'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Re: 'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Postby scotrail » 01 Mar 2013, 11:35

I'm not, I just studied over there and left a bit of my soul behind (in exchange for a lot of whiskey, some white pudding and oats probably) :o) There are a lot of Scottish people over here, many from Aberdeen. I miss Scotland, I guess I should come visit!
scotrail

Postby oriel » 09 Mar 2013, 10:20

scotrail wrote:I'm not, I just studied over there and left a bit of my soul behind (in exchange for a lot of whiskey, some white pudding and oats probably) :o) There are a lot of Scottish people over here, many from Aberdeen. I miss Scotland, I guess I should come visit!

If your whiskey had an e in it, you weren't in Scotland. ;)
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby scotrail » 11 Mar 2013, 18:36

Heh, I'm environmentally damaged, I learned my English from a bunch of Americans prior to being introduced to the Scots..
scotrail

Postby Zed » 10 Apr 2013, 20:20

I was going to but then my little star turned 6 months and point blank refused to open up for a spoon. She wanted everything I was eating and would suck away before throwing it on the floor, but take it off a spoon? You must be joking...!

TBH I had expected this might be the case as she has always been a "run before she can walk" kind of girl, but I thought life would be easier if she would eat off a spoon AND feed herself.

So, having spent a week stressing every time we tried (yes, I know this is not long... yes, I am a stress head) I decided to load up that spoon and hand it over. Yoghurt everywhere. I was convinced that she was just using the spoon as a teether as she chewed away and the side-effect just happened to be that (some of!) the yoghurt was being swallowed.

She has always loved waving spoons around and putting them in her mouth even with nothing on them so I thought the eating was an unintended bonus but I then loaded up the spoon and offered it to her one more time and she just turned away; did not even take it to wave around. It dawned on me that she had not just been using the spoon as a teether, she was feeding herself! Inexpertly and messily, but feeding herself nevertheless and now she was full she did not want the spoon anymore. Amazing! I practically burst with pride and positively skipped around cleaning up the mess!

Maybe this BLW is for us :-D
Zed

Postby Aitch » 12 Apr 2013, 21:56

lovely...
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Apr 2013, 07:18

I've given in, lol, I was doing baby led and spoon feeding so she'd sleep better but we seem to have hit a blip with the sleeping anyway and I'm up at least once a night again so I figure I may as well blw at all meals. She was having purée or mashed banana for dinner so I knew she was eating something and therefore slept better.

Also, I am wondering if I'm confusing her and if this is why she's having problems actually swallowing food. She seems to mush it up ok but, as you may have seen from another post, she then seems to get it stuck. Hopefully on blw alone she will learn to move it to the back of her mouth and swallow it more quickly so I can stop worrying about taking her out of her high chair with food still n her mouth. She gets bored when left in after she's stopped eating.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby scotrail » 19 Apr 2013, 08:29

I'd be interested in a poll (not on this forum, which would lead to an obvious bias!) about this topic: BLW weaning intentions (pure / mixed) and outcome (BLW/mixed/puree only)...
scotrail

Postby Laura Tyewa » 19 Apr 2013, 12:06

It took L until he was about ten months to really 'get' swallowing. As long as you are allowing her milk when she wants it I wouldn't worry. As you've already said it's more about learning to get a spoon in her mouth and how to move food around in her mouth more than actual eating anyway. :)

Sleep regressions and teeth can cause all sorts of problems when it comes to sleep. Every two or three months babies may go through one (we missed the six month one, but the four month was really awful for us!).
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Apr 2013, 06:52

Ha, so much for feeding purées so she'd sleep better. Ok, so it used to be true, but sat night after chicken Kiev, mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli, G slept from 6.30 - 11pm (dream feed, and she barely woke then) and then from dream feed til 6.45am, yey. First night for about a week I've not been up before 6am to feed her. You know, you guys must actually know what you're talking about lol. Sorry it took me so long to pluck up the courage to throw myself in properly.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Aitch » 21 Apr 2013, 11:38

those bloomin' babies... it's almost like they haven't read the books... ;D
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Ameliasmummy » 02 May 2013, 22:16

Hi i'm pretty new to this site and just read this topic and it really interests me. My daughter is almost 9 months and was ebf until 7 months, but from 4 mnths we started to notice she has severe food allergies. She reacted to all formulas we tried and the first 4 foods we tried her on- porridge/ pasta/ peppers and tomatoes. We were delayed starting her on any solids until we'd seen a paediatrician and dietician and so she didn't start any food until nearly 7 months. We were told we HAD to give her purees of meat veg and potato twice a day as she was losing a lot of weight/ refusing to bf and refusing to drink her nasty prescription formula. I was heartbroken as only wanted to blw. Plus we could only introduce one new food every four days. (No selection of foods on the table for us)

Soooo I made a decision that no matter the mess/ hassle she would feed herself EVERYTHING. I gave her the spoon/ bowl/ plate and off she went... She fed herself porridge and puree as well as always have veg/ meat/ fruit sticks on the side with every meal. We've tried as many different combinations as we can. We sat there for hours whilst she enjoyed food/ played with it/ threw it and even ate a bit. I never made her finish her plate/ coaxed her to eat anything and I'm so glad I didn't. We now eat one new food every day.

It's only been two months but my daughter is now back to a satisfactory (if not small) weight. She loves food, and meal times are her favourite part of the day. She no longer needs puree because she happily polishes off a chicken leg with potatoes and veg and anything else she can get her hands on. She uses a spoon really well and is already starting to master using a fork for slippery foods. She holds her own bottle (she now drinks the nasty prescription formula) and drinks by herself from a cup and despite the late weaning start (2-3 mnths behind her peers) and mixed approach she is a very advanced eater for her age. Sorry for the small brag but we've come a long way and there have been lots of tears (mine!)

Soooo... I did a mix of BLW and puree because I had to, and now my 9 month is entirely BLW. I'm really proud of her :)
Ameliasmummy

Postby BigFlower » 03 May 2013, 05:17

That's really lovely Ameliasmummy, so glad she is doing well. :D
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Aitch » 03 May 2013, 08:16

oh what a clever girl, that's fantastic, what a success! i so hope that she starts to grow out of the allergies, is that likely?
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Ameliasmummy » 04 May 2013, 17:46

Thanks for your replies :) I'm hoping she'll grow out of her allergies eventually, but because they are quite severe (within seconds of eating or sometimes even smelling foods) the Dietician warns of a long road ahead... but fx maybe one day! We've just become a dairy free house and i'm working on becoming a soy free one as well :) At least there are no temptations to buy shop prepared foods- it's all homemade for us :)
Ameliasmummy

Postby Aitch » 06 May 2013, 01:16

good luck!
Aitch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New to BLW?