"oops babies"

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Have you ever conceived while using contraceptives?

No. No surprises here!
76%
Yes. We conceived while using a condom.
9%
Yes. We conceived while mom was on the pill (any variation thereof).
4%
Yes. We conceived while mom had an IUD/coil/implant/patch.
No votes
Yes. We conceived despite surgery that should have prevented it (male or female).
No votes
Yes. We conceived while using natural family planning/"pull out"/other such sperm/ovulation awareness methods.
9%
Other. Because there's always an other!
2%

Total votes : 46

"oops babies"

Postby Brigitte » 16 Jun 2014, 04:01

The other poll on vasectomies got me curious about a related topic…

How many of you have ever conceived a baby while actually using a method of contraception? I say "actually" because I don't mean "we were using condoms except for that one time we forgot", I mean "we actually used a condom and yet we still managed to conceive anyway".
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: "oops babies"

Postby Nix » 16 Jun 2014, 05:38

I was taking the pill whilst I conceived Harvey. I guess I missed a few days somewhere in the pack. I had a daily alarm set on my phone to remind me to take them but my phone was broken that month. Ooops was definitely not the word that sprung to mind at the time but now I can see it was my best mistake ever.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby FestiveTidings » 16 Jun 2014, 05:45

We conceived while using a condom. The condom was intact (or so it appeared anyway, it hadn't split or anything) but there must have been a hole somewhere!

We definitely did use condoms as we only DTD twice that week and we can both remember!

We were shocked when we find out but that very quickly turned to delight. Best surprise ever :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby RedRum » 16 Jun 2014, 05:55

I was not only on the pill, but R's bio-dad had been told he was sterile and would never have children. He had mumps as a teen, and had sperm checks every year. He got his first ever 'low' shortly before at was born. I also had never had more than two or three periods a year. I was 18 weeks by the time I knew I was pregnant. Like Nix, oops was not the word!
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Disco » 16 Jun 2014, 08:05

S was oops. We were using pull out method, not in any kinds of calculated family planning kind of way, in a drunk and naive kind of way.
Best thing that ever happened to DP and I, brought us back together (we werewe had broken up, this was just a wee 'blip) and the rest is history...
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby Treeb » 16 Jun 2014, 08:29

Disco wrote:S was oops. We were using pull out method, not in any kinds of calculated family planning kind of way, in a drunk and naive kind of way.

Same here, drunken pull out method. We theoretically use condoms for prevention, but we're really pretty bad about it.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby robyn » 16 Jun 2014, 11:15

M was a genuine, (rather stronger expletive than) opps. Greta was planned Ida was the one time that month we dtd and we risked it.... I have also got pg on the pill and another time using a condom, but it came off. We need to do something permanent because I get pg waaaay too easily.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby eterna » 16 Jun 2014, 16:51

DD was definitely planned - three months off the pill using condoms, then two weeks of intentional DTD did the trick. With DS though, I had stopped taking the pill and we were still intending to use condoms for a few more months. According to the calendar, I should have been done ovulating a few days previous, so we should have been safe. I made it very clear to DH that there was still a decent chance without a condom, but his words "oh no, I"m sure it's fine"...So only a bit of an oops in that it was a month or two earlier than we were thinking, but not so much an oops that it was totally a surprise and/or unwanted.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby pimento » 16 Jun 2014, 18:43

We TTC Big E for 18 months... then when I got broody, mid-PhD, I thought, 'Well, let's start trying now and maybe I'll be pregnant as I'm finishing the PhD'. Haha, joke was on me, just 2 months later. I pee'd on the stick and the first thought in my head was- How am I going to tell my supervisor? And then I shouted down the stairs- Oh sh**, I'm pregnant. Haha.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby adelahorn36 » 19 Apr 2016, 19:34

Brigitte wrote:The other poll on vasectomies got me curious about a related topic…

How many of you have ever conceived a baby while actually using a method of contraception? I say "actually" because I don't mean "we were using condoms except for that one time we forgot", I mean "we actually used a condom and yet we still managed to conceive anyway".

There are about 15 different types of contraceptives which allow you to enjoy sex without the risk of getting pregnant. These birth control methods include: condoms, the diaphragm, birth control pills, implants, IUDs (intrauterine devices), sterilization and the emergency contraceptive pill. Many of these methods of contraception also lower your chance of getting an STI. For more info about main methods of contraception please visit
adelahorn36

Postby busmother » 20 Apr 2016, 10:03

that's really helpful adela - thank you! Having had an oops baby second time around (because we'd been trying to conceive for 6 years before we had IVF buses, so we didn't really bother with contraception after), I really had no idea there were ways you could stop babies coming. I will bear that in mind from now on.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby junglewonderland » 20 Apr 2016, 13:48

Wow, great info! Someone should like, teach this stuff to kids in schools or something! It's a bit late for us weaners.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Return to Random Thoughts