about drinking water..

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

about drinking water..

Postby raylis » 06 Sep 2007, 16:32

Hi all,

I think I read somewhere that when one BLWs, one should give water during mealtime.

But I have read as well, that for health reasons, we should not drink during meals, and only wait perhaps 30 minutes before drinking after a meal. My dad never allowed us to have water/any drink for that matter at the table during mealtimes.

Does this apply to the little ones too?

However, after some dried toast, sometimes DS just needs the water though.
raylis

Postby realsLINshady » 06 Sep 2007, 17:09

I have to say that I have not heard of the "no water with food" rule before.

Small is a very thirsty child and drinks about a pint of water over the course of the day. In addition I give her the sippy cup or doidy at meal times and at a a halfway point she always grabs it and has a good go at it.

I've always gone with baby-led principle of making it available and if she wants it she'll take it.
realsLINshady

Postby Aitch » 06 Sep 2007, 17:16

i've heard that, i must say. what's the reasoning again? i can't remember.
i just make it available, tbh, sometimes i'm thirsty and i want water and nothing else will do, so i presume dd feels the same.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby VanillaPickle » 06 Sep 2007, 17:24

Reasoning is if that you drink too much water (or in fact this theory can be applied with most liquids giving slighty different results) you will dilute your digestive juices and therefore give rise to a number of issues............indigestion, wind etc etc.

Although it is often recommended to those with iron issues to drink orange juice with an iron rich meal.

I think you just need to take this in moderation, along with liquids at mealtimes. I mean, there are also trains of thought that fruit should not be eaten after a meal as it could ferment in the stomach because it is digested quicker than starchy food.

If you are interested in this, google 'food combining' - it's a very interesting concept, Sir John Mills was a great advocate, reckoned it cured a lot of his aches and pains during his lifetime and my goodness he looked fantastic for his age.
VanillaPickle

Postby Bigpud » 06 Sep 2007, 19:11

If I remember rightly from my brush with 'Dr' Gillian McKeith she reckoned water stopped you from absorbing vits and mins properly. However, as her main hobby is examining poohs you may want to disregard much of what she says!
Bigpud

Postby AB&M » 06 Sep 2007, 19:38

I always offer water halfway through and at the end of out "food time". Because Bruno is still at the gagging stage (whoa did we have an almighty one today!) then he seems to need to clear his mouth afterwards.

I don't have it on the tray all the time as he still sees it as a chew toy and I just can't cope with that level of mess / clothing changes right now!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby habbibu » 07 Sep 2007, 07:49

Bigpud wrote:If I remember rightly from my brush with 'Dr' Gillian McKeith she reckoned water stopped you from absorbing vits and mins properly. However, as her main hobby is examining poohs you may want to disregard much of what she says!

Given that Gillian McKeith thinks eating chlorophyll will "oxygenate your blood" (to quote Ben Goldacre "not without a searchlight up your bum to drive the photosynthesis of oxygen, I would suggest"), I'd take her other "scientific" postulations with a bucketload of salt, and then bury them all deep underground until they're harmless, frankly. I find having water helpful if I've maybe gagged on something (yes, happens to adults too), etc, and am pretty sure the Nome finds that as well.
habbibu

Postby AB&M » 07 Sep 2007, 11:20

Definitely Habbibu - if Bruno gags I always give him water after but then he seems to ask for it now too.

I'm a bit concerned about him drinking too much water though and filling up his tum. What does everyone else think about this?

Also, my HV says we should still be boiling water before Bruno drinks it. Is anyone else still boiling & cooling water?

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby VanillaPickle » 07 Sep 2007, 11:28

I offer water constantly throughout the day and at meal times as some days the Pickle will drink and other days hardly at all. At meal times if it appears that she is drinking too much before really eating I'll just remove it for a while, then give back later in meal.

We stopped giving cooled boiled water a long, long time ago (around 10/11 months old I think) as I read/was told (can't quite remember which) that giving tap water helps to build immunity. We've not had any reaction to it.
VanillaPickle

Postby Aitch » 07 Sep 2007, 14:34

govt says only until 6 months, brunosmum.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages ... #cat341502
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby AB&M » 07 Sep 2007, 18:19

Jolly good - 2 weeks to go!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Return to Random Thoughts