The GTFTS Thread

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: The GTFTS Thread

Postby Kitcameron » 25 Jun 2016, 23:18

Please CM, I'm begging you, GTFTS in your own bed without all the shouting and screaming.

Please help me ladies, I have no idea what to do. My good little sleeper has started among in the night since getting chicken pox and now the only time she'll settle to sleep in her bed is bedtime. Great! I hear you say. What's the problem? The problem is when she wakes she then won't go back to sleep unles it's in my arms, and if she does fall asleep in my arms I can't transfer her to bed without waking her and her starting screaming again. Got up to her at 4am this (yesterday) morning and could t get her back to sleep so eventually got up at 5am. Tonight she woke at 10.30!!!!!! And I can't get her back to sleep. DH is fuming listening to her cry and wants to take her out in the car so she goes to sleep but I doubt he'll be able to get her back into bed so he's planning on just sleeping in the car with her, but that's not sustainable long term. I've tried coming through and just cuddling but she just screams for Mummy milk. Ive tried feeding her but as soon as I stop and try and put her to bed she screams for more. Ive tried leaving her just to yell until she falls asleep but next door are banging on the wall at her. I just don't know what to do. She's woken SM up whose really poorly with the pox Atm. For lack of a better plan I've agreed with DH that I she's not asleep withi. The next 45 mins he can take her out but I doubt I'll sleep very well for worrying about hi. Driving whilst angry and he certainly won't so we'll have a crap day tomorrow with a knock on effect for the rest of the week.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 26 Jun 2016, 08:22

((((KC)))) It's so frustrating when you know they need to sleep and they're fighting it like that :(

FWIW, when P started waking at all hours, we unscrewed his lightbulb, put a childproof knob on his door, and left him to it. He fell asleep on the floor a lot for a while, but eventually got better. When R had his waking phase, we couldn't leave him in there bc he'd disturb P, but if he came out without a good reason/refused to go back to sleep without kicking up a fuss, he had to go sit in the closet very briefly (my theory being it was the only place in the house he'd enjoy less than his own bed in the middle of the night!) in my experience, hope was the enemy for both boys-- once they'd got into the notion that the could get up in the night, waking a would just get more frequent and unmanageable until we found a way to reinforce for them that staying in bed all night was inevitable and nonnegotiable, and then they immediately started sleeping through again. My approach to this was obviously more on the hardline side but I'm sure there are other ways to reinforce this, I just could never think of them at 3am!

Do your girls share? We had to set up Scout Kid on the couch in the TV room for a bit while we dealt with Feral Kid's night wakings, so we could tough out his protests without worrying about waking Scout Kid.

Our Gro-Clock style owl also helped, but not until we'd gotten over the worst of things... Hope you get an ok sleep tonight and figure this out soon,
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Jun 2016, 18:28

She's still in a cotbed so can't escape and I tried just leaving her last night but she just cried for so long the neigbourso T really pissed with her. Tbh I couldn't give a flying f**k what they think, they knew we had kids before they moved in but the banging just upsets them more, understandably.

I'm hoping it's all just am Ick on effect from the pox and when she's completely better she'll stop waking. We've been out into the peaks today to try and wear them out and to get out of the house so hopefully that'll help. I'm actually dreading bedtime now, mine not theirs lol
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 26 Jun 2016, 18:48

((kc)) It's so rubbish, as soon as you think you're getting somewhere some bloody illness or developmental thing comes along and screws it up! Fingers crossed this is just the CP and once she's fully over it she'll be back to normal. FWIW, Baby Girl's sleep was shit during chicken pox and she was back in bed with me for a week or so (which DH didn't think was a good idea) but it only took a couple of nights to get her back used to the idea of her own bed once she got over it. She's now back to where she'd got to previously which is a few nights a week she will sleep through to something approaching 6am.

DH is currently sitting on her floor trying to get her to sleep now but that's normal too!

Can you stick her in bed with you until she's over this or do you think you're just setting yourself up for more problems?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby mamapup » 26 Jun 2016, 18:49

Ours always responded well to tough love at that age. A few days of being strict and they resettle. It's hard but works.

I was just summoned upstairs by the puppy because he'd apparently told daddy to tell me we had to keep our voices down as he needs his sleep and I wasn't doing that! Not sure how I feel about being summoned and then told off by a four year old!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 28 Jun 2016, 06:56

Tbh I think cosleeping would set us up for more problems. She is very opinionated ATM and will scream if she doesn't get what she wants, anything to limit the screaming (except giving in of course). I'd rather just not go there to start with. She's slept ok the past couple of nights. Crazily I got up with her at 4am the other day and was thinking how nice it would be to be allowed a lie in til 5am. Must remember 5am is not a lie in.

Yesterday it was 4.45 and today 5.30. I've decided to start trying to train her to her groclock again so I've set it for 5am and have decided just to let her tell until that time (as long as it's not too long a wait otherwise next door will go ape sh*t again) Once we've got her staying in bed til 5am I'll just gradually move it on a bit each time. Made a huge fuss of her this morning with it being 5.30 before she woke up.

Also trying dropping her nap a few days a week too. I don't really want her to drop it entirely as I need time to be able to do stuff and I'm sure she still needs it but it is helping her sleep a bit better ATM and I'd rather stay in bed longer in the mornings than get chance for washing later in the day lol.

I'm getting tension headaches at night though as I just lie there hoping and praying she won't wake up.
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 30 Jun 2016, 01:19

:scream Dear Offspring,
GTFTS all three of you. Especially the big two, because every time I have to go through and deal with your bedtime shenanigans, Tumbleweed wakes up and wails. :scream :scream
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Jun 2016, 05:49

Urgh StJ. Hope they settled ok after your post.
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 01 Jul 2016, 03:17

CM GTFTS. We've already been up once tonight and it's still only 4am. Don't turn into the crap sleeper that your sister is. I don't have the strength to night wean you so please just stop waking up.
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 12 Jul 2016, 18:52

CM has officially turned into a sleep monster. She now won't even go to bed at bedtime, taking well over an hour to settle and waking in the night. I'm such a crap mum I just cry and give in. I just don't have the energy to deal with her and I know this is so bad. I don't seem to be able to stay strong and be consistent, which I know is what I need to do. And then I feel bad cos actually loads of people have worse sleepers than me but that doesn't help either.
Kitcameron

Postby ChristmasGift » 12 Jul 2016, 22:09

Big hugs KC. The Babs woke at night until she was 3. It really did me in and I didn't even have the issue of resettling as she did that fine. Night weaning was the answer for us and it was no where near as hard as I thought. Slightly different as we do co-sleep but she stopped waking at night within days of night-weaning.
Does she still nap in the day? When we started having long drawn out bedtimes, dropping the nap was the answer.
I hope you sort something out that works for you soon.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Ali70 » 13 Jul 2016, 08:17

You're not a crap mum. Its really hard. Like CG, night weaning was the answer for us too and nowhere near as hard as I expected. I completely understand that finding the energy for that when you're knackered already feels impossible, but it only took us a few nights for things to improve and after 5 days she was sleeping through so if you and DH can muster some energy between you, it might be worth a try. Big hugs.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Jul 2016, 12:30

What did you guys do when they screamed for milk? Or did they just not lol? I've tried going in and just lying her down again without talking, I've tried giving her cuddles and putting her back into bed with no milk but both result in screaming and throwing herself around.

I guess I'm also torn becaus Evie tried to be fairly baby led with a lot of things with the girls and she was sleeping through without milk, admittedly not exactly baby led but she was fine so now I don't know if she's waking because she's still not feeling great or habit. She started waking with the chicken pox and now has a bad cough so probably needs a drink during the night but I've tried giving her a water bottle at night and she just managed to tip it everywhere, it was a no spill cup, argh.

Hoping that getting her up from her nap earlier will help with bedtime and things will settle down a bit once she's caught up on sleep a bit after the camping trip but who knows.
Kitcameron

Postby Ali70 » 13 Jul 2016, 14:50

We explained there was no more mummy milk at night, and DH went in to her rather than me for the first few nights. I wasn't up for cry it out so wasn't sure how we'd manage, but we never got anywhere near to that, she whimpered and whinged a bit but was satisfied with cuddles from DH, once she understood that no meant no. Sproglet was a lot younger, so I think if we were doing it now there'd be a bit more fuss, but DH would treat that as a normal tantrum and ignore her and then offer cuddles once she was calmer.

She has a water cup with a built in straw next to her bed and uses that if she's thirsty in the night.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Jul 2016, 18:08

Just had neigbours come round to complain about he noise we make at ALL TIMES OF DAY!!!! What the actual f**k? We're not in a lot of the day anyway. The boyfriend, who doesn't even live there, has complained about her not settling til 8pm and says they're being woken in the night and at 5.30 by something like an alarm vibrating. My child does not vibrate. The only thing in our house that vibrates is DHs Fitbit but if that doesn't wake me I can't see how it wakes someone on the other side of their house. CM won't settle again tonight and do am I just expected to pander to her wants and whims every night just sitting back as she gets worse and worse. How is that helping anyone. Sat here in tears as I just do t know what to do.
Kitcameron

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts