'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Re: 'I will be doing a mix of BLW and puree'. Discuss.

Postby Aitch » 06 Mar 2012, 21:19

oh yes it WAS about the water, wasn't it? so does that have no bearing on puree at all then?
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby scotrail » 06 Mar 2012, 21:57

I have seen some theoretical papers from nutritionists saying that liquid(er) foods sort of bypass the fullness reflex and sneak nutrients into the body, thereby encouraging overeating. Still, I have yet to find a peer-reviewed paper actually comparing intake of the same meal in puree and solid form. It appears however that heating food changes its ratio of soluble to insoluble fibre, reducing the latter and making it more easily digestible. So basically serving a well-cooked carrot reduces its insoluble fibre content, mashed or not. But not sure about this. PhD in the making for some interested BLWer!
scotrail

Postby Jelly Belly » 07 Mar 2012, 11:23

Aitch wrote:oh yes it WAS about the water, wasn't it? so does that have no bearing on puree at all then?

For the smooth purees you need to add water to your cooked veg to get it to actually blend. I only know this from watching a friend do it!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Aitch » 07 Mar 2012, 14:16

oh well that is interesting... so they are taking in the same amount of carrot but it's making them fuller cos of the water? OR they are taking in the same amount of carrot and it's making them feel fuller cos of water BUT it's making it more digestible? the two things seem to run counter?
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby scotrail » 07 Mar 2012, 17:51

I guess that depends on whether soluble fibre passes through the stomach more quickly than insoluble fibre? We need a nutritionist!
scotrail

Postby Jelly Belly » 07 Mar 2012, 20:37

Aitch wrote:oh well that is interesting... so they are taking in the same amount of carrot but it's making them fuller cos of the water? OR they are taking in the same amount of carrot and it's making them feel fuller cos of water BUT it's making it more digestible? the two things seem to run counter?

May I refer you back to Jem's smoothie observation that you can consume more in liquid form so they may well be eating more carrot than they would if picking it up and gnawing on it but they then stay fuller for longer (due to the combined water thingamy) leaving less room for milk...

Do you just love how scientific I am?
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby scotrail » 07 Mar 2012, 20:56

Can I just add in here that when I make mash (partner and daughter love mashed potatoes, carrots and swede equally, so who am I to argue), I usually don't add liquid, so she can eat it with her hands (that must be maximum laziness, not wanting to be bothered with loaded spoons.. ahem). I just add a bit of butter. I never thought of that as breaching the BLW, but hey, maybe it is? However, I think it goes to show that mashed foods don't have to be wet, to further complicate things.
scotrail

Postby Aitch » 07 Mar 2012, 20:59

hahahaha at 'i just add butter'.

me too. dh adds milk and it makes me want to hurl. just FATS, please, darling.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby scotrail » 07 Mar 2012, 21:06

You probably noticed I didn't specify the size of the "bit", yes..
scotrail

Postby Aitch » 07 Mar 2012, 21:11

now i am hungry
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Jelly Belly » 07 Mar 2012, 21:49

scotrail wrote:However, I think it goes to show that mashed foods don't have to be wet, to further complicate things.

Mashed is the stage after puree. Then you do lumpy mash. Then - who the hell knows? I stopped even pretending to listen!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Aitch » 07 Mar 2012, 22:58

yup. still hungry.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby scotrail » 08 Mar 2012, 11:56

What's the difference between smooth mash and a puree? When does puree become smooth mash? I think we need a philosopher. Here in Norway I think even the puree people generally mash up a bit of their own dinner to a smooth concistency with a fork and feed it. I didn't realise there was a stage before that! Pre-masticating with saliva? (Although I have been known to lick every single frency fry before handing it to baby when out and they were salted.. nice, eh)
scotrail

Postby Jem » 08 Mar 2012, 13:33

scotrail wrote:Can I just add in here that when I make mash (partner and daughter love mashed potatoes, carrots and swede equally, so who am I to argue), I usually don't add liquid, so she can eat it with her hands (that must be maximum laziness, not wanting to be bothered with loaded spoons.. ahem). I just add a bit of butter. I never thought of that as breaching the BLW, but hey, maybe it is? However, I think it goes to show that mashed foods don't have to be wet, to further complicate things.

Unless you're spooning it in mouths, I don't think mash "breaches" anything. Mashed potato is a legitimate food choice. Pureed chicken pie with veg is not. :wink:

I add a splosh of milk to mashed tatties :scream
Resident geek. Mum to Isabel; Nov '09, & Oliver; May '12.
Jem

Postby Tintin » 08 Mar 2012, 15:14

I add milk and butter to my mashed potatoes! :oops:
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

PreviousNext

Return to New to BLW?