Weird diet and no clue for breakfast - any ideas please?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Weird diet and no clue for breakfast - any ideas please?

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 04 Feb 2016, 10:59

So the iodine free diet has started and it's more of a PITA than I'd imagined!

I have no clue at all what to have for breakfast! Here is what I can't have:
Fish or seafood
Eggs (yolks to be exact but I don't like egg whites on their own!)
Red food colouring
Dairy
Iodized salt

It's the salt which is the problem - not because I eat much of it (as in added) - but it's in everything and there is no way of knowing or guaranteeing which salt has been used. So anything which is prepared before buying from a shop is a no go.

I've made some dairy free bread but don't know what to put on it. I had chopped tomato/peppers/herbs yesterday (bruschetta, basically!) which was lovely, but I can't have that every day! Every time I think of something to cook, there is a "but" in there - usually in the form of salt - stocks for example. I need to get around to making my own, so at least I can have soups!!!

But breakfast - not a clue. Aside from fruit.

Really - it's easier to not eat!

I can't have tea - soya milk has sea salt in it! :scream
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: Weird diet and no clue for breakfast - any ideas please?

Postby Marrow » 04 Feb 2016, 11:04

Nut butter (no added salt versions) with or without jam
Hummous-type chickpea or bean spreads (probably with less garlic than actual hummous)
Porridge made with water/juice
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Treeb » 04 Feb 2016, 11:07

You could make oatmeal/porridge with water instead of milk.

If you have a food processor you could make peanut butter to have on your bread. Or make hummus with beans cooked from dry. Or dip it in olive oil.

Try a more savory breakfast like rice and veggies.

X-posted
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby emzit » 04 Feb 2016, 12:47

Frittata or omelettes with just egg white? Can you replace milk with almond milk? I would do that and have porridge. Juice based smoothies?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby junglewonderland » 04 Feb 2016, 13:12

Porridge, avocado on toast, leftovers?
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby mamapup » 04 Feb 2016, 13:46

I had avocado on bagel this morning and had made banana and oat cookies for kids.
One cup of.oats, blitz to powder, mix w mashed bananas (2) shove in raisins and drop.dollops on baking tray. Cook for 15 mins on 175. Mime are a bit heavy but the puppy loves them and I think if they were smaller they'd be great. Dip in soya yoghurt. Yum.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 04 Feb 2016, 13:58

Overnight oats - oats, grated apple, a splash of juice, handful of nuts or raisins if you like; mix and leave in the fridge overnight. They go really creamy, and require zero effort in the morning!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby ches » 04 Feb 2016, 14:35

You can make hash browns (fried grated potatoes) and lots of things on that theme. Corn meal porridge, oat milk. Pancakes using just egg whites.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby LucyLastic » 04 Feb 2016, 15:23

Breakfast muffins? I have a recipe for peanut butter and banana ones, if you'd like it, or blueberry and cinammon oaty ones. They use unsweetened almond milk and dates for sweetening.
I found a recipe for chocolate nut butter if you'd like it. I only ever make my bread with olive oil or rapeseed oil. It's easier to incorporate into the dough, and the final loaf keeps better and has a better crumb.
You could make fruit and nut couscous - add strawberries, raspberries, toast sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, flaked almonds, hazelnuts in dry pan. Drizzle with honey or some orange juice if you want.
You could make a stack of buckwheat galettes and reheat as you need. Super easy, 1 part buckwheat flour to 2 parts water (e.g 500g flour to 1 litre cold water). Mix until smooth, cover, put in fridge for a couple of hours to rest, make as for normal pancakes, brush pan with oil, etc. You can have them with tomatoes, mushrooms, caramelised onions, sautéed potatoes. Or if you prefer sweet, you could have them with caramelised bananas, or toast some walnuts and have them with apple sauce.
Potato and courgette fritters, with an egg white to bind. Or you could use sweet potato with shallots. Or potato cakes, with cold mashed potato - mix in spring onions, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peas. You could probably make a load, freeze then reheat as needed.
Hugh F-W has a recipe for 'soaked nuts', if you'd like me to forward that? Just let me know if you want recipes for any of the things I mentioned.

I'm also another fan of avocado on toast, preferably with a little chopped chilli in it, or chilli sauce over it. But you might not be as hard core at breakfast time as I can be!

Most salt these days doesn't appear to be iodised. I just looked in my cupboard and none of mine lists potassium iodide in the ingredients (or anything other than an anti-caking agent) and I believe that's what is commonly used. Apparently, it is more of an American thing than British, where it was added to salt to combat deficiencies, as it wasn't present in the soil in some areas. I should imagine sea salt is more likely to naturally contain a little iodine, whereas table salt is more likely to be good ol' NaCl.

Treat yourself to fruit you might not otherwise have, like fresh pineapple, melons or grapefruits. What with it being February, ideal! ;-) Make some mint sugar or basil sugar to sprinkle on the top.

Hope you find something that gets you through these couple of weeks x
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby bigcatmaniac » 04 Feb 2016, 19:25

I am having cinnamon granola paleo style with a grated Apple, berries, chia seeds and almond milk at the mo as on weight loss thing (alternating with eggs though) or a chia seed pudding - coconut milk, fruit, chia seeds and almond milk - mix and chill in fridge and eat the next day. Got the granola recipe on Pinterest. Makes a huge batch - I leave the salt out.

Big cat
bigcatmaniac

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 10 Feb 2016, 10:03

Thank you all for your suggestions! I've been inspired by some of them!! I don't really consider myself a picky eater - I eat EVERYTHING at home - but then I cook it so of course, I don't cook things I don't like!!!! So posts like this make me realise that there are loads of things I don't like!!!!

I came across a list of manufacturers that don't use iodized salt so baked beans and cornflakes are back on the menu!!! Yippeeeeee!!!!! I'm really missing eggs and seafood though!!! And cake. And chocolate!!!!

My dairy free bread is fabulous. I will stick to that recipe from now on. Lucy - you comment about fruit made me laugh. I love things like melon, strawberries etc, but I refuse to eat them in February. It's just wrong!!!! If this was summer time, it would be easy - salads wouldn't be a problem. But cold food when it's blowing a hooley or 3 degrees outside really isn't appealing!!!

And soya milk is back on the menu! Hurrah for tea!!!!! I looked at every single carton of milk in Tescos and every dairy alternative contains sea salt - EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! Then a Macmillan nurse I'm in contact with said that sea salt is fine as most of the iodine is removed during the drying process! Phew!!!!

Only 1 week to go. And I've lost 4lbs!!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Marrow » 10 Feb 2016, 10:40

I know you've said it's back on the menu anyway, but just to note that you can make your own almond or oat milk - whizz water and nuts / oats, leave for a bit, strain through a muslin.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Return to Random Thoughts