The first day of school handholding thread

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: The first day of school handholding thread

Postby StJuniper » 08 Sep 2016, 22:26

Scout Kid had an awesome first day. I think we can safely say he's an extrovert-- he came home brimming with stories, excitement, and energy. It's hard, not being able to check up with him throughout the day, and poor Feral Kid must've asked where his brother was a dozen times, but I think he's going to love it. And it feels surreal to have so much time during the day...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kanga » 09 Sep 2016, 05:14

Cofa's Tree wrote:We still don't start until Wednesday of next week and only for half days...wish they'd just get on with it! Hope everyone isn't too wiped out by the end of week.

Sounds like ours. Ds1 just wants to go now especially as we're there dropping his sister every day!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Brigitte » 09 Sep 2016, 05:55

Tears on day 2 :(

Thankfully I now have full confidence in her teacher, so I didn't have to fake the confidence with her that she would be alright. But it is still heartbreaking to see her happily line up to go inside, and then the reality of it all hit her, and her face changed and she started crying, "I change my mind! I don't want to go to kindergarten!" I gave her a quick pep talk and sent her on her way, and she dutifully went, crying all the way and glancing back with pleading eyes every few steps like a lamb being led to the slaughter! Oh my heart!

But I was right, she was totally fine, and all smiles at pickup. She said, "When my teacher started talking I started to feel less scared. Tomorrow I will only be one half dot scared (*indicates a tiny speck size with fingers)*. And the other half dot nervous."
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby ches » 09 Sep 2016, 07:27

I still remember saying "I don't want to go to <new teacher>, I want to go back to <previous teacher>" a few years in a row. No memory of any hesitation once I'd said goodbye to my mom, though.

T is a full-on extrovert, and he absolutely LOVES riding the bus. Today I had to get onto the bus and call him because he was so deep in conversation that he didn't notice it had stopped at his house. J is doing great in his new all-day gifted & talented program, but of course homework is causing strife. He has left it at school every day, so his journal gets stamped with "did not turn in homework" and DH yells at him. He goes to football practice 4 days a week, 5:30 - 7:30, doesn't even have a chance to shower if he didn't eat a full meal before football. (I should still be working come 5pm.) I hate homework. I told T's teachers when we went to the meet-all-the-teachers session before school started that I don't support homework, and one teacher piped up, "I totally agree!" Thankfully they put him into her class! The other teacher mumbled about how it was an inevitability in middle school... THAT IS MORE THAN TWICE THEIR LIFE AWAY FFS!
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Marrow » 09 Sep 2016, 09:07

I dropped C off this morning. We'd agreed that I would kiss her goodbye then leave, but she ran off before I had a chance! So I'm obviously convinced that she's going to hold this against me now...
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Marrow » 09 Sep 2016, 14:07

DH picked her up at 12, and she doesn't hate me so it's OK. Apparently she played with her acquaintance from nursery all morning - it sounds like they spent the whole time running round the playground. She got home, had lunch, and then fell asleep. We've got nearly three weeks until she starts doing full days - it'll be fine!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Brigitte » 10 Sep 2016, 02:56

First day: no tears.

Second day: she cried.

Third day (today): I cried! Proud mama tears. The kids all line up outside and then the teacher brings them inside to the classroom. Today, one of her classmates was crying and the mother was trying to pry her off and send her in. My kiddo leaned over to her and said, "Don't worry, I can be your friend!" Cue the proud mama tears. I decided we would have a family motto for this school year, "have courage and be kind". She glanced at me afterwards and said "Mama, I was kind!!!"
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby WeepingWillow » 10 Sep 2016, 11:26

Aw that's adorable Brigitte.
WeepingWillow

Postby EnigmaFish » 10 Sep 2016, 22:17

Lily wrote:Sounds promising Kanga!

Good luck for day 2 Brigitte! And for day 1 StJ!

How's Kleintje getting on now EF? Still tearful?

It's so lovely to hear everyone's stories, and see everyone's obligatory First Day photos. (Lily, I know you're not on Facebook, so where are your photos? :wink: )

Kleintje did seven days at school: one great, four pretty tearful, one good and one somewhat tearful... And then she got scarlet fever and missed the last three days at school! She's better now, and so she will be heading back in on Monday. Hopefully this little breather will turn things around and she'll have fun when she goes back in.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Nix » 12 Sep 2016, 06:14

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say hello, I know I've not logged in for a long time - I hope some of you remember me. I am taking my baby girl to school this morning and I just needed this thread today. Hope the first day of school went well for all your LOs! Speak soon, Nixxie
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Lily » 12 Sep 2016, 10:47

Hi Nixxie! Can't believe P is at school already! Have some ((())), and enjoy the peace at home. Today's my first child free day, one at school and the other one at nursery. The house is so quiet and nobody is trying to steal my cake. Lovely.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 12 Sep 2016, 11:55

Love P's socks, Nix :-D

C is now a school child. She goes to school. A child. That goes to school. She's all grown up. Wtaf? How? When? Do what? Where is my babyyyyy...? We both took her, in her little uniform, with her tie (ffs) and her school shoes and her hair tied back. Too cute. She went straight in, hung her cardigan up on her peg, put her book bag in the box and got stuck in to playing on the mat. And so here I am, at home, on my own. I've hung out washing, put more washing in, loaded the dishwasher, had a handyman round to look at a window, cleaned the loos, spoken to my sister on the phone for an hour, rung the bank, had lunch and I've still got two hours before the noise returns :-) Bless her. Hope your little ones have a great day.

*eyes Lily's cake*
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby LucyLastic » 12 Sep 2016, 12:05

Also, how on earth is P already at school? Isn't she only 3 1/2? What's happened there?
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Nix » 12 Sep 2016, 14:02

In Salford we have full time nursery school places for all 3 year olds, something to do with being an extremely poor area. Apparently only 2 councils in the UK offer this!

P was fine, didn't even bother when I said good bye, barely even looked up from the sand pit to say goodbye to me!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby junglewonderland » 13 Sep 2016, 11:12

Hi Nix! We started school in Feb, so I just popped into this thread to say hello! I still remember the day P was born, and telling DH, and feeling a bit self conscious about excited I was that someone online had had a baby! Hope you are well.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts