What do you think? Re chicken pox

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

What do you think? Re chicken pox

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Jun 2016, 06:07

Hi everyone, looking for your thoughts as I'm very confused.

CM has had a classic case of chicken pox.
Started getting itchy spots last Thurs which rapidly spread and developed into blisters and have now started crusting over. She had a bit of a temperature but Calpol brought it down ok and that had gone within about 3 days.

SM got a few very small spots on Sunday and her temperature went up, possibly higher than CMs but we don't have a working thermometer apparently so I can't be sure. Calpol will bring it down for a short while before it shoots up again. She constantly wants to be wrapped up 'warm and cosy' which I don't think is helping getting it to stay down. Her spots have not developed at all and are not itchy. If it weren't for CM we wouldn't have thought of chicken pox at all. She's not eating very much at all either but this morning started wrenching and has brought up a bit of water, and has just had a bout of diarrhoea.

I guess what I want your thoughts on are do you think SM also has chicken pox or some other random virus that she just happened to get a few days after CM. That sounds like a big coincidence to me, or could she have got both chicken pox and another virus, or could the chicken pox be the cause of the S&D.

Hope this doesn't sound mean but I want to know she has chicken pox so I know she's bad it and don't need to worry about it coming back. Whilst I don't think the girls have suffered massively with the actual pox, we've all suffered with 7 nights of bad sleep now and that is affecting them almost as much I think
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: What do you think? Re chicken pox

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 22 Jun 2016, 19:06

Sounds like the onset of chicken pox. Tempreture and nausea are common, diarrhoea less so, but still on the list.

Siblings usually (but not always) have it worse because they have been in contact with the virus for longer. Sorry - that's probably not what you want to hear! It can be 7-21 days after the first shows signs that the second one does and then it can be several days before the spots appear.

I hope it's over quickly for you. You are right, as awful as it can be, best done and dusted! (I made sure Munchie caught it off pickle a couple of years ago! Box ticked!!!!)
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Treeb » 22 Jun 2016, 19:16

I still don't get why you don't vaccinate for it over there. (Sorry, not helpful I know.)
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Jun 2016, 03:52

I guess I never thought about vaccinating cos it's usually not serious and you can't vaccinate against everything.

It's beginning to look more like CP now, she has said the spots on her back are starting to itch and they look a bit redder. Let her have a 2hr nap yesterday afternoon, baaaaad idea. She didn't go to sleep til gone 9pm. On the plus side I haven't been up all night with her for the first time in ages. Today's joy was getting up at 4am with CM. Still trying to work out how to persuade her to go back to bed
Kitcameron

Postby emzit » 23 Jun 2016, 05:42

We have it as standard on our immunisation schedule here. There's still a lot of people that don't get it though. One of my friends has just had all four of her kids get it within a four week period (including a 3 month old) as well as coping with a seriously injured DH. Not fun!

Hope SM doesn't get it too badly and you all get some sleep KC.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Jun 2016, 13:35

I think if I had more than 2 children, and in hindsight which would be too late, I might think about it just cos it's such a slog of rough nights and grumpy kids, especially if there were two weeks between each child so you'd just gotten over one bout for the next child to get it. With three kids you could be getting very little sleep for about 6 weeks, and I just couldn't cope with that. But I probably wouldn't think about vaccinating in advance so I'm glad I only have two kids lol.
Kitcameron

Postby Treeb » 23 Jun 2016, 14:12

It's a standard vaccination here too. A has just had her first dose at 1 year and I think they get a second dose at 4.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 23 Jun 2016, 20:24

We've just had chicken pox here. Wriggles first and I too decided it wasn't actually the pox as he woke up with around 10 spots which never developed into blisters and he didn't get anymore. However, about 11 days later Baby Girl got it properly so I think in hindsight he must have also had it. There's such a huge range of severity with it.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Jun 2016, 20:31

Yeah there definitely is. SMs is looking more like proper pox now so I'm wondering whether she just got other symptoms first and how long this is going to go on for. She's still not really coMplaining of being itchy luckily.

What are people's thoughts on going on with poxy kids? Whilst DH has been at work and it's been just me and the kids the o lay places we've been have been the pharmacy out of necessity, the park in the evening when there were no other kids there anyway and our back garden. I resisted the urge to go shopping as didn't want to take them into contact with anyone who might have lower immunity or chances of becoming much more poorly from it, but today DH has had us out to buy camping gear and new plant pots. His logic being that if 90% of people get it before adulthood they might as well get it from our kids and smeoeto have passed it to our kids in the first place and we don't blame them, it's just one of those things. Think we're still going to have an easy, at home day tomorrow though as SM is getting worn out and napping during the day and then isn't going to sleep st night til really late but still getting up at the same time as usual
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 23 Jun 2016, 20:36

I avoided going out at all once BabyGirl got it, mainly worried about pregnant people but also messing up people's holiday plans - which meant I had to drop Wriggles off with another parent in the school car park and get someone to bring him back down to me at pick up time! However, we were on a plane the day before BabyGirl came down with it so she would have been infectious then but obviously I had no idea so who knows how many people we infected on there.

When Wriggles got his spots (which I decided were bites - I saw a nurse who said could be bites, could be pox but that we would know for sure if it was pox as he would get loads more and they would blister... obviously not!) we were due to fly 4 days later so I thought we would have to cancel the holiday. I don't think he would have been contagious assuming he did have CP as his red marks were practically gone by then but BG definitely was on the way back.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby emzit » 23 Jun 2016, 21:50

I think going out with poxy kids is really irresponsible. You don't know who you'll come across - newborns, people with suppressed immune systems, it could be anyone and you have no idea what impact you can cause. Even if it was someone healthy catching it you don't know the knock on effects. What if you gave it to someone who had a terminally ill family member and there weren't permitted to go to hospital to say goodbye?

Yes, it has to come from somewhere but I wouldn't want to be the person risking others' health. You might not be annoyed but if I knew someone had taken their kid out, knowing they were infectious, I'd be mighty pissed off. And in fact, I have been - my brother got infected at our wedding by the best man's kid, who we said wasn't to come because we also had a six week old there. My brother came down with it on the way to South Africa for the wedding of a very close family friend - we consider her a sister. Fortunately he wasn't contagious by the day of the wedding but he was too sick to stay longer than an hour.

Ita a pain to be quarantined but I absolutely would keep my boys at home. No question.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 24 Jun 2016, 02:02

Those were my thoughts too Emzit but DH is lie a caged animal when confined and I gave in to avoid an argument. Will be firm from now though knowing I'm not the only one. When are they considered not contagious?
Kitcameron

Return to Random Thoughts