Help me brainstorm a party game?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Help me brainstorm a party game?

Postby StJuniper » 19 Jun 2016, 01:21

So I'm having my big annual Canada Day party, and this year the theme is ancient Greek mythology/Olympics. One of the games I want to do is a sort of large scale obstacle course based on the 12 Labours of Hercules. My idea is to have two teams, and 12 stations each based on one of the 12 Labours. At each station is a task, and the team to get through all of them first wins. I think it would be good if some were full-team stations and some you could have a single team-member complete the task.

Things is, the Labours don't reallllly lend themselves to my idea. Here they are:
1. Slay the Nemean Lion (bulletproof lion)
2. Slay the Lernaean Hydra (regenerating many-headed serpent with one immortal head)
3. Capture the Ceryneian Hind (deer fast enough to outrun an arrow)
4. Capture the Erymanthian Boar (basically a big old grumpy pig)
5. Clean Out the Augean Stables in a single day (shovel the dung of 1,000 cows with healthy appetites)
6. Chase Away the Stymphalian Birds (flesh-eating birds with metal beaks/feathers)
7. Capture the Cretan Bull (basically a big old grumpy cow)
8. Capture the Mares of Diomedes (flesh-eating mad horses)
9. Capture the Belt of Hippolyta (queen of the Amazons)
10. Gather the Cattle of Geryon (basically a bunch of cows who needed to travel a long way)
11. Steal Apples from the Garden of the Hesperides (blissful secret garden of nymphs)
12. Capture Cerberus (3-headed guard dog of the underworld)

Here are my ideas so far. Can you guys help me improve them? Weed out the bad and refine the good?

1. A lion target that they have to hit in the mouth (apparently that was the Nemean lion's only unarmoured part) with a dart
2. Something with rubber snakes? Maybe one snake is spray painted gold to be the immortal head, and they have to try to pull it from a box full of regular rubber snakes?
3. In some versions of the story, Hercules caught it with a net, so something to do with that?
4. Carry a greased watermelon from point A to point B, possibly with some obstacles.
5. Using small toy shovels, the team must empty a box of dirt into another box
6. Burst a bunch of water balloons hanging on a rope
7. Carry something really heavy as a team
8. I don't know, probably I'll try to get my hands on some flesh-eating wild horses 'cause I got nothing for this one...
9. Hang a belt somewhere high that people have to climb and get it? This sounds lame and hard to set up.
10. Bring your whole team across a distance without touching the ground (using wood planks or maybe a balance beam?)
11. Bob for apples
12. Team pairs up and gets everyone across a distance as a three-legged race
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Re: Help me brainstorm a party game?

Postby yorkshirepudding » 19 Jun 2016, 07:04

I am loving this, it sounds like a totally bonkers idea, therefore genius!

I will definitely be revisiting with some more suggestions, but for now:
2. The snakes should definitely be in a lot of slime to make it more interesting.
8. You could do star orienteering where 'horses' are hidden around the area and team members get shown the position of 1 at a time on a map, collect one then the next person is shown the next one (does that make sense?)
9. You could play it as a wide game with 1 belt worn by a member of each team, try and capture it from the other team whilst defending your own belt, some other exciting rules thrown in if you like...
10. We used to do similar with plastic milk crates and planks to 'cross the swamp'. Wearing horns would be an added challenge as they'd keep crashing together when the team are all bunched up!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby emzit » 19 Jun 2016, 09:58

I don't have any useful suggestions but I thought you might need a reminder that you have a tiny newborn and that sounds like a LOT of preparation is needed in not much time... don't go too overboard and wind up stressed about it...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Jun 2016, 11:09

This sounds amazing lol.

The o lay thing I have to add is could 3. Be some kind of speed test?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 19 Jun 2016, 15:58

emzit wrote:I don't have any useful suggestions but I thought you might need a reminder that you have a tiny newborn and that sounds like a LOT of preparation is needed in not much time... don't go too overboard and wind up stressed about it...

Don't worry, I have lots of family around to do the actual work; I mostly just need to take care of the planning.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Jun 2016, 21:37

I've seen 10 done with the whole team on two wooden planks. Everyone's left foot goes on one plank together, and that plank is guided by a rope they hold in their left hand; everyone's right foot and hand hold another plank. The team that wins will be the one that does the best job of coordinating everyone lifting and stepping together at the same time. It looks pretty easy but it's actually quite hard.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby StJuniper » 20 Jun 2016, 01:32

yorkshirepudding wrote:I am loving this, it sounds like a totally bonkers idea, therefore genius!

I will definitely be revisiting with some more suggestions, but for now:
2. The snakes should definitely be in a lot of slime to make it more interesting.
8. You could do star orienteering where 'horses' are hidden around the area and team members get shown the position of 1 at a time on a map, collect one then the next person is shown the next one (does that make sense?)
9. You could play it as a wide game with 1 belt worn by a member of each team, try and capture it from the other team whilst defending your own belt, some other exciting rules thrown in if you like...

Re: 2, I saw a thing on Pinterest of finding a flag in a baby pool full of shaving cream, I could do something like that. Only shaving cream sounds hard to clean up, and how many bottles wouldn't take to fill a baby pool?
9. Is a good idea except I'm a bit worried about people getting hurt? I guess I'll tell them to put the belt on someone tough.
StJuniper

Postby StJuniper » 20 Jun 2016, 01:35

EnigmaFish wrote:I've seen 10 done with the whole team on two wooden planks. Everyone's left foot goes on one plank together, and that plank is guided by a rope they hold in their left hand; everyone's right foot and hand hold another plank. The team that wins will be the one that does the best
job of coordinating everyone lifting and stepping together at the same time. It looks pretty easy but it's actually quite hard.

Actually, my in laws have these four-person "skis" made of 2x4s that would be perfect for this!
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 20 Jun 2016, 02:04

Four person skis? Can we file that under "weird things you'd only find in Canada"?

Do your boys ever play in shaving cream? Clean up isn't that bad on a small scale, so I don't think it would be too horrible, assuming you'll be outside and have a hose available. I usually scoop the bulk of it into the trash, then the rest rrinsesaway fairly easily. You might need to buy a can or two and do a test run for amounts. Or you could fill the pool with jello.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 20 Jun 2016, 09:10

Seriously, you are bonkers. You have a teeny tiny baby and this sounds like soooo much work.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby StJuniper » 20 Jun 2016, 11:34

I don't know what the rest of your tiny babies were like, but mine mostly eats, sleeps on me, and requires me to carry her around everywhere. I wouldn't want to set this all up by myself under those circumstances, but I have SO much time for sitting around planning things! I'm super bored and spend most of my time looking at silly memes on Facebook
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 20 Jun 2016, 12:15

My first one demanded constant, proper attention from day one. He wanted interaction except when sleeping and he never did much of that.

Second one was a bit more normal and wanted to sleep a lot (she confused me) but number one was still busy demanding attention! It's only now that they're able to entertain each other that we're less required.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Return to Random Thoughts