Psoriasis

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Psoriasis

Postby Treeb » 19 Apr 2016, 20:41

Anyone here have experience with psoriasis? I have a red flaky itchy patch on the top of my foot which the doctor has just diagnosed as plaque psoriasis and prescribed a steroid cream for. I know the internet is full of information, but I'm curious if anyone here has personal experience to share.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Re: Psoriasis

Postby Lily » 20 Apr 2016, 06:58

Yep. I have it relatively mildly, kept under control with steroids; so does my DH. It's irritating but fine as long as you don't mind using the creams long-term. Whilst you're breast-feeding, it's supposedly better to use plenty of cream for a short time to suppress flare-ups, rather than a little every day for longer periods.

My FIL has it very severely over his whole body. It's horrific but there's no need to frighten yourself with those stories on the internet if yours is just localised.

Sunshine helps a lot, so get some low cut sandals and enjoy the summer!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby emilychal » 20 Apr 2016, 14:23

Hello!
I've had it all my life, it's pretty extensive on my arms and legs (esp when pregnant, which definitely makes it worse) but not debilitating.
My choice is to not use the steroids unless it's really bothering me, as it always comes back sooner or later when I stop. So I chose to accept not so pleasant look against lots of steroid creams a lot of the time.
Having said that, in your situation with a localised small patch I would go for it and just get rid. Hopefully that's the end of it and you'll never get it again. But be aware it might come back if you're stressed, not getting much sun, or got some areas of irritation (rubbing, skin damage for whatever reason).
I'd recommend upping your moisturising, and avoid things like exfoliation and scrubbing lots in the shower. They make your skin softer for the day but long term are counterproductive.

any specifics just get in touch, I don't mind people asking. =)
------------------------------------------
First time mum to a beautiful little girl, born August 2013, who is loving her food!
So glad I decided to do BLW =)
emilychal

Postby Treeb » 20 Apr 2016, 19:45

Thanks both of you.

Lily, it's good to hear that yours is very mild since that is what I'm hoping for! Thanks for the tip about steroid use while breastfeeding too.

Yours sounds pretty irritating emilychal! I think that moisturizing is where I really need to improve. The spot where it has started was formerly a patch of dry skin that I could never remember to moisturize, and I tend to have fairly dry (and neglected) skin in general. Should I moisturize that area while using the steroids, or let the steroids clear it up and then switch to a moisturizer? Is there a specific type or brand of moisturizer you'd recommend?

Have either of you found that what you eat affects it at all?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lily » 20 Apr 2016, 20:25

I don't think diet affects mine, but stress and hormones definitely do. It was totally clear when I was pregnant with Izbiz, but then got worse when I was pregnant with Bee.

Moisturising while using steroids is fine, just space them out at different times of day. I don't know if you have the same brand in the US but I like Dermalex moisturiser a lot; there are different formulations for various skin issues, including one specifically for eczema and psoriasis.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby doodlesmummy » 21 Apr 2016, 09:04

Hi treeb
I have had eczema since a child and in the past 5 years also psoriasis. I have seen many a dermatologist and my Dad is a recently retired GP.
Here are my words of wisdom from all that experience:
I have never detected a diet issue making it worse
Stress, central heating and premenstrually it can flare a bit
cotton clothing helps
No scratching/exfoliating - it is tempting with psoriasis to get rid of the surface skin but this will only anger it
gentle soaps
use of a nonbio washing powder, no fabric conditioner
when using steroid cream it is always better to use enough of it, many times (as prescribed) per day for a few days to blitz it, rather than try to use small amounts infrequently to keep on top of it. Lots of folk are scared of steroid creams but especially on a foot you would have to use the cream everyday for a v long time to cause any problems.
hah
DM x
Doodle's Mummy

its not how much you eat...but how you eat it that counts!
doodlesmummy

Postby emilychal » 21 Apr 2016, 09:38

Morning!

I agree with the others, I've never spotted a correlation with food. My mum took me to all sorts of dermatologists when I was little, it actually got better once she stopped as they were contradicting themselves. I was therefore less stressed about it and it calmed down a bit.
Moisturise and steroid creams at different times, otherwise the moisturiser provides a bit of a barrier.

The sun is the best answer for me, shame I live in northern england! (although the last couple of days have been beautiful)
------------------------------------------
First time mum to a beautiful little girl, born August 2013, who is loving her food!
So glad I decided to do BLW =)
emilychal

Postby Lily » 21 Apr 2016, 13:39

Just remembered the name of the other really good moisturiser: Eucerin. It's kind of waxy/sticky, but great.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to Random Thoughts