Enforcing quiet time?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Enforcing quiet time?

Postby Treeb » 27 May 2016, 19:05

Well L has finally dropped his naps at 3y8m old! I'd really like him to still have a "quiet time" in his bedroom every day, both to give him a chance to slow down and also to have a break for myself. So for those of you who do this - how do you enforce it?

There are days when he will lie in bed quietly looking at books or playing with his toys for hours, but more often he just stands at the top of the stairs shouting down that he wants me or wants to come down or whatever else, which hardly gives either one of us a break and also disrupts A's naps.

What's worked for you?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Re: Enforcing quiet time?

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2016, 19:06

Absolutely nothing! Good luck.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 27 May 2016, 19:15

mamapup wrote:Absolutely nothing! Good luck.

This! I gave up - it was just stressing us both out! Though I did try story CDs which might have helped for a child more happy in his own company!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Treeb » 27 May 2016, 19:25

:cry That is not what I want to be told! I want to hold on to my delusions that these strong willed children can actually be made to do as we wish. Maybe you can just make up a happy ending for me and pretend I'll be able to get him to rest quietly? Maybe post a link to some too-perfect quiet bins on Pinterest that are carefully labeled for each day of the month?

Treeb

Postby Marrow » 27 May 2016, 19:57

I might be able to give you hope?!

C was also late ish to give up her nap - somewhen after Christmas maybe? We have used story CDs for ages for nap and night time, and it just got to the stage where sometimes she slept and sometimes she didn't. When she didn't, evenings were getting horrid, so we encouraged her to play with Lego and listen to stories. And then the stories went (for nap time anyway).

For us, we need to be close by. Her bedroom is on the same floor as DH's office, so he just potters in there. I don't think it would work if we weren't being "quiet" too. She is allowed to play Lego in his office, but there's no helping and no talking. Or she can play in her room. At the end of rest time (and conditional on reasonable behaviour during rest time!) is TV time.

It works for us, but it kind of happened organically. Hth!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 27 May 2016, 20:36

Can he recognize the passage of time? If P is supposed to be having room or quiet time, I stick a clock in there with him, and if he's loud or comes out, I add five minutes to his release time. I think it's the kind of thing that would only work for a particular temperament of child, but it didn't take long for him to decide it wasn't worth it.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 28 May 2016, 01:33

I should get a timer and try that, StJ. Not sure if it would work for him or not but it could at least give him some kind of visual as to how long he was expected to stay there.

Lego is a good idea Marrow. He doesn't get to play with them often because A is still at a stage where they'd go straight into her mouth.

Treeb

Postby ches » 28 May 2016, 03:28

Headphones... Gardening? Let him shout, but don't respond.

Meh, Johnny NEVER in a bajillion years would've done it, but Theo will play on his own quite happily. I figure it's all down to personality, not magic childwhispering.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby emzit » 28 May 2016, 10:24

I never bothered. Muncher stopped naps with me (still had them at childcare) when muncher was tiny and I didn't have the patience to try and enforce anything. If I'm desperate for a break he has a movie day. He thinks it's a treat for him...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby LucyLastic » 28 May 2016, 12:09

Quiet time. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Random Thoughts