The school places 2016 hand holding thread

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: The school places 2016 hand holding thread

Postby LucyLastic » 26 May 2016, 15:00

Aww, so much for them to learn. They're still babies! I just want to keep her. I say that now, as she is at nursery. In ten minutes, I will be longing for September! (She was a right little madam this morning)
I did find out about the merging. Basically, the school is hugely undersubscribed currently 350ish pupils from 420 available places. By the time C goes, it will be dipping under 300, with only 31 going into a 2 form entry for reception. They are keeping that as is, but the two Y1 & Y2 classes will become 3 classes of Ys1&2. The LEA was unwilling to reduce the form entry to 1 per year as the 'local plan' includes the building of 1,000 homes in the area, so the school places will be needed, so they are allowing the school to go into licensed deficit, as long as they show they are making efforts to balance their budget.
I am not overly concerned about the merging - I think that vertical teaching can be positive in a lot of ways. The new head, who took over last summer, was previously a deputy for 4 years in a school which had mixed classes. I asked abut support for staff, and she assured me they will be given extra time to prepare, as they will have to balance the classes according to age, ability, behaviour and personality. It shouldn't make any difference to teaching though, as it is topic based and so the teacher will differentiate to the various abilities within the class, whether they are Y1 or Y2, which is what they would do anyway. The same set up will apply for Y3 and Y4. To be honest, we don't have much choice anyway. I picked the school because it has a pool and (almost) free swimming lessons, good teaching spaces, I liked the reception teachers, I thought the head was a straight talking woman, which I appreciate, and the place just had a good atmosphere. None of that is affected by the changes and frankly, C won't know any different. I do, however, think a few feathers may be ruffled when the rest of the 'new pupil parents' find out, as we weren't informed prior to applying, and indeed haven't officially been informed even now. I guess they're waiting until they have the parent meeting in June or whenever it is. I only found out because my PT at the gym told me (her kids go there).
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby emzit » 26 May 2016, 20:55

I meant to reply to you before about the mixed classes LL - I talked to my mum about it because she's a former early years teacher and she said mixed classes don't really make much difference as they should be teaching to individual levels anyway.

So we weren't entirely comfortable wth our situation of wait and see, so we went to look at another school which we'd heard mixed things about. And it seemed really lovely - it seemed to take the best from each of the other schools and we can both picture muncher fitting in there. Two form entry totalling around 30-35 so it's a lot smaller than our first choice which will be better. It's a bit of a shift as I'd gone not really expecting to consider it as its further away but actually it's not as bad as I thought. the biggest thing for me is not knowing anyone that will go there but we went to a teddy bear play date yesterday and muncher seemed receptive to going there which is a big step! I know it's not his decision but it makes it easier. I haven't quite talked myself into it yet but I'm heading that way. DH thinks it's the right choice. Feeling happier. Hurrah!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby LucyLastic » 26 May 2016, 21:02

Oh, that must be a relief, emzit. I'm glad you found somewhere you all like, especially if it has everything you're looking for.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Cofa's Tree » 27 May 2016, 07:01

Sounds positive emzit! At least it gives you options for your choice, which is always good.
Cofa's Tree

Postby emzit » 27 May 2016, 09:01

I pretty much told muncher that was where we want him to go today. And he didn't flip out. I'm liking the new school more and more the longer I think about it.

I asked some questions in a local mums group I've just joined and had all good feedback and there was a mum there who was also at the teddy bear play date, and another I already know who's going to have kids there the year after. So the social side is feeling ok too. Plus I found out they run a cafe for parents during assembly ad have a social club too. I think this will be really positive for us.

Going to take muncher for a school tour next week hopefully, and then get him enrolled. Ta all good. :)
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby catkin » 31 May 2016, 20:42

Hamster's preschool are doing carrying stuff on trays practice :) Apparently they already did zip training as I'm sure we never taught her.
Eek school uniform. Skirts, trousers or pinafores? I don't really get pinafores, trousers seem easier, but hardly any reception girls wear trousers and hamster is such a pack animal (nickname mixed metaphor!).
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby LucyLastic » 31 May 2016, 21:05

I bought C a skort from Sainsbury's last week. Looks like a skirt. Is actually shorts. Think it will be a bit more dignified than a skirt. Although I got her skirts and pinafores too. I'd rather put her in trousers, tbh, but they're not allowed 'stretch' trousers and I don't know how tall she'll be in September, so I'm leaving them until autumn. The summer dresses are actually quite cute, if your brain allows you to ignore the pink ginghamness of them (which is just so bloody awful) - they've got a poloshirtesque collar, dropped waist and slit pockets. Anyway. As long as none of it needs ironing...
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Marrow » 01 Jun 2016, 05:33

After looking at photos and videos of school (on their website), C has decided on zip-front pinafores. She prefers wearing dresses anyway, and they seem pretty practical (knicker flashing aside).

We've got our timetable of visits / parents info evening. All kicks off next week with a family coffee morning (which DH and C are go to). Exciting times!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby junglewonderland » 01 Jun 2016, 05:51

CK, I love the idea of tray carrying practice! But school sounds so different to here. No trays, and I'm pretty sure all the kids wear t-shirts, shorts and tracksuits. At least at this age!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby qbm » 01 Jun 2016, 15:13

Knock knock... Can I pop in here? I've not been on this thread as we don't have the whole admissions angst here in Scotland so I feel a bit cheeky just butting in... but... E has her first visit tomorrow afternoon!!!! Her teacher and buddy are coming to meet her at her nursery tomorrow morning then OH and I will take her to school in the afternoon.

I'm home alone today and the house is so empty. I always miss them when they're not here (even if I get to sew undisturbed!) but now, thinking about tomorrow and trying to work out what uniform to get, etc, etc. I feel so teary!!!!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Lily » 01 Jun 2016, 17:48

(((qbm))) and good luck E! Though your post has also made me realise that I've not been alone in the house for more than a year now. I'm actually quite looking forward to the day when Izbiz starts school and B is at nursery. Think I might book a haircut or something!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby emzit » 01 Jun 2016, 21:35

Have a hand qbm! We don't have the angst here either but I've been here for support on choosingn which school. We have finally decided and muncher is enrolled! He liked the school when we visited on Monday but now is quite upset about it. I think it's not the school itself (he wanted to go somewhere else) but the idea of school in general.

We have a pretty lengthy transition period - first session is in 10 days then every month except school hols.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 06 Jun 2016, 07:27

I'm at work, waiting for my computer to boot. DH is taking C to her first settling session (first time she's been inside the school) in half an hour. I want to go too!
Marrow

Postby Cofa's Tree » 06 Jun 2016, 20:39

How did it go Marrow?
Cofa's Tree

Postby Marrow » 07 Jun 2016, 09:30

Cofa's Tree wrote:How did it go Marrow?

She loved it. Apparently, it was somewhat challenging to peel her away from school without tears!

I've got parents info evening on Thurs (hopefully we'll find out the timetable for starting), then another open morning which I'll go to with her a week Monday. Then three shorter story/play sessions which DH will take her to and I think the idea is that he leaves. Then a break, then we start for real!
Marrow

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts