Moving tips?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Moving tips?

Postby Treeb » 26 Jan 2016, 19:59

So we are buying a new house! Yay! Our closing is scheduled for this Friday, but we won't be moving in for another month or so. We have our current lease through the end of March, so we're planning to spend the next few weekends on any cleaning the new house needs and a few small projects. Then once we move we'll have a few weeks leeway to get this apartment cleaned up in order to turn in our keys. Basically we're trying to keep things as stress free as possible and give ourselves plenty of time to get things done.

So does anyone have any great tips for making the rest of the moving process stress free? Packing or unpacking tips? Ways to make the transition easier for L? (A won't care as long as she still has Mommy's arms and warm milk whenever she wants, and brother to laugh at!)
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Re: Moving tips?

Postby mamapup » 26 Jan 2016, 20:48

Congratulations! My.honest tip is to throw whatever money you can at the move! We paid for packers to come, pack and take to new house. Made life so very much easier. We didn't pay to have them unpack but I sort of wish we had. Also have other people around to take kids to park for an hour or two at a time so you can just zoom through boxes.

Ensure enough kroomequipment and play stuff is available, oh and make up beds for kids first so their rooms feel like home immediately.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 26 Jan 2016, 21:01

Keep the kids out of the way on moving day. I'm not sure how this translates to your staggered-move situation, but when we moved here, I took Izbiz to my parents' place the day before; DH liaised with the movers, got beds set up etc, then we arrived the next day.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Marrow » 27 Jan 2016, 09:31

If you think you might have stuff in boxes for more than a few days, label the boxes simply and in big writing on several sides (box 1, 2...) and spend the time itemising on a computer (just in a text document) what is in each of the boxes. Then you have a searchable list of where to find things. If you try to label the boxes in more detail then a) you will never get everything on the box label and b) you have to read all the labels to find the one thing you need.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Treeb » 27 Jan 2016, 21:21

We aren't planning to hire movers. We're more DIYers for this kind of thing I guess. Mp, I think I'd feel really weird about having someone else do my packing or unpacking for me! I'm also taking it as a chance to really organise things, eliminate things we don't need, etc.

Getting the kids beds sorted first is a good idea. Will help it start to feel more like home and like they have their own space.

We'll start packing up some infrequently used things and bringing over a few boxes while we're in the cleaning and projects phase, but we'll rent a truck to move all the furniture and most of the boxes on one big "moving day." Dh has some friends from work who will help with the lifting and my parents will come out too. I'm thinking my mom and I might go off somewhere with the kids so we're not underfoot, and leave the others to do the moving.

Marron, I love the idea of an itemized list. Dh may think I've gone crazy though - he already seemed to think I was odd for wanting to write on the boxes he already packed to say which room they belong in!

Treeb

Postby Marrow » 27 Jan 2016, 22:28

We have boxes that got packed in 2008, and I know what is in each of them. When there were loads more it was REALLY helpful to be able to type 'drill' into a search box and for the computer to tell me that my drill was in box 37 (or whatever!). Good luck with it!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby emzit » 27 Jan 2016, 23:52

We haven'tkved since having the kids but want to buy somewhere with a flatter garden at some point in the next year or two so have talked about it with muncher - his main concern was that we would leave all our stuff here and didn't want to move, so I guess my top is to make sure L knows what will be happening, and that everything and everyone will be coming too.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Treeb » 30 Jan 2016, 04:28

We're officially homeowners now! :D It doesn't feel quite real yet, but I'm sure it will start to sink in soon the more time we spend in the house. Sent over today to take inventory of everything that needs cleaning and fixing. It's not in too bad of shape, but does need general all over cleaning and a few small updates.

Thanks for the tip, emzit. I don't think L fully understands yet that it is our house now and we'll be living there, but I think it's starting to sink in for him a bit after spending a few hours there today. When we first got there he was questioning why our realtor wasn't with us and whether it was ok to be there without her. I've been trying to tell him what we'll be using each room for, which will be his, etc. Also tried to get him to pick some toys to bring over tomorrow in hopes that he can keep himself busy while we clean, but he only said he wanted the tablet...

Treeb

Postby Cofa's Tree » 30 Jan 2016, 07:58

Congrats again Treeb, it's a lovely house - especially the huuuuge tree!
Cofa's Tree

Postby LucyLastic » 30 Jan 2016, 13:52

Congratulations on the exchange :-)

If an itemised list is too time consuming, assuming yu have a camera phone, you could maybe just take pics of boxes, half empty, full, closed and numbered/labelled. Then you could just scroll through your phone to see where something is packed.
I give this advice in the knowledge that we shall be moving at the same time and inevitably will start doing this, but OH won't bother amd it'll be chaos, as always!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby lizandimo » 30 Jan 2016, 16:02

Congratulations Treeb! We moved last May, so dd was probably about a year younger than L - I don't think she really understood quite what was going on until we actually moved our stuff into the new house and slept there. Then she was really happy, in fact she adjusted faster than the poor dog!

I don't really have any good tips, we were quite unorganised with our packing I think! Having lots of helpers is definitely good though, we had one friend who looked after DD while we unpacked stuff and we did make sure we knew where DD's toys were so she would have something to play with.

Good luck! I found the anticipation more stressful than actually moving if that's any help!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Treeb » 31 Jan 2016, 02:05

I love that tree CT. I can't wait to see it all leafed out! We've only seen the house in the fall/winter so far, so it will be fun to see what kind of lovely growing things appear in the spring. Apparently one of the trees in back is a magnolia tree that gets beautiful flowers for just a few weeks.

Photos is a good idea too LL, though knowing us we probably will slack off on any attempts at organization half way through. Good luck with your move too when the time comes!

Thanks lizandimo, you're probably right about the anticipation being worse than the actual event. We spent most of the day there today attempting to clean (somewhat difficult with two little ones wanting attention) and L was totally happy running up and down the stairs, playing outside, etc. He even happily had his nap there sleeping on an air mattress.

Now I just need to figure out how to choose things like curtains/blinds, rugs, and lamps!

Treeb

Return to Random Thoughts