Wearing boots

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Wearing boots

Postby emzit » 23 Jul 2016, 05:37

I bought the boys a pair of boots each a couple of months ago to get them through winter. Squish loves his and lives in them but muncher has flatly refused to wear them, which I'm really struggling with as they weren't cheap! He has worn them precisely twice - both at home because he says he doesn't want people to see them and he thinks they will laugh at him. He chose the boots, they are comfy and very cool - I want a pair the same!

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to encourage him to wear them? I've tried encouragement when we go out but he gets so worked up its not worth it. He wore them at home when his bestie was over a few weeks ago, they were highly praised, but ultimately that didn't help. Ive pointed out all his kinder buddies wearing boots but he's just so bloody stubborn!

Any ideas?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Re: Wearing boots

Postby qbm » 23 Jul 2016, 05:59

Hmmmmmm, I'd be tempted to leave them out by the front door or somewhere and not mention them at all. I'd make a few comments about Squish's boots while out and about without being too obvious. Maybe Muncher will come round. (My two are pretty stubborn)!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Jul 2016, 19:45

Im afraid I can't even think about wearing boots at the minute Emzit, it's far too hot. Ask me again when the temp drops a bit lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 24 Jul 2016, 04:06

For P, if he gets an idea like this in his head, I try not to bring it up so he forgets. If I keep talking about it, he'll keep remembering the position he's decided to take on the matter, and then stick to it, but if I keep the thing under the radar for a while, he often forgets.

Then again, I'm not very keen on letting them make I'll-advised clothing choices, so I'd probably hear out his argument against wearing the boots and then say, "Tough luck, we bought the boots and now we can't let them go to waste; put them on!" So there's that route...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby emzit » 24 Jul 2016, 07:21

I've been through periods where I'm not mentioning it but he hasn't forgotten. He just seems to have it in his head that people will laugh at him and can't be reassured. The tough love approach hasn't worked because it causes a massive meltdown - tried that too. He likes them when he wears them, I just can't get them on. So even after he wore them when his mate was here, he still flatly refused them the next day... It feels hopeless.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby junglewonderland » 31 Jul 2016, 05:51

Bribery? Usually works for me to get past a stubborn refusal. Or find some loved TV character who wears boots? I understand your pain emzit, we had the same situation, I'm just lucky Koala came round eventually! Hope the same happens for you too.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby qbm » 01 Aug 2016, 17:56

Are they lace ups? Funky laces? Pin badges or characters like you get for crocs?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Return to Random Thoughts