Storms and staying in.

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Storms and staying in.

Postby qbm » 01 Feb 2016, 08:39

Not quite sure if I have a point to this thread other than to muse.

There is yet another storm today. We didn't go out last Tuesday at all because there was a bad storm. Roof tiles off kind of storm. Wed, Thurs the girls were both in nursery. Fri they didn't go out due to another very bad storm. Saturday morning we woke up to snow, played out in the morning. Yesterday they were both unwell so stayed in. Today I was really looking forward to going out and there's another bloody storm. It's pretty bad out and it's forecast to get even worse by the afternoon. So much so that OH is planning on leaving work at lunch to get home before it hits. There was a really bad accident here during Friday's storm where 3 people lost their lives, one only 9 years old.

Yet here I am feeling guilty for staying in. I feel like I'm just being lazy.

How do you know where to draw the line between staying safe and getting out in all weathers?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Re: Storms and staying in.

Postby busmother » 01 Feb 2016, 10:10

I think you have to do what you feel. I love going out in the wind, but No3 nearly blew over in his buggy on Wednesday, so I have cancelled a couple of things we had planned for this afternoon, and we're staying in. No need to feel guilty. It can't go on like this forever (can it?). You'll get outside again soon.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby qbm » 01 Feb 2016, 10:37

Well I've just watched a man struggle to walk along the canal path so I'm feeling less guilty. I'm not sure I could get the buggy all the way to town.

I'll maybe take them out for a wander in the wind before lunch and just stay close to home.

You're right. The weather will change soon... I'm sure... <crosses fingers>
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Treeb » 01 Feb 2016, 14:42

I don't even have the excuse of storms. We're having an extremely mild winter and I'm still having trouble making it outside every day. For me it is scheduling issues - between baby naps, nursing, lunch for everyone, more baby naps, L napping, etc. it just seems like there is a very limited window of time that we can get out. And A won't nap in the stroller, she just cries, so I can't take them out at nap time like I always did when L was tiny.

I figure as long as you do your best to get out most days, it's not going to hurt them to be in the house for a day or two (or more sometimes.) I try to counter balance it with active indoor activities like a dance party, a maze on the floor, "Simon says", throwing a ball at a target, etc.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby qbm » 01 Feb 2016, 18:21

We were like that for ages too Treeb. DD2 would maybe doze for half an hour in the pram but in her cot she'd do a three hour stint, minimum. It was precious me and DD1 time so I wasn't ever keen on going too far away.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby DandelionFrosting » 02 Feb 2016, 01:05

We're also staying in a lot without any good excuses, except for the fact that it takes half an hour to catch them all and put socks and jackets on, and no matter how badly they want to go out they always wander away with one sock on or sit in front of the closet doing nothing for 20 minutes and then yell when I try to help them. I'm sure I read somewhere, though, that boredom builds creativity, so I'm choosing to feel virtuous about that.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby junglewonderland » 02 Feb 2016, 04:24

That sounds like a really bad run of weather. When things settle down I reckon you won't feel guilty, but will feel sensible instead! We haven't got out much lately due to the heat.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Feb 2016, 15:05

Grrr JW is all I can say to you as I sit here feeling chilly lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to Random Thoughts