mould in rental property - whose responsibility?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: mould in rental property - whose responsibility?

Postby Biddy » 20 Aug 2013, 15:10

My mum came up with an idea to set up a national website where tenants can name landlords/agents who have treated them badly and share their stories, so others can avoid them and so landlords/agents can't get away with the same tricks all the time and have an incentive to improve their service. It would need to be regulated in some way but quite a good idea I thought.
There certainly needs to be something in place and enforced to prevent these things from happening repeatedly.
In other European countries regulations are very strict and are enforced. Landlords could never get away with the stuff they do here, or tenants for that matter!
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby robyn » 20 Aug 2013, 16:24

Something has to happen, we're fast turning into a nation of renters, especially around London it's not just sharers/first jobbers who rent anymore, it's grown ups and professionals with families, people who won't put up with shoddy treatment so easily.
I'd happily rent for life if there were rent controls and security of tenure.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby andersenmiller » 14 Sep 2016, 09:19

We all know that mold is one of the newest environmental hazards causing concern among renters. Across the country, tenants have won multimillion-dollar cases against landlords for significant health problems -- such as rashes, chronic fatigue, nausea, cognitive losses, hemorrhaging, and asthma -- allegedly caused by exposure to "toxic molds" in their building.

According to me if the landlord doesn't take care of leaks and mold grows as a result, you may be able to hold the landlord responsible if you can convince a judge or jury that the mold has caused a health problem.
andersenmiller

Postby andersenmiller » 21 Sep 2016, 10:38

Mold comes in various colors and shapes. The villains -- with names like stachybotrys, penicillium, aspergilus, paecilomyces, and fusarium -- are black, white, green, or gray. Some are powdery, others shiny. Some molds look and smell disgusting; others are barely seen -- hidden between walls, under floors and ceilings, or in less accessible spots, such as basements and attics.

With a few exceptions, landlord responsibilities regarding mold have not been clearly spelled out in building codes, ordinances, statutes, or regulations. Below is a discussion of the few states and cities that do have mold laws, and an explanation of how landlords can be held responsible for mold problems even absent specific laws governing mold.

Federal Law on Mold

No federal law sets permissible exposure limits or building tolerance standards for mold in residential buildings.

State Laws on Mold

Only a few states have taken steps toward establishing permissible mold standards. California, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, and Texas are among the few that have passed laws aimed at developing guidelines and regulations for mold in indoor air.

Andersenenviro {link removed by Mod}
Environmental consultant
andersenmiller

Postby EnigmaFish » 28 Sep 2016, 22:38

Just for the craic, I decided to approve (what I assume is) a spammer's post on mould. 'Cause every once in awhile, we all need an informational lecture on mould...
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby LucyLastic » 30 Sep 2016, 08:37

Every day's a school day with our informative team of spammers. They just want to share their knowledge! :-D
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby sabrina fair » 01 Oct 2016, 20:10

EnigmaFish wrote:Just for the craic, I decided to approve (what I assume is) a spammer's post on mould. 'Cause every once in awhile, we all need an informational lecture on mould...

Good call! I've learnt a lot :-D
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts