Conjunctivitis

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Conjunctivitis

Postby LucyLastic » 16 May 2016, 23:03

Poor C has got bacterial conjunctivitis, according to the GP. She'd had gunky eyes (looks like snot - bleurgh) all day, so called for a phone consultation, but the on-call GP asked to see her, so off we went. He gave me a script for two tubes of antibiotic ointment (which they kindly dispensed for me there, seeing as the pharmacies in town were already closed - they have a strange rule that you can't get stuff dispensed there if you live within a mile of the practice) which I have to apply four times a day. It is not an easy task. I have to put it on my finger then wipe my finger across her open eye. Just ewwww. Poor poppet. And no nursery for two days. Aaaarggh. Someone please send me a G&T on Wednesday evening. Most obliged.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Conjunctivitis

Postby Kitcameron » 17 May 2016, 07:11

According to a GP friend of mine nurseries are not allowed to exclude children for conjunctivitis, despite it being so contagious, because it's not usually serious.

Our nursery said SM could only go in if she was being medicated for it but dr said it was probably the kind that wouldn't respond (I'm guessing that's viral if yours is bacterial) to medication so I just told them it was a twice a day thing so we were doing it before and after nursery. I was, I was medicating with breast milk lol. Dr also thought I was a breast feeding crazy lady when I said it worked on my own eyes so that's what I was doing with SM. You could see this look of 'how is she getting it in her own eyes?' Pass across his face lol

Hugs to you both though, it's not pleasant.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 17 May 2016, 08:14

Poor C! I've never tried the ointment as I always just use breast milk on my kids too, but I know that saltwater helps. I assume your GP told you to wipe away the gunk with cooled boiled water and cotton wool? If you dissolve plenty of salt in the water too, it makes it more effective.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby qbm » 17 May 2016, 09:04

Ugh. That sucks.

Is the ointment a sticky gel type thing? I found it really tricky to use successfully on myself a couple of weeks ago and went back to get drops instead. Far more effective and easier to get in my eyes. Would that make it easier?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Kanga » 17 May 2016, 11:00

Someone recommended cooled camomile tea to me once. Hope it clears up soon, it's miserable.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 17 May 2016, 12:35

Wouldn't salt water sting like a .... Very stingy thing?
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 17 May 2016, 13:11

Kitcameron wrote:Wouldn't salt water sting like a .... Very stingy thing?

Only if you have a cut on your eye. Tears are salty, so salt doesn't sting eyes.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 17 May 2016, 14:03

She's being a trooper, bless her, despite looking like she's been up all night crying over being dumped by her boyfriend :-D
Yes, the GP said to wipe with cooled boiled water and cotton wool, and yes, the ointment is like a clear gel. She woke up at 7:30 this morning, which is early for her, so I cleaned her eyes and put the stuff on, then told her she needed to keep her eyes shut for it to work. Next thing I know, it's 10:30am. Hurrah for conjunctivitis!!!
The disgusting snot-like gunk seems to have cleared up, so whatever that stuff is, it appears to be doing the trick. Now it's just the watering and the pinkness. I don't really mind her not going to nursery and spreading it back around, as I'm not working. Also, nursery didn't tell me she couldn't go, the GP did. They probably would have been fine with it.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Kitcameron » 17 May 2016, 14:56

Good point Lily. I've always thought salt water stung but come to think about it I've been diving and you have to take your mask off as a training exercise and swim around.

Glad she's looking better and you're happy having her off nursery. I always plan loads of things I need to get done on nursery days so if I suddenly have SM off I'm like "argh" pulling hair out, inflexible woman. Lol.
Kitcameron

Return to Random Thoughts