hello all. Can both be Time? Hmm...my peach Elsie is coming up to 3. We exclusively blw her. Porridge and yoghurts were offered on her high chair tray with a spoon and we never spoon fed. I was a staunch blw fanatic....however son is 21 weeks and were doing the purees route atm. Peach was weaned at 6 months and thrived....plum is hungry, really hungry...always has been. Reaches for my food, watches, licks his lips, blah blah blah. I'm bitterly dissapointed his first meal wasn't a chop like peaches was (lol) but he seems to be thriving. I really do plan to do both this time...maybe I'm kidding myself. I'd love for him to go straight onto solids now, but I feel he's just that bit too young.
You think your 1stbis hard...I've found having plum.much harder! Ha!!
salski

Postby StJuniper » 28 Dec 2013, 12:34

I said it on your other thread, but if he's really, truly hungry (and watching your food doesn't mean he is, they have no way of knowing solid food would fill their tummies), purée is not the solution. It is largely composed of water, not nearly as nutritious and definitely not as fatty as milk, and at his age probably passes through his system largely undigested anyways. Basically if is "filler" that takes up space in his stomach that otherwise could go to his milk. If you can hold out a few weeks longer with frequent bf, you could start BLW as normal...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

PreviousNext

Return to New to BLW?