NSPCC on bringing up baby C4

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

NSPCC on bringing up baby C4

Postby susanjayneh » 15 Oct 2007, 16:13

Just got this email from them:

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your email. The NSPCC is warning parents that ‘Bringing up Baby’ is publicising outdated and potentially harmful methods of baby care and is calling on TV executives to be more careful when making such programmes.

The programme has provoked one of the highest levels of inquiries the charity has experienced in recent years, with more than 60 messages from viewers expressing their concerns at some of the methods it promotes.

One method tested in the programme relies on what the NSPCC considers as strict, inflexible routines which deny eye contact between parent and baby during feeding, promote limited cuddling and leave infants to cry alone for long periods. These rigid routines appeared to leave some babies and parents taking part in the programme in distress.

NSPCC parenting advisor Eileen Hayes said: “Suggesting that a small baby could be ‘manipulative’ is discredited and can lead to potentially damaging patterns of care. Similarly leaving babies to cry for long periods is stressful and research suggests it may be damaging. Strict authoritarian routines pay little attention to parents’ natural instincts about their infants or the wealth of research that has shown the importance of early sensitive care for health and well-being. It’s the most natural thing in the world for a mother to want to cuddle and make eye contact with her newborn - and babies love it as well.

“Babies are born with a social instinct and communicate through touch, sound, eye contact and facial expressions. This sensitive communication plays a vital role in attachment, and ensuring that infants develop a sense of trust and security, which gives a firm foundation for their growing sense of identity and self-esteem.

“The first weeks after birth are a crucial period when parents and babies get to know one other. It can be a very challenging time when vulnerable parents are particularly anxious to get advice about the best way to care for their baby. Programme-makers must recognise that some viewers may consider what they see as an approved method. They have a responsibility to tell viewers when methods are widely disputed by health professionals and academics.â€
Susan (Mum to Sam 2.5 & Toby 5 months, 3 weeks)
susanjayneh

Postby Marie77 » 15 Oct 2007, 16:26

It is good that people contact the NSPCC about this show - but only 60????

I am ashamed to admit that I am not one of them :( I think I have to change that.

I bet if that programme was about questionable ways to treat your pets, animal welfare would be overrun with complaints ...
Last edited by Marie77 on 15 Oct 2007, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 15 Oct 2007, 17:19

It looks like they have had so many complaints they have a stock letter to send out!

I hope that awful Claire woman gets prosecuted and C4 too! I've only seen the last one as we couldn't pick up C4 in Menorca so I saw it on On Demand when I got home. It's disgusting! I can see where some of the ideas have come from (not picking up a sleeping baby for example) but it's far too extreme!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby geva » 15 Oct 2007, 20:38

Well at least they've acknowledged it! I'm going to write in to complain too! It's time to make a stand against CV and her reign of terror!!! :D :wink:
geva

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 15 Oct 2007, 21:04

Oh yes, I think it's great they are acknowledging it.

I'm not sure that writing to anyone now is going to do any good, it seems they are already mobilised over it. I personally think the best course of action is to complete the petition on the Number 10 website.

Lets hope that something is done about this all.

PS can you believe people actually pay the she devil to teach them how to abuse their children?
TinkerbellesMum

Postby kitcat » 15 Oct 2007, 23:24

i looked for the petition but couldn't find it! did find some interesting ones in the - rejected petition- pile though

- getting more underwear firms to make suspender belts as the divorce rate has risen since the introduction of tights apparently!
kitcat

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 16 Oct 2007, 12:38

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/parentingshows/

[quote]More details from petition creator:

TV broadcasters seem unable to embrace current knowledge of early brain development and how babies form secure attachments.

Channel 4’s Bringing Up Baby explores three different parenting styles, most worryingly, Truby King. The programme showed seriously distressed infants, and sobbing parents being told to neglect their new baby as part of a routine (“it will soon stopâ€
TinkerbellesMum

Postby geva » 16 Oct 2007, 15:02

Ok, done I think..though waiting for conformation email from them! Ta.x.
geva

Postby gerbo » 16 Oct 2007, 15:23

Gerbo.x.
gerbo

Postby Aitch » 16 Oct 2007, 16:04

Aitch
Site Admin

Postby AB&M » 16 Oct 2007, 18:45

I adhered to the baby whisperer book in Bruno's first few months having read it cover to cover whilst pregnant. She believed there were different cries for different needs and Bruno certainly displayed that. However, she found that regularly ignoring crying or constantly getting the cues wrong over months and months will mean they won't bother trying to tell you what's wrong and will just have the same cry no matter what the problem. Thereby making your attempts to understand said baby even worse.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Sheela » 16 Oct 2007, 18:52

Just signed it too....and will send it on to the other mums I know.
Sheela
Sheela

Return to Random Thoughts