Dropping food & not yet consuming

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Dropping food & not yet consuming

Postby Foodforfun » 29 May 2017, 11:44

Hello,

My 7 month old who has started BLW, a few weeks ago, throws food on the floor a lot! I know this is about learning gravity but it seems like this is her main focus (not even bringing the food to her mouth a lot of the time). How many times do I pick up the food before I end the session if she is otherwise not experimenting/playing at all. It just feels pointless picking up the food over & over & over if she is not doing anything else with it. Also it's been nearly a month of playing (no consuming), at what point should I be concerned? It's just that she is quite small & petite.

Many thanks.
Foodforfun

Re: Dropping food & not yet consuming

Postby Tintin » 11 Jun 2017, 16:25

Hi

That sounds really normal at this age. :)
How long you let the session go on for depends on how long you have available! Babies have no real understanding that food will stop them feeling hungry, so to them it's all just a game - textures, smells, gravity etc. When they get frustrated being in a high chair or bored/annoyed with what's going on, then it's time to pack everything away. If they're happy enough, then it's fine to let the "meal" last as long as it takes! Whether or not you have hours to sit there with them, is a different matter. You can end things whenever suits you if you have places you need to be!

As for not consuming everything - they're all different. I'm on my 3rd BLWed child and he hardly eats anything, even now at 16 months! It's been unusual for us because my first took to solids and dropped milk feeds of her own accord really quickly, and my second stayed a milk monster but ate a lot alongside that. This time, I have to keep reminding myself that he's getting the calories he needs from milk and he'll eat when he wants to!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Return to New to BLW?