Vomiting

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Vomiting

Postby LucyLastic » 08 Apr 2016, 11:07

So, this is somewhat uncharted territory for me. C has only been sick on two occasions, once when she was one and she vommed up her milk feeds and was very listless and clearly unwell. The second time was at some stage in the last year, where she was quite forcefully sick, couldn't face anything and slept all day, then it passed.
This morning, she woke a couple of hours earlier than normal and called for me. When I went in, she was sitting up in bed with a handful of 'yucky'. We cleaned her up, she came in with us amd she was sick again a bit later on. We've just had three hours with nothing, then she asked for some water, which came up again ten minutes later. It seems to be full of snot. Is that a likely culprit for causing vomiting or is it more likely that there is some other underlying cause? She is fine in herself, no temperature, not lethargic. She has had a snotty nose since Christmas, pretty much and today is the 'green slug' stage. Again. I've always encouraged her to blow her nose rather than sniff and I've never really noticed her sniff, so I'm guessing she has some post-nasal dripping going on.
However, my sister has a chronic vomiting condition (idiopathic and not self-induced) and we just spent two days at hers. C will not have seen my sister vomit and is not aware that she vomits, but given that my sister has no specific diagnosis, you can imagine the worries creeping in.
Any voice of reason would be most welcome.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Vomiting

Postby StJuniper » 08 Apr 2016, 11:48

P has had two vomiting episodes in the last month or so. For my part, unless it was happening regularly, I assume either tummy bug or they ate something that disagreed with them, and not worry.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Lily » 08 Apr 2016, 13:36

I can see why you'd worry, but really I don't think there's any need to just yet. They pick up bugs all the time - has she been at preschool in the past week, or on public transport, or to soft play or anywhere like that? Izbiz also rarely vomits, perhaps 4 or 5 times in almost 4 years, and it's always a shock when it does happen, but not necessarily a sign of anything serious. Little bodies can just be a bit more sensitive; they get a fever more easily than adults, and just generally respond more dramatically than us to minor bugs.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 08 Apr 2016, 14:20

She was at nursery for 3 hours on Monday, then we went to see my sister for a couple of days and came back via Ikea at Lakeside. So a whole host of opportunities for all kinds of bacteria and viruses to hitch a ride. Poor poppet, she's crashed out on (a towel on) the sofa, so it seems a lot like the last time. She's just been bombarded since Christmas but has been mostly fine but with a snotty nose, but she has an intermittent hacking cough and I reckon she must just be run down. I say this every time, but it's particularly moments like these when I really miss my Mum, as a quick phone call would reassure me that this is normal and she'll be fine. So this place is invaluable to me at those times, so thanks for taking the time to answer :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Cofa's Tree » 08 Apr 2016, 16:20

Hope she feels better soon LL and shakes the bugs off
Cofa's Tree

Postby lizandimo » 08 Apr 2016, 16:28

I hope she feels better soon LL! If it's any help, DD had a cold a couple weeks ago and the first day that it was really bad, she was sick quite a few times in the morning, and it was all phlemy, so I think it was to do with her swallowing lots in her sleep.
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby mamapup » 08 Apr 2016, 19:49

Hope she's OK. I think some.kids are sick and some get fever and it's scary when you kid gets the one they don't normally get. Both mine are sick but never get fevers so I get scared by a high temperature.

Hope she's OK now.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ChristmasGift » 08 Apr 2016, 20:17

There is a bug going round at the moment. The Babs had it the week after the Easter bank hols. She had fever too but they all manifest these things differently and I don't think you are a million miles from us so could well be the same thing.
Hope she's all fine now.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby LucyLastic » 08 Apr 2016, 21:23

I think you're right, mp - she's a fever girl. She just seems to be picking up everything going - snuffly since Christmas, for the most part. She normally gets really clingy which is how I notice she has a high temperature, she goes off her food, drinks more water and sleeps a lot. She's been like that about three times since Christmas, with a runny nose in between. She has complained of a sore throat occasionally, but has been eating and drinking fine. If only she came with error messages that I could look up in her manual :-/ She slept for about three hours this afternoon, then got up and was fine. I gave her a peeled apple and a little water and that stayed down, so she had some rice cakes and a toasted pitta bread later on (and some Twiglets that she sneaked, so I'm hoping she's on the mend!)
She's gone to bed sleeping on a towel over the sheet, just in case.
Thanks for the thoughts. I know (hope) it's just a bug, but it's always reassuring to just hear from you all :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Random Thoughts