How do you stay calm?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

How do you stay calm?

Postby GHJingle » 25 Sep 2016, 06:31

I'm really struggling with staying calm with A, I know that I am significantly sleep deprived and she is adjusting to me returning to work full time too, but also she is four and I know that this is the main reason for her behaviour. She's mostly an awesome little girl, sensitive to others and really kind, but she is seriously pushing my buttons at the moment. I know that I shouldn't rise to the bait, but I cannot seem to stay calm, or I do for 10-15 minutes of whining and not listening and then snap.
Any thoughts?
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Re: How do you stay calm?

Postby EnigmaFish » 25 Sep 2016, 13:07

((())) I feel the same way. I don't have any answers I'm afraid. I have had some success with something another forumite suggested (sorry, I don't remember who). Whenever she starts whining, I immediately and calmly say, "Kleintje, could you stop whining, please?" and continue saying that without getting stressed. It helps her realise she's doing it. It doesn't always work, but has diffused some situations.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Re: How do you stay calm?

Postby ches » 26 Sep 2016, 02:32

You don't have to stay calm, but it would be good if you could concentrate on telling her things she does well, even if the best you can do is make a list at bedtime. It will make a difference for both of you. xox
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Return to Random Thoughts