Green Fingers anyone?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Green Fingers anyone?

Postby Fozza » 05 Sep 2007, 15:26

I have a good garden for veg and so is BLW friendly but I feel a bit out of my depth. Thought i'd start a thread for tips and experiences. Maybe a non starter but could be a good way to get to know more of you.

Moved in last year and this year (with the help of my mum and thanks to the lady who live here before) we have growing:
figs
apples
pears
rhubarb
grapes (not for babies as the have pips - destined for the wine bottle!)
loads of lettuce (end of that now, boo hoo!)
tomatos
peppers
cucumbers
spring onions
radishes
strawberries
disasterous butternut squash and pumpkin
courgette (only 1!!)
even....a tiny melon!!

I don't think any of them have thrived (apart from the lettuce and toms) due to lack of time and my inexperience, not to mention sun. What next? What to grow over winter apart from weeds? Any tips for good fruit next year? Also what to do with it all? Apples coming out my ears so much so that I am pureeing it for my SIL!!
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Aitch » 05 Sep 2007, 16:50

[envy icon][envy icon][envy icon][envy icon][envy icon][envy icon]
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Fozza » 05 Sep 2007, 17:53

Probably sounds better than it is. Few half dead plants with a bit of produce more by luck than anything else.
Fozza

Postby Aitch » 05 Sep 2007, 18:03

i dried hundreds of apples last year. buy a really good corer, slice them, dip them in water and lemon juice and then in the oven overnight on a low temp. i'll see if i can find you the proper recipe i used. i reckon you can do the same with pears.
courgettes, if you have a mandoline, are lovely mixed in with spaghetti and pesto, although how easy to eat depends on the age of the baby. other than that, slice 'em and fry in butter with a splash of olive oil to stop burning. or in an omelette, if your doiing eggs. we had allotment frittata yesterday, it was great.
roast the squash (drip some honey over if you're feeling decadent and aren't bothering about the no honey until they're one rule).
my mum used to wash, chop and freeze her rhubarb and use it for pies etc, no need to blanche. (i don't think my mother blanched a thing in her life.)
peppers you can roast and keep in oil, if you've got a surfeit.
erm, don't now about the other stuff... am very envious of your tiny melon. and your ability to do tiny writing.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Fozza » 06 Sep 2007, 13:00

These are great tips. Going to try all of them. Dried fruit sounds very interesting...I'm going to harvest at the weekend and try this. How thick did you slice them? How did babybear get on with them? How did you keep them..tupperware?

It's to do with those options below the box you type in but above the submit button.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Eleanor » 06 Sep 2007, 13:21

ooh a gardening thread. My toms are fab this year despite a late start, but courgettes have been a total disaster, rot as far as the eyes can see. Rasps and bluebs not much cop either but strawberries did ok. Chillies are shaping up nicely but I'm not sure they count as BLW food!
Eleanor

Postby Aitch » 06 Sep 2007, 13:25

tupperware, yes. i'm embarrassed to say they didn't last long... but i think me and dh ate more than dd. i didn't slice them too thickly because i couldn't be bothered peeling them first, so i wanted only a thin strip of skin round the outside. say 5-6 mm. but thinking about it, i could have done them thicker then pulled the skin off a bit before handing to dd.
check this out for apple ideas... http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees ... apple4.htm
Aitch
Site Admin

Return to Random Thoughts