The first day of school handholding thread

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: The first day of school handholding thread

Postby Brigitte » 03 Sep 2016, 00:34

I had a good meeting with the school administration about my kiddo's anaphylaxis and epipen. They seem like really competent people. Yay!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby ches » 03 Sep 2016, 03:03

Great news about the EpiPen.

Today was my first day getting the kids off the bus. I kept checking my watch for 3:30 when T's bus drops him off. J gets dropped 20 min later. I was at the shops, making good time, when the phone rang... They get out an hour early on Fridays and they'd done two passes and I still want waiting. Had to get T from the school and then got home to J who'd been on the front porch for at least 15 min. My parents used to do that too me all the time. Once my dad was two hours late and my mom stopped by just to check if he'd picked me up, which he hadn't. Felt really shitty. :(
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby EnigmaFish » 03 Sep 2016, 21:55

(((ches))) You did it once, and only pq you forgot/didn't know they get out early on Fridays. That's completely different from doing it all the time. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Well, we got through our first week, but there was far more drama than I expected. Kleintje was great the first day, going in, but since then it's been a bit of a battle. Every morning, the teacher has to pry her off of us when we drop her off. She doesn't want to go...
This is a first. Every other place she's gone, she can't wait for us to leave.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby emzit » 04 Sep 2016, 10:45

(((((EF))))) Friends who are a year ahead of us said that there were a lot more preppies crying on the second day than the first (including theirs, muncher's bestie). They thought it was because they were so excited for the first day of school that once that had happened, the realisation that this is it now happened and they struggled to process it. Hope she gets better next week.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby WeepingWillow » 05 Sep 2016, 13:56

Aw EF, sorry it was hard, hope this week is working out better. I think sometimes they don't quite grasp (emotionally) that school is from now on, not just one exciting day! Two or three weeks in was another point where we had a few in tears as the novelty value wore off.
Lots of back to school/starting school photos on fb today! Two days to go for us. We have first day at "big gymnastics" today instead, which is nearly as exciting as far as small child is concerned.
I asked her what she was going to show the teachers when they comes to visit (home visit on Thurs), she said the hundreds tens and units blocks. Y'know, just in case as they didn't have us pegged as demented pushy parents already because of her reading.
WeepingWillow

Postby Lily » 05 Sep 2016, 19:29

Anyone else start today? Izbiz seems to have enjoyed himself, though I think he hasn't really processed the fact that he has to keep on going every day. When I mentioned that we have a dental appointment next Monday after school, he thought I meant that he would have finished school by then...
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby ches » 06 Sep 2016, 01:34

Big School is a big step up from preschool. T was telling me, you can't go the bathroom when you want to (a problem for Mr. Holds it to the Last Minute), and the bathroom is "a long way away" (as opposed to a door on the classroom previously). It's a lot to take in, for sure. He has also expressed that if his big bro were there he wouldn't need help. :( Kindergarteners aren't allowed (yet) to roam around, so e.g. when the bus arrives and there's optional breakfast in the AM, if his big bro went to his school, he could just take him in to eat breakfast. But, his big bro, J, is at a different school, in a district-wide (10 elementary schools) gifted & talented program. Definitely the best choice for J, but sad for T. :( Anyhoo, now to send in a note to the teacher, saying please don't call him by his full name, that's what he gets called when he's in trouble, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop letting him have chocolate milk at lunch, he pooped his pants TWICE last week. :( We told them he is dairy intolerant FFS.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby StJuniper » 06 Sep 2016, 07:03

P doesn't start until Thursday, but he seems to be struggling. Despite my most leading questions, he insists he's excited but not nervous to start school, and yet. His behaviour this last week has taken a major nosedive. Emotionally, he seems unable to handle anything; the slightest mishap or thing not going his way results in despairing and ear-piercing shrieks. He's also slyly pushing all the boundaries, ignoring, and doing things he knows will upset us. I know intellectually what's going on and keep resolving to be patient with him, but losing my cool in the moment when he's waking the baby or ignoring a direct instruction yet again :( Just kind of want Thursday to be here so we can hopefully get a better read on how he's actually feeling about school in action.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Lily » 07 Sep 2016, 10:06

That sounds frustrating StJ. Hopefully the anticipation is worse than the reality.

After two days of seeming completely fine and happy at school, Izbiz had a bit of a moment this morning. I'd taken him in, put all his stuff away, got him settled with a toy, all apparently totally fine, and I went out to put B in the pushchair when he came running after me in tears. "There's just so many people mummy." I think he'll be fine once he's made some friends but at the moment there's just a roomful of 60 strangers and it's emotionally exhausting for him.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Sep 2016, 11:19

The fairies are off today!!!!

Neither wanted to get up this morning - something to do with wrapping pickle up in selotape at 9.30 last night!!!

Munchie is off and away, no worries. Pickle was very "why do I have to go to school, I don't want to go to school" first thing, then really excited about it, then announced that she didn't want to stay and play when she got to her classroom!!! Her teacher swooped in to introduce her to the class bear and she was off!!! Bless her - she looked so grown up but still so tiny in her uniform! But she's only just 4!!!!

Hopefully everyone is settling in well and get in the swing of things!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby WeepingWillow » 07 Sep 2016, 12:27

Sounds like teacher's on the ball there URF. Hope she has a good day.
First day (morning) seems to have been a success here. Not clear how many new people she talked to but she found her preschool friends and saw the ones in the other class too. So far so good...
WeepingWillow

Postby Brigitte » 08 Sep 2016, 07:10

We did it! Today's visit was just a quick half hour with parents present, but it went well enough. Holycrap my child has a ton of giddy nervous energy to deal with, though! Hopefully that settles down soon. She's very self-aware that she is feeling both nervous and excited at the same time. She knows she's scared but she also knows it's going to be good.

The teachers and administration have been really awesome and responsive to various little requests I've had. I am grateful.

Wish us luck, tomorrow we drop her off and leave her there!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Kanga » 08 Sep 2016, 15:44

We had our home visit from the teacher yesterday and ds1 was beside himself with excitement. He had a wonderful time with her & is now counting the days till next Thursday when he's in for a couple of hours!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Lily » 08 Sep 2016, 17:53

Sounds promising Kanga!

Good luck for day 2 Brigitte! And for day 1 StJ!

How's Kleintje getting on now EF? Still tearful?
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Cofa's Tree » 08 Sep 2016, 18:48

We still don't start until Wednesday of next week and only for half days...wish they'd just get on with it! Hope everyone isn't too wiped out by the end of week.
Cofa's Tree

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts