The first day of school handholding thread

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: The first day of school handholding thread

Postby Kanga » 27 Aug 2016, 12:32

I'm in too. Even though I've got one at school I can't believe my little boy is going too. Our first day of term is 7th sept but he doesn't start then. We have home visits from the teacher that first week of term then the end of the next week he has 2 hour play sessions 2 days in a row then 2 weeks of half days before starting full time on 3rd October!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Lily » 27 Aug 2016, 13:29

Wow, that's a really long lead-in Kanga! It must be so difficult for people trying to juggle work. Hard enough when it's just a couple of weeks like CT's. I'm quite glad Izbiz just starts full-time on the first day of term - I'm sure the kids are pretty much settled by the end of that first week.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kanga » 27 Aug 2016, 14:03

While I appreciate why they do it, a lot of the children have been in pre school doing 9-3 days so it's not like they need to adjust to the hours, although more days a week I suppose. I also think the graduated entry is good this time of year, some of our friends did it in June which is a long time for a small person to remember. But you're right, I'm very glad I'm not at work! When dd did it they kept the preschool places open for them for the interim weeks, but they are more full now so not really an option.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby WeepingWillow » 28 Aug 2016, 16:55

Hello, catkin/catkind here, I sneaked back in by the back door - I forgot my password and no idea even which email account I originally registered with. Just wanted to join in the hand-holding and I was feeling a bit stalkerish following you guys' progress without a login. Good luck all, specially EF tomorrow!!
My "little" one will be starting on Weds 7th, which is the first day back for big too. They do mornings for that week, then 3 days of mornings and lunch. She's very excited. Apparently she's planning to be classroom spider monitor, if anyone is afraid of spiders she is going to rescue them in a cup and bring them home to catch flies for us?! Odd child.
Little being very much in inverted commas, she is in the same size school jumper as her big brother going into yr 3.
WeepingWillow

Postby ChristmasGift » 28 Aug 2016, 17:54

I'm in too. (and actually able to login and contribute today which helps). I'm feeling very emotional about it. I think I'm finding it hard because I have no smaller one waiting in the wings, so this really does mean the end of an era.
Our first day is 7th September.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Lily » 28 Aug 2016, 19:47

Hello catkin! Hamster sounds very much ready. It must be nice having an older sibling and knowing that school is a familiar environment. Hope she finds it as much fun as she's hoping!

((CG)) we'll be here if you're feeling low.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby SharkiesMum » 30 Aug 2016, 18:49

Hi again! Not been round for a while but just checked in and saw this thread. I'm in too. A is starting on September 6th and I feel so guilty that I'm totally preoccupied with CQC inspection at work (NHS) that day. He's doing 9-12 for 1 week, 9-1.30 for 2 weeks then full time. Would be totally unmanageable if DH wasn't at home with them.

I think we are organised but it seems so weird to not need pencils/packed lunch/morning tea/books for writing etc which I needed when I started school (in another country). Am so worried about him turning up on the day and being the odd one out because of something I have forgotten to do. Although I don't think he'd care, it's only my own insecurity.

Also, how is a 4 year old supposed to tie a tie?
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby SharkiesMum » 30 Aug 2016, 18:50

Hi again! Not been round for a while but just checked in and saw this thread. I'm in too. A is starting on September 6th and I feel so guilty that I'm totally preoccupied with CQC inspection at work (NHS) that day. He's doing 9-12 for 1 week, 9-1.30 for 2 weeks then full time. Would be totally unmanageable if DH wasn't at home with them.

I think we are organised but it seems so weird to not need pencils/packed lunch/morning tea/books for writing etc which I needed when I started school (in another country). Am so worried about him turning up on the day and being the odd one out because of something I have forgotten to do. Although I don't think he'd care, it's only my own insecurity.

Also, how is a 4 year old supposed to tie a tie?
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Lily » 30 Aug 2016, 20:23

Hi SM! Ties? That's ridiculous! Can you get him a fake one with elastic? Normally I'd hate the idea, but I do remember all the little boys at my primary school had them, and it seems like the only realistic way to do it, assuming he has to change for PE and put it back on by himself afterwards.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby SharkiesMum » 30 Aug 2016, 21:35

Hi Lily!
I bought one from the school assuming it would be an elastic one but no! It's just a small normal tie. All the kids will be in the same boat, he'll just have to not wear it after PE. Or lunch. They recommend the kids wear Velcro shoes so they can do them up themselves...then include a tie in the 4 year old (boys and girls) uniform! Mad.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby WeepingWillow » 31 Aug 2016, 01:46

I think ties in reception is nuts whether elastic or not... but can you teach him to loosen the loop and slip it off still done up for PE? I can remember my brother being taught to tie a tie when he started school, and many of us learning to do shoe laces; in those days it was 5 not 4 though, which does make a difference!
How was the first day EF?
WeepingWillow

Postby emzit » 01 Sep 2016, 09:35

Hello all! (Assuming I can actually post this!)

I'm sending hugs to everyone and holding hands all around. Muncher won't be starting until the first week of February but it's coming up way too soon! He's done three transition sessions, after a disastrous cling-fest the first time he just ran off last week which was a huge relief! Will start thinking of uniform and whatnot around Christmas, I guess.

Hope your first days are all smooth and happy although I still think it's crazy that they're all starting before muncher and he's up to a year older than some of them! They seem so little... Good luck little poppets!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 01 Sep 2016, 11:41

Can I have a hand hold for last day of nursery today, please? I'm hoping that we'll be back again at some point in the next few years, but having to face up to the idea that we might not be. Waaah.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby WeepingWillow » 01 Sep 2016, 19:04

Aw marrow, were you :cry ? It's when the kids do assemblies and plays and things that always gets me.
Hope it was a good last day!
WeepingWillow

Postby StJuniper » 01 Sep 2016, 23:13

((((Marrow)))) for a bittersweet day.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts