Practical Parenting Magazine Article (Copied from Blog)

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Practical Parenting Magazine Article (Copied from Blog)

Postby admin » 21 Aug 2007, 09:49

I feel a wee bit sorry for the writer, by the way. I know she was pretty convinced by the end of our discussion, was even talking about trying BLW with her next baby... I reckon Lansgrim's comments (which I've cut and pasted from Random Thoughts) may be rather close to the truth.

Anyway, I thought I'd make this into a Proper Post so as to give you a place to come and bitch about the fact that it is clearly not in the interests of children's magazines to promote a healthy way for children to eat. At least not when there's nothing to advertise in their pages in return for favourable coverage, that is...

So here are your comments thus far. Any more, add them to this post and it'll keep them together.

Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Bunny on Mon 30 Jul 2007 18:31 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
;-) Well done girly. I thought the article was a bit condescending, but you came across well. No surprises that AK isn't a fan!

Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Bruno & mum on Mon 30 Jul 2007 18:43 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
I don't buy the mag normally but will try & find it unless someone can find the article on their website?

Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Aitch on Mon 30 Jul 2007 21:13 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
how exciting... what did i say? am i a guru now?
must buy it tomorrow, i thought it was supposed to be going into next month's issue so wasn't paying attention. [story of my life]

Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Bigpud on Tue 31 Jul 2007 11:15 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
Aitch, as I posted before, you really should be getting all this wit n wisdom together for a book.

I've been going through taking notes ready to wean Pudding (any day now!!!) as I can't get at the computer when DH is busy lurking on political talkboards and Manics forums (he's soooo sad, truly).

I would love to have all this stuff in print! Maybe I'm a bit of a luddite and should embrace a paper free electronic world but I just love books. Reminds me, I must sort the many teetering piles before Pud is crawling properly!

Go on Aitch, publish!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Aitch on Tue 31 Jul 2007 11:36 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
well i do rather keep expecting to be contacted by some enterprising publisher but it does seem like they are too busy editing Jordan's many autobiogaphies to trawl the interweb for ideas. there was a tickle of interest a while back but it's come to naught, alas. still, if any of you have any friends who have any friends etc... that's often the way these things get picked up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Aitch on Tue 31 Jul 2007 12:16 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
I've seen the article now...

all i'm saying is that i wonder if there is a link between Annabel Karmel's massive advertising spend, her lavishly illustrated (presumably from stock photos, so free to PP) 6-page weaning guide and the fact that an otherwise reputable parenting magazine allowed her to spread misinformation about a weaning movement that threatens her whole business?

i wonder...?

did anyone notice her advising people to start weaning at 5 months, in direct contravention of the Dept of Health guidelines? amazing. although i suppose she'll have to pull that kind of stunt because if you wait til 6 months you risk them starting to FEED THEMSELVES.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Bruno & mum on Tue 31 Jul 2007 14:35 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
grrr - no magazine anywhere in Pimlico!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Bruno & mum on Tue 31 Jul 2007 13:43 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
Would be good to have all this information in a book. Whilst I love my computer & the internet, I still use recipe books & have baby books rather than research on the net alone.

Not sure I've got any friends in publishing though...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Moomin on Wed 01 Aug 2007 07:04 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
I can't find the article. Is it in August issue? I tried to read it in the newsagents, but I was taking to long and getting suspicious looks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by Aitch on Wed 01 Aug 2007 10:54 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
it's the issue with the baby on the cover, moomin... lol.
says on the front 'purees or solids, we give you the true story' but nevertheless comes up with a largely bullshit story. don't know the issue, don't have it to hand. AK has a much-vaunted 6-page weaning guide being trumpeted on the front, as well as a lot of ads for her new baby dish range. she's a very industrious woman, isn't she?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have we discussed Aitch being in Practical Parenting Magazine?
by lansgrim on Wed 01 Aug 2007 11:50 BST | Profile | Permanent Link
Interestingly enough I gave an interview with the journalist (when I say I gave an interview please read - I answered questions she had via email!) on being a new BLW mum (Munchkin is nearly 8 months old and has been BLW since 6 months old). So I answered all her questions but it would seem I was a bit too enthusiastic for the editor as the poor journalist got back to me apologising that my account was too positive for the editor and that she couldn't use it!
Having worked for a big multi-national company I understand the pressures the editors are under because anything controversial that they seem to endorse in the magazines puts them at risk of losing advertisers from the big corporations. As the advertiser pays more to the magazine than the reader, the advertiser comes first. So until someone starts making money out of BLW and starts advertising it don't expect to see too much positive info on it in the press - sad but true!!!
Which just means we need to find a publisher for Aitch!
admin
Site Admin

Postby urbandryad » 30 Aug 2007, 17:34

i haven't seen the issue or the interview, but of course AK isn't going to be a fan of BLW, there's no money in it. You can't buy the BLW ice cube trays, or the BLW snack pots, or the BLW weaning spoons, or any of the other tat that seems to go with weaning. (although, one product that would be useful is a good BLW bib - i'm thinking some sort of coverall in the same material they make children's anoraks from!)

maybe we should put Annabel Karmel and Gill Rapley up in Celebrity Deathmatch or something? :wink:
urbandryad

celebrity deathmatch

Postby Aitch » 30 Aug 2007, 17:40

oh i'm so glad it wasn't me who suggested that. mind you i bet AK is a right little spitfire when she gets going...
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby urbandryad » 30 Aug 2007, 18:25

it'd be hilarious - mind you. i bet AK would win, with some sort of whirling deathspoon combo :?
urbandryad

Postby Bunny » 30 Aug 2007, 19:58

Nah, she'd just smack you with her harp... :wink:

So, what instrument do you play, Aitch, that entitles you to be a weaning expert?
Bunny

Postby Aitch » 30 Aug 2007, 20:08

why the spoons, of course. badoom-tish! :D
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 10:14

Groan

If you put them in a death match Gill would be very polite and ladylike, while Annabel would stamp her feet and say "I said it first! Wah! Wah! Wah!"

Oh dear, horrible thought, lets hope AK and GF don't get talking!

PS, good BLW bibs in Tesco "Look I am feeding myself!" It's the name of their range and they have a bib with it on and a picture of a pig eating, it has long sleeves, the neck is a little baggy (but as I've said before, Tink is only in 3-6) so I have to tie it rather than use the Velcro. They also have a cute WPC one I got for her which isn't fabric so it cleans easily. It says not to machine wash, but my dad did and has a few times and it's fine.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 10:40

tut tut tink, that's the sort of thing that merits it's own topic... c'mon, stretch out... let the newbies have the benefit of your experiience. :wink:
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 10:41

tut tut tink, that's the sort of thing that merits it's own topic... c'mon, stretch out... let the newbies have the benefit of your experiience. :wink:
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 10:44

It's not my fault, I was replying to a post. I'll repost it some where else.

I have to say I'm enjoying this extra room, it is like when I moved from a studio to a two bed where each room is the size of my old flat lol :D
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 11:17

Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 11:18

weird... it posted twice. oh well, this is why we've not told anyone else about the forum yet, so we can get these little things ironed out.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 11:26

Actually, there are two before my post and one after!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby cloviscat » 31 Aug 2007, 17:39

TinkerbellesMum wrote:
PS, good BLW bibs in Tesco "Look I am feeding myself!" It's the name of their range and they have a bib with it on and a picture of a pig eating, it has long sleeves,

Can I say a word of caution about these bibs? I bought one a wee while ago, and the plastic backing has just shredded. In compariuson the one I bought in Sainsbury (albeit with a ghastly bit of text on it) is still going strong, and the ones I bought for weaning Fruit (5+ years ago) in Mothercare are still going strong.

Struggling to find the sort of multipack of sleevey bibs that I bought last time. Now there sold singly and the prices are extorionate! Any suggestions please?
Cloviscat
Mum to:
Beeble - July 06
Fruit - April 02
cloviscat

Postby AB&M » 31 Aug 2007, 18:38

No suggestion other than possibly ebay? I'm looking to so fight you for them!!
AB&M

Next

Return to Random Thoughts