Getting fussier

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Getting fussier

Postby Rose99 » 24 Oct 2011, 13:50

Hi

My 10 mth old used to try everything I put in front of her. Maybe not a lot, but it at least got tried. But the list of things she will eat is getting smaller!! Used to eat tuna, eggs, a bit of meat, some vegetables. Now she will only eat bread/toast (with cream cheese), pasta (plain or maybe with a tiny bit of pesto!), cheese (just bits of cheese as finger food), a bit of yogurt, some breakfast cereals and all fruit. I know that's fair amount, but she pretty much won't eat anything I cook. In the past week or so I've tried a tuna and cheese pasta bake, a roast dinner, vegetable risotto, cheese and spinach tart. She will probably put it to her mouth and then make a yuck face (which is very funny!)

Any ideas? Someone tell me it'll get better! I thought the fussiness didn't come until a bit later. I just want her to eat things I cook - not necessarily a lot, but some :)
Mum to DD born Dec 10 and DS born Feb 13.
Rose99

Re: Getting fussier

Postby RainbowBright » 24 Oct 2011, 15:30

Sounds normal to me. My LO is only 7 months so we're not there yet, but I'm sure 9 months is the time when they become scared of all new things, food or otherwise. I guess the joy of BLW is that you just go with the flow and let her make her own choices, therefore avoiding negative behaviour patterns developing. Still, I bet it's blummin annoying when she turns down your lovely home cooking, sounds yummy to me! I always think back to a boy I knew at school who ate absoloutely nothing but cream crackers for five or so years, it didn't do him any harm :-)
Mummy to S, born March'11
RainbowBright

Postby BigFlower » 25 Oct 2011, 08:24

My (lovely) HV said in her experience lots and lots of babies this age (10 to 12 months) get super fussy. Her theory was that it's nature's way of preventing babies that are suddenly a bit more mobile and possibly starting to walk and move further away from their mother from picking up any old bit of stuff and sticking it in their mouths, also she said that she had read something suggesting that taste buds are not properly developed until they are about this age so stuff they would previously have eaten may suddenly start to seem rather strong tasting for them. Also by this age they have had a few months of playing with their new "toys" of food so a bit bored of that but still don't *really* need the extra nutrition from food so get super picky.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Aitch » 25 Oct 2011, 08:53

oooh, that is interesting about the taste buds. i've deffo heard the 'wandering out of the cave and eating berries' thing before, but if you think about it, both theories match up. you don't so much need taste buds, do you, until you need to make decisions about what seems poisonous or not.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby BigFlower » 25 Oct 2011, 10:01

It's cool isn't it, I love stuff like that. This HV is very into anthropology and has lots of little gems along these lines. She recommended me this brilliant book actually - Our Babies Ourselves which is all about different parenting from around the world and how things that we think are baby universals are only really expected in our particular culture. I loved it, very reassuring!!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Ruckus » 25 Oct 2011, 14:00

I found T got a lot fussier around that age. But he has always picked any random piece of whatever up off the floor and stuck it in his mouth, chewed with relish, and swallowed. Yesterday at a birthday party he was eating the bits of paper that come out of party poppers along with the card that holds it all in. I've often thought that if I cooked his supper and strewed it across the floor he'd eat the lot, rather than fingering it with a dubious look on his face and chucking it over his shoulder. In anthropological, evolutionary, survival of the fittest terms, he's right down at the bottom of the ladder. *sighs*
Ruckus

Postby Rose99 » 25 Oct 2011, 16:39

Thanks everyone. Same, she will pick up random bits of food from the floor and eat ;) Ah well, she's a chubby little thing, fingers crossed it'll get better.
Rose99

Postby crunchy » 30 Oct 2011, 21:48

hello, can I jump in here too?? My 10 month old is doing exactly the same and its been driving me mad this week. Just this week she has become a real fuusy mare and some of the foods she used to love, like pasta, she just picks up and then slings it on the floor. I've been wracking my brains to try and come up with new and exciting foods for her, even made a roast aubergine and sweet potato bake tonight, which she had a few mouthfuls of (although it took ages) and the rest went on the floor. She loves cheese, sandwiches, most fruit, chicken strips, fish fingers and yoghurt/fromage frais. But She can't just live off this forever I know. I am so glad I found this site as the recipe's have inspired me. I am hoping its just a stage our LO's go through as they are becoming more independent.
crunchy

Postby crunchy » 30 Oct 2011, 21:51

BigFlower - is that true what they say about not **really ** needing the nutrition from food yet? Is that because they are still getting most of the nutrients and calories from their milk?
crunchy

Postby Rose99 » 31 Oct 2011, 08:50

Hi Crunchy, we had a bit of a break through at the weekend. We did a roast and veggy risotto and some of it was eaten....not loads but at least not straight on the floor. I'm just giving her some of the same things she turned her nose up at in thinking that she'll get used to it and it seems to be working!
And yes, they do still get most of their calories and nutrition from milk at this age so I don't worry too much about the amount she eats, rather the variety. As one year gets closer I worry she won't be getting what she needs as she is cutting back on milk.
How frustrating when they won't eat our lovely home cooked food!!
Rose99

Postby BigFlower » 31 Oct 2011, 09:02

DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby crunchy » 31 Oct 2011, 09:05

Hi Rose,
Thats fantastic news! Sounds like a lovely dinner to me. I have never made rissotto, is that one of your recipe's or off this site? I have decided that I am going to make Bat's sweetcorn patties which is on the recipe page, and see how she gets on with these. I quite like the idea of the beef and beer stew too, and if she doesn't eat it then me and my hubby will! There are loads of good recipe idea's on this site. I really hope she isn't going to be a fussy eater as she has been having all sorts of foods with no problems since she was 17 weeks old. My sister's little boy who is now 7, used to only want to eat bread and cheese, and even now he is really fussy with his food and doesn't touch vegetables. I have always really loved having a variety of foods to eat and do eat really healthily so I will find it really hard if she doesn't want to! I keep telling myself, its just a phase, it will pass! :wink:

Thanks Bigflower.
crunchy

Postby Rose99 » 31 Oct 2011, 13:05

Agreed. I love all sorts of food and love cooking so don't want a fussy little bubba. I guess we have to try not to give in when they're going through a phase. I'll always let LO have fruit though if she's not interested in the first course.
The risotto is just my own creation. Normally fry up some onions and peppers, through the rice (arborrio) in then ypu have to add the stock gradually and continue to stir until rice is cooked. And then throw in any other bits and pieces (sometimes peas, cherry tomatoes). And sometimes I add some cheese at the end just to get some more nutrition and flavour in there. I think the BLW cook book has a risotto recipe?
Good luck x
Rose99

Postby crunchy » 31 Oct 2011, 13:45

Thanks Rose, I'll give that a whirl and see what happens! Good luck to you also x
crunchy

Return to New to BLW?