Fancy but easy baking

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Fancy but easy baking

Postby emzit » 16 May 2016, 22:51

Next week our office is having a bake off, I'm keen to enter but I don't know what to make! Something easy but totally yummy is ideal. I've got a good cheesecake brownie recipe but I don't know if I can present it nicely enough, and I've made it before so not sure about using it again... Anyone got any good recipes I could try?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Re: Fancy but easy baking

Postby Kanga » 17 May 2016, 05:57

I've taken to making mini lemon meringue pies (jam tart size) to take to places as they look a bit fancy but really aren't that hard. I think anything miniature is good, mini Victoria sponges are cute & feel more fancy for example. Or mini bake wells.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 17 May 2016, 07:07

I agree, mini looks better. I have a mini Victoria sponge tin in and mini loaf tin which I use for things like that.

Mini lemon meringue pies sound good. Will have to remember that one.

We held our own Bake Off a few years ago to raise money for Comic Relef and the cakes that won were just normal cupcakes with nicely piped buttercream (huge amounts of buttercream) swirled on top and probably some sprinkles or something. They looked impressive but dead easy (if you can use a piping bag, which I cant lol)
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby emzit » 17 May 2016, 12:42

We have an awesome grass nozzle that we got for squish's mountain bike birthday cake. I really want to use it as it was lots of fun but I can't think of anything I can. A remake of squish's cake is no good as it took a looooong time.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby lizandimo » 17 May 2016, 13:44

I love the grass tip too, and was dying to use it when I first got it! The only things I've done are cupcakes with grass and then fondant flowers and animal faces or cupcakes with nests (using that tip) and mini egg chicks, but that one's a bit Easter-y. Not very helpful, sorry! Agree with what the other said about mini stuff, also means you can choose the best ones to take, if any go wrong!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Kitcameron » 17 May 2016, 15:01

I end up buying things for cakes and then only using them once too. Need to make another paw patrol cake so I can use the cutters again. Didn't think that one through lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby felizefun » 17 May 2016, 17:39

You can use the grass nozzle to make Cookie Monster cupcakes. Blue 'grass-like' frosting on top, fondant eyes and a bit of cookie for the mouth.
felizefun

Postby Lily » 17 May 2016, 19:24

I did square cupcakes for our wedding, iced in green (flat, not grass-shaped), with sugar-paste daisies and clover leaves. They were served all pushed together into big squares so they looked like a lawn. It was very cute, and the flowers looked impressive despite being just about the easiest ones to make from icing.

Wow, just realised that was 10 years ago and it's probably a bit weird to remember the baking as clearly as I do...
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to Random Thoughts