BLPT Guidelines

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: BLPT Guidelines

Postby ches » 15 Jan 2009, 14:07

Sorry, got to dash to work. It's not learned bladder control around 9 months, it's that emptying the bladder is no longer involuntary (like breathing). It's a bit of a continuum from that point (e.g. no longer wee in their sleep, or continually make small wees) to deliberately holding in the full bladder to wee on the toilet. Gina Ford potty training waits until they've got the holding it in and waiting so well entrenched that they don't have accidents, but the problem with it is that it assumes that your child is highly adaptable and happily adjusts to a huge paradigm shift. Sadly it's not always the case.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby bella » 10 Feb 2009, 20:27

Interesting, I've only just read this thread. I'd have loved to have started potty stuff earlier but with the new baby arriving just as Teengy got really keen (she was 15 months) I didn't have the energy but also didn't want to introduce a big change at a time of upheaval anyway. Now, Teengy is 2 and has all the signs of readiness.... except, she NEVER wakes up dry. She has never in her whole life woken up dry after a night. Usually her nappies are really heavy... Katherine - she sounds just like the Monster, I'm glad it's just not her. So I'm really unsure. Especially when this is supposed to have started happening at 9 months :scream :wink: She is massively keen in the idea, will sit on the potty at nursery and sometimes for me (though usually refuses to remove her nappy) but has never done anything in the potty. Which is fine but I dont' think I'll be doing BLPT type stuff, it'll just be the regular old potty training I think.

Beebs is 9 months now and I'd be tempted to start with her now and do them both together :bsmile
DD1 is a BLW veteran of 2 and DD2 is happily doing BLF (baby led flinging) at 10 months.
bella

Postby AB&M » 10 Feb 2009, 20:51

Thanks for this list. Very useful as it indicates we aren't ready but we are having fun with wees so its fine to continue :D
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby bella » 10 Feb 2009, 20:59

"we are having fun with wees"

The things you never realise you're going to say until you're a parent :D
DD1 is a BLW veteran of 2 and DD2 is happily doing BLF (baby led flinging) at 10 months.
bella

Postby ches » 11 Feb 2009, 01:19

Bella it's wakes up dry from naps, not overnight. Overnight they wake up slightly in between sleep cycles, wee, go back off, or else wee while in light sleep phase. :wink:
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby HappyEst » 11 Feb 2009, 08:34

This is probably a really stupid question, we're just started this with my little one and we have a potty that my sister in law gave us. It's from john lewis i think, but it seems really uncomfortable. It's very narrow and hard, am i being ridiculous? :oops: We've just started with sitting her on potty after naps and food etc and reading a story or looking at photos, but i know i wouldn't be comfortable sat there. Does anyone have any similar issues or can anyone recommend a good potty? Is there such a thing, or are all pottys uncomfortable?
HappyEst

Postby Eli » 11 Feb 2009, 10:03

The john lewis potty is tiny so for lots of children it is uncomfortable, Munchkin can still wear nappies designed for under 9 months to 1yr at 2 and 3 months so has small bottom and she is comfy on it. Many cheaper 1s are bigger. HTH
Eli

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts