Thoughts?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Thoughts?

Postby yorkshirepudding » 09 Apr 2016, 22:15

So, I know lots of you are getting ready for lo's starting school in September. Can't believe it will be us next year! Thing is, I keep reading about homeschooling, actually unschooling, and feeling like this is what I should be doing. Haven't read loads and definitely biased towards.

I have briefly been a teacher in schools, and my knowledge from this, and the increasing amount of shit being thrown teachers' and pupils' way by government really worries me. I know I was ok in school, but that was yonks ago, and the more I read about unschooling the more I think Yes! This is what school should be actually! (But not possible!). Not sitting at speaks and being tested, and learning things because you're told to and to get a gold star. I know there are/ have been home school threads on here before which I should search through. Just wondered if you 'alternative' types (purely based on your blw ing) had thoughts like this, it's quite alarming thinking outside the conventional schooling box, especially as I'm definitely not organised/ patient enough in my current mind state to see how it would work.

Kind of defeats the point of moving to a cute village with a cute school!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Re: Thoughts?

Postby Treeb » 09 Apr 2016, 23:39

Yes yes yes! I am planning to homeschool/unschool. (Dh has agreed to homeschooling and will pretty much defer to whatever method I choose but I don't think he fully comprehends what I have planned as far as lack of curriculum.)

I did start a thread about this quite a while ago, so I can try to look that up for you later if you'd like. I'm in the US, so I know things are a bit different but I think there were perspectives from all around.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Treeb » 10 Apr 2016, 00:57

Here's my post from about a year ago if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55978
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lily » 10 Apr 2016, 09:20

Part of me would love to do this, for all the reasons you give. But we won't, because I think that in our case, the arguments against are stronger.

Izbiz really thrives at nursery, and I notice all the time that his learning there complements what he learns at home - the more structured, (marginally) more formal stuff gives him a basis to ask questions. And although DH and I both had excellent educations, and he's a professional educator, there are areas we wouldn't feel confident teaching. Having a range of adult perspectives seems like a good thing to me. Even full-time school is only 6 hours a day, so there will still be plenty of time to pursue our own interests outside that.

Having a littler one at home also makes me feel he'll benefit from school, where his baby sister isn't always getting in the way. And it'll let me spend time focusing on her, like I did with him as a toddler.

I love my work, and there's definitely an element of self-interest involved in getting some time back for that. Plus it'll allow us to maintain our lifestyle without penny-pinching.

And finally we are lucky that our local primary is excellent (assuming he gets in). They spend tons of time outdoors, there's no homework except reading, and lots of opportunities for things like music, art, sports, trips etc that it would be very very hard to replicate in a homeschool setting without spending a ton of money.

But depending on how it goes once he starts school, it's absolutely something I will be keeping on the table as a possible future option.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby junglewonderland » 10 Apr 2016, 12:59

Homeschooling is definitely something I considered. It seems such a natural progression of parenting, and BLW type things. The deal breaker for us was Koala's personality. He is very strong willed which I couldn't handle!
There is an oldie who homeschooled, I'm just trying to remember who?
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Marrow » 10 Apr 2016, 13:46

junglewonderland wrote:There is an oldie who homeschooled, I'm just trying to remember who?

Are you thinking of Jelly Belly?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 10 Apr 2016, 14:01

Blah, wrote a long reply and my phone ate it...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby yorkshirepudding » 10 Apr 2016, 22:18

Thanks everyone. I read through Treebs thread too so might have caught the gist of what you were saying StJ?

I think he will probably start at school and then like you say lily, keep it as an option. Need to check out the local school more, about homework etc. I will be the annoying rebel parent. I was reading about children not being allowed to go to the toilet when they needed to at some schools, so many aspects of school life you take for granted until you hear something like that. I think I kind of want to start my own co-operative school with a few friends, but think I need another lifetime to create one. (In love with Teacher Tom's co-op pre school (bit awkward as its in Seattle) via his blog, check it out if you don't know it).
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Return to Random Thoughts