Anyone seen a copy of "Cooking for Coco"?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Anyone seen a copy of "Cooking for Coco"?

Postby realsLINshady » 06 Sep 2007, 07:40

This is a recipe book by a woman called Sian Blunos who is a chef and apparently has lots of advice on interesting dishes and tips on batch cooking and freezing (dear to my lazy heart.)

However, its impossibly difficult to get hold of an actual copy - neither my library nor local Waterstones have a copy for me to browse. I don't want to order one in in case its not worth the cash. I had a quick peek on the "Look inside" facility on Amazon but they only showed the first five pages which were all for purees. (Oh dear - they were inventive and gourmet purees but purees none the less.)

So - I wondered if anyone had seen a copy and could advise as to whether it got better for finger food and is worth my time hunting one down?
realsLINshady

Postby habbibu » 06 Sep 2007, 08:10

I bought a copy for my sister, who weaned the "traditional" way, and it is lovely for that. It does have some finger food recipes, but not loads, and I gave it back to my sister after borrowing it for a while, as it just didn't seem that relevant to BLW. I can have a look for some of the recipes and post "my" versions on the blog... In other words, I don't think it's worth the money for BLW, but if you know someone who's weaning the traditional way, then I'd say it's much better than AK
habbibu

Postby realsLINshady » 06 Sep 2007, 11:47

Thanks for the warning. If you do have any versions of the recipes that you like then I'd be grateful if you did post them and I'll give them a whirl. I feel a bit in a rut and that Small gets the same repertoire over and over again. I'd like to try some new stuff on her - although this new fussiness phase doesn't bode well for her actually eating any of it!
realsLINshady

Postby Aitch » 06 Sep 2007, 11:58

i take it you've got the jennie maizels finger food for babies and toddlers book? it's good for ideas, but some of the stuff doesn't quite work, imo. and it's illustrated like a children's book, which is the bane of my life... babies can't read. make a book for ADULTS!
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby realsLINshady » 06 Sep 2007, 12:04

Yes I have got that one - and its OK. I agree with you that some of the recipes don't quite work and I think its slanted at the older toddler who wants to make their own pizza faces. Small would go mental if I gave her cut up raw veg and suggested she artworked. The results would be startling but inedible.

I was hoping to be lazy and get inspiration in a baby-ready format rather than having to trawl my "proper" cookbooks and modify recipes myself. Ho Hum... maybe I'll get stuck into them on my next night out babysitting.

My problem is that Small shows no sign of wanting to eat anything savoury that vaguely requires cutlery. (A pilaff went everywhere but down her throat last night) so I am still stuck on pick-up-able stuff and I am getting into a rut.
realsLINshady

Postby habbibu » 06 Sep 2007, 17:27

Lin, may I draw your attention to the little risotto omelettes in the recipes section? I'm sure they'd also work with pilaff...
habbibu

Return to Random Thoughts